Skip to Content

Colonial Cases


Cambrian, 11 Mach 1809

On Saturday, a young man employed in the repair of a West-Indiaman, lying in Holyhead harbour fell from the fore-top upon the deck, and instantly expired.


Cambrian, 4 March 1815

   On Tuesday se'nnight a Coroner's inquest was held in the town of Beaumaris, on the body of Wm. Owen, of Tan y Marian, on the parish of Llangoed; it appeared in evidence that on the preceding evening a large party had assembled at the White Horse public-house, when words ensuing between the deceased and a man of the name of Wm. Jones, they went ought and fought, when the unfortunate sufferer received so violent a blow on the jugular vein as caused his immediate death, leaving a distressed pregnant widow and three small children.  The Jury we understand returned a verdict of - Wilful Murder; on which Jones was committed to the county gaol, to take his trial at the enduing Assizes.


The Cambrian, 11 March 1815

   The body of a sailor was lately cast ashore near Pwllfanog, Angelsea, which had apparently been in the water for some time; he had nothing in his pockets but a few shillings and two Manx notes, one for five shillings the other for half-a-crown.  A silk handkerchief round his neck was marker R. R. S.


Cambrian, 13 September 1817

   A Coroner's inquest was held on Monday at Holyhead, on the body of a child, three months old, who unfortunately met its death on Friday, the 29th ult. by a horse running over him, in the main street. Verdict - Accidental Death.


Cambrian, 16 May 1818

DIED. - At Holyhead, after giving birth to a still-born female child, Louisa Lloyd, wife of A. J. Stevens, Esq. of his Majesty's packet the Uxbridge.


Cambrian, 15 July 1820

   On Friday, as the Prince Regent post coach, was proceeding through Anglesea to Holyhead, when opposite Hendrefaig, from some failing in the structure, it unfortunately upset, when melancholy to relate, an outside passenger, whose name we have heard was Roche, a linen-draper to Dublin, received so severe a contusion in the head, that after lingering a short time, he expired.  A Coroner's Inquest was held, when the Jury unanimously found the verdict - Accidental Death.


Cambrian, 8 December 1821

   An inquest was held on the 20th ult. on the body of George Glynne, who was drowned on board a vessel in the river Mersey.  The deceased was a passenger on board the Cambridge, of Amlwch, in North Wales, bound to Liverpool with pigs.  On Thursday night last, while the vessel was at anchor in Wallasey hole, a violent storm came on, which forced her from her moorings, and she drifted with such violence, as to be rendered wholly unmanageable; she was in consequence driven on shore, and the sea continually washed over her.  The unfortunate sufferer, who was in bed, got up and went on deck, where he laid himself down, but after the tide had receded and left the vessel dry, he was found dead. - Verdict - Perished by cold from the waves washing over him.  Hugh Glynne, father of the above young man, was seen in the rigging of the vessel; he was not observed to be thrown overboard, but it is supposed he was jerked off the vessel; he has not yet been found.


Cambrian, 15 June 1822

   The death of Capt. Greet, of Beaumaris in consequence of the upsetting on the mail from Chester to Holyhead (by which he was a passenger) was noticed in our last paper. - An inquest was subsequently held, and the jury returned a verdict of manslaughter against the coachman, who has been committed to Flint Gaol.


The Cambrian, 20 December 1823


   Humphrey Jones, and his son, pilots, of Penmon, Anglesea, lost their lives, by the sinking of their boat, in pursuing their perilous but praiseworthy avocation during the late terrible storm on Thursday week.


North Wales Gazette (Bangor), 5 May 1825


AWFULLY SUDDEN DEATH. - On The evening of the 31st of March, Mrs. Catherine Lloyd, aged 61, a maiden woman, residing at Cadnant bridge, Anglesey, went to bed in her usual health, and was found the following morning a corpse !


Carmarthen Journal, 20 February 1829

   On Saturday last, an inquest was held at Llangefni, upon the body of Edw. Morris, nailor, who came to his death by the following circumstances:-

   On the evening of Thursday previous, two woman called at the work-shop, and offered some contraband whiskey for sale; when after some agreement, the persons present, among whom was the deceased, bargained for several half pints, the deceased was known to have drunk two half pints nearly, besides what was offered him from the half pints from time to time, which the others had.  He was seen putting out the fire, and locking up the shop door.  Soon after he had been in the house, he was found to be so intoxicated as not to be able to speak a word, after which he was put to bed.  He remained in that state until one in the morning, supported by his wife and daughter, and two other women, when he expired. Verdict ! Died through excessive drinking.

   The excise officer, who was immediately upon the alert, succeeded in securing the whole of the whiskey in possession of the woman.  There is not the least doubt that this noxious liquor is manufactured on the Holyhead coast, imposed upon the ignorant as genuine Irish whiskey.


The Cambrian, 1 August 1829

   The body of the boy that was drowned in Carmarthen river last week, by the sinking of an overloaded boat, was found on Tuesday last, and in the evening of that day an inquest was held on the same before J. Bowen, Esq. Mayor.  Verdict, Accidentally drowned, by the boat being overloaded. Deodand on the boat, one pound.

   On Tuesday last, as a lad about 14 years of age, was driving a cart with hay, at Waincorgan, Carmarthenshire, he unfortunately fell off the shafts, when one of the wheels passed over his head and killed him on the spot.  Verdict, Accidental Death.


Carmarthen Journal, 28 August 1829

FATAL ACCIDENT. - On the night of Wednesday the 12th inst. John Jones, servant of Wm. Pierce, of Talhirion, Anglesey, was found dead on the road near Llangefni, supposed to have died in consequence of a fall from his horse.  The deceased was to have been married on the Monday after Llangefni fair day.


Carmarthen Journal, 28 May 1830


   On the 11th inst. an inquest was held at the parish church of Penrhoslligwy, in the county of Anglesey, by Hugh Wynne, Esq. coroner, on the body of a young man, Hugh Parry, whose corpse was found on Dulas sands about 8 o'clock p.m. on the previous day, by Edward Jones, a cooper, on his way home from Moelfra.  The particulars of the melancholy accident are these:-

   On the 7th of January last, his father, brother, and himself, went in an open boat to endeavour to bring ashore some floating timber seen off Moelfra, and in returning to land their prize, it blowing a severe gale at the time, the boat was suddenly upset, when, melancholy to relate, the father and the before named son were drowned, the surviving son having fortunately got safe in shore.  The father was found, on the day after the accident, on Redward sands, 

   In consequence of the body having been seventeen weeks and four days under water, no exact criterion of his features could, with certainty, be identified; but the brother, who so narrowly escaped a watery grave, was present at the inquest, and ascertained satisfactorily by the clothes that they were  those of his late brother. The verdict was, Accidentally drowned.  After which the body was decently interred the same evening, by the Rev. I. H. Pring. - North Wales Chronicle.


Glamorgan Gazette, 16 November 1833
LLANDWYN. - Last week the body of a man, dressed as a sailor, was washed ashore at LLanddwyn, in Anglesey.  Upon his person was found a certificate of service on board the U.S. revenue cutter Hamilton, by Henrich P. Hanrath, and a letter to the same address, in the German language, dated Hamburgh.  He was supposed to have been one of the crew of the schooner wrecked on Carnarvon bar on Sunday week. - North Wales Chronicle


The North China Herald, 7 January 1860

There has been very severe weather on the coasts of Great Britain and an appalling loss of life took place by the wreck of the Royal Charter, Screwsteamer, from Australia, on the Angelsea coast on the 25th October, when 450 persons perished; an inquest was held and a verdict of the jury was given that the Captain had done all in his power, to save the ship and lives of the passengers, and that the wreck was caused by purely accidental circumstances.

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School