Skip to Content

Colonial Cases

Rest of state

Otsego Herald, 29 August 1812

Reading, (Penn.) Aug. 14.

MOST HORRID MURDER. - It falls very unfortunately to our lot to communicate one of the most barbarous and murderous acts ever committed by a monster in human shape.  On Wednesday, the 12th inst. after 4 o'clock in the afternoon, a man named John[Scind], in Alsace township, about 4 miles  from this place, began with an ax to cut up every thing about  [him] in the house, when his father, who lived close by, hearing it, coming towards him, addressed him, "John! John! What are you doing?"  John turned upon his father with the axe, and cut him in the breast, when his Father immediately turning round, and holding his breast,  retreated to the house - John pursued him, cut him down, chopped half of his head off, threw it from him, then cut his body open, and tore out his entrails and heart.  His mother approaching him and exclaiming, he cut her down in the same manner, taking her bowels, heart and liver out, and threw them into the bake-oven, which had just before been heated by the family to bake bread.  A younger brother being near by, this monster now made at him with the axe, but the brother catching his arms, threw him down and fled - the monster setting a dog at him who would not bite him, took the dog and chopped his kegs off and threw him also into the oven, after which he set fire to the barn, which with all its contents, completely filled, very soon reduced to a heap of ashes.  His wife and family had in the mean time fled to the woods, where they lay all night, under a tree.  His brother in a little while after came back to the horrible scene of action, with some neighbours, to whom the monster, after having thrown away his deadly weapon, surrendered himself, saying, "I am the person who has done all this!"  The monster was thereupon conveyed to the gaol of this place, where he is now in confinement.  A coroner's inquest was held over the mangled remains of the parents of this savage monster! It is not in our power at present to add any thing more.


CATAWBA JOURNAL (Charlotte, N.C.), 1 February 1825

A Mr. Law, of N. E. township, Erie county, Pa. having invited a Mr. Adm. Fuller to sup with him, demanded of him afterwards two shillings for his supper, which being treated as a jest by Fuller, he immediately received one or two blows from Law which killed him.  Law gave himself up to justice.


CATAWBA JOURNAL (Charlotte, N.C.), 8 May 1827

From the Greensburgh (Pa.) Gazette.

Shocking Affair. - An instance of very deliberate suicide has just been communicated to us.  Andrew Reistel, of Mountpleasant town ship, Pa. well known as "the old pump-maker," put a period to his existence by shooting himself, in his own house, one day last week.  The particulars, as we gather from the inquest held by Coroner Kuhns upon the body, are these:

   Having no family, his son had lived with him, until a misunderstanding took place, when the son left the house.  In his absence, the old man ascended to the garret of the cabin by a ladder, got an old musket which had no stock, and out a heavy load of powder and slugs into it.  He then laid it on the floor, with the touch hole upward, the butt of the gun being supported by a hog's foot, and the muzzle resting upon a piece of bacon.  He then lighted a piece of spunk, which he put upon the touch-hole, after priming, and laid himself down on his back, with his head close to the muzzle of the gun, & his body in a direct line with it, his arms folded across his breast.  The charge entered the top of his head, came out at his throat, and entered again at his breast.


THE COLUMBIAN DEMOCRAT (Bloomsburg, Pa.), 23 December 1837


An affray occurred between two Irishmen named Flanagan and Campbell in the employ of the Farrandsville company, in Hemlock township, in which the former lost his life.  An inquest was held over the body, who reported, that he came to his death from a rupture, occasioned by a kick which he received from Campbell, in the affray.  He has been lodged in the jail of this county.

   The body of a man was found in the Juntata river, last week, near Lewistown, Millin county, supposed to be a German, 35 or 40 years of age.  No traces were found by which the cause of death could be  ascertained.  He is described as follows: black hair and beard, 5 feet 8 inches high, and had a small scar on the left side of his chin, his clothing were good & of a fine  quality.


THE CORRECTOR (Sag Harbor), Wednesday 2 October 1839

From the Cambria County, Pa. Mountaineer.


The borough of Johnstown, in this county, was made the scene of one of those dreadful tragedies, last Monday, which have of late become very frequent in this country, but we believe never before enacted in this county.

   The circumstances of the case, as they came to our knowledge, are as follows:--- The cry of murder was heard in the house of a man named Fulmer, about noon on Monday last, which alarmed the neighborhood, who forced their way into the house, and found Fulmer and his wife weltering in their own gore in the agonies of death.

   He had stabbed his wife twice in the abdomen and once near the heart, and then stabbed himself in the abdomen and cut how own throat, severing the jugular vein before those alarmed by her cries arrived on the spot.  We have heard no reason assigned for this horrible act, but learn that Fulmer has frequently threatened to kill his wife and then destroy himself.  We know nothing of his previous character, but learn that he was about 60 years of age, and the father of a large family.


SETTLER AND PENNON (Smethport), 19 August 1841

From the Cincinnati Gazette of July 22.


The murder of the horse-thieves in Ogle County, a brief account of which we published a few days ago, has most probably been followed ere this by the shedding of more blood.  The Galena Gazette, of the 8th inst., contains the following intelligence:

   Latest. - We have been informed from various sources, that Daniel Driscoll, together with Aiken, have both been arrested.  Driscoll had been tried, and was to have been shot day before yesterday at three o'clock.  We have not leant how they disposed of Aiken.

   To this we must add, that the printing office of the 'Rockford Star,' a paper in the vicinity of the murders, which had the independence to denounce those concerned in them, was mobbed on the night of the 5th, and in great part destroyed!

   This is a very natural end to the unnatural beginning.  The press is the palladium of liberty.  The despotism of the mob cannot prevail, and its freedom continue.  The two are antagonists - as opposite as night and day - and one of the other must fall,  In Ogle county, the mob, as we have seen, is triumphant; the press had to be silenced.

[From the Buffalo Com. Adv.]


There was a sad accident at Erie last Saturday night.  The steamboat New England, bound down the lake, touched at Cleveland and took on board a Mr. King and family, consisting of his wife's mother, three children and a female servant.  They wished to stop at Erie.  Capt. Oliver of the N. E. said he had not intended to go into that port, but if Mr. King would consent to be landed on the pier near the outer light house, some two miles from the town, he would take him and his family.  The New England made the entrance to the harbour about 11 at night, but so desolate was the aspect of things at that hour, that Mr. King was reluctant to land with his family, and after some conversation, Capt. Oliver consented that the yawl boat should be lowered.  The party entered, and under the direction of the mate the boat made for the town.  It was discovered to be leaking, an attempt was made to bale, and finally it was determined to return.  The boat reached the pier.  One of the hands was directed to make fast the painter, and the ladies were requested to step forward.  But instead of doing so, the whole party endeavored to gain the pier at once.  The boat careened, capsized, and two of the children and the servant girl were drowned.  The anguish of the parents may be conceived. Every effort was made to save all, but the darkness rendered it ineffectual.  Capt. Oliver remained till morning, doing all in his power to rescue the bodies of the drowned, and alleviate the sorrows of the survivors.  A passenger on board says their grief at so sudden and fearful a bereavement was hear-rending. - Since the above was written we have learned that the bodies of one of the children and the servant were found yesterday.  Mr. King was a resident of Pittsburgh, and well acquainted at Erie.


[From the Miner's Journal of Saturday.]


An inquest was held on Wednesday last, in the town of Fredensburgh, Schylkill county, by the coroner, Mr. N. J. Mills, on the body of an infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Moyer.  The following facts were elicited on the inquest.  Mrs. Moyer deposed that her husband is a native of Germany and a shoemaker by trade.  On Wednesday last she left her house for the purpose of picking blackberries.  She was absent one half an hour.  When she returned, she went top the cradle to look after her infant; and to her astonishment, she found that the child was quite dead.  The body was warm, and about the head she discovered several and bruises.  Accused her husband of having committed the deed, which he denied.  He afterwards loaded a double barrel pistol; and swore that he would shoot her in case she exposed him.  Dr. Halberstadt examined the child and stated that its death was caused by violence. The coroner's jury brought in a verdict that the child died from blows received at the hands of its father.  The accused was arrested and is now in jail.  Moyer is said to be a man of very intemperate habits, and not long since a child of his died in a very sudden manner, and it is thought the little unfortunate was destroyed by its unnatural father.


SETTLER AND PENNON (Smethport), 30 September 1841


SETTLER AND PENNON (Smethport), 14 May 1842


Between one and two years ago, and on the day of the Mercer solemnities, a man named Martin, residing in the vicinity of 12th and Wood Streets, Philadelphia, was bitten by his horse.  The animal was soon after discovered to have the glanders, of which he died.  Mr. M. treated his wound, but was shortly attacked by an unusual sickness, resembling the glanders, which continued to increase in violence and horror, until he died in indescribable agony.


SETTLER AND PENNON (Smethport), 30 April 1842

Steamboat Medora, explosion, long account.


SETTLER AND PENNON (Smethport), 11 November 1843

DROWNED. - Thomas Brushell, a mulatto residing in this town, was drowned in the Chenango Canal, near the South Bridge, on Wednesday night last.  He was last seen about 9 o'clock in this village on the evening of that day in a state of intoxication.  It is supposed that he started for home and mistaking his path ran off the wharf.  He was discovered on Friday immediately below the bridge by means of his overcoat, the skirt of which rose to the top of the water.  An inquest was held on the body by Mr. Ansel Berry, Coroner, and the verdict of the Jury was 'Accidental drowning.'  It was proved at the inquest that he drank liquor several times that evening at an unlicensed grocery. - [Telegraph of yesterday.]





The inhabitants of Lawrenceville were called upon on the morning of the 18th inst., to behold one of the most distressing scenes ever witnessed in our county.  ANDREW BRIGGS, a well-known citizen of the above named place, who has held many important offices in that town, and who was at the time acting constable, put an end to his existence, on the day above stated, in the following manner.  It seems that some time since the deceased bought a small gun; subsequently he purchased some lead and battered it, and with an axe cut off some and loaded the gun, and has refused (as stated to the Coroner's Jury, to lend it, stating that he had leaded it for his use.  On the above morning his wife had occasion to visit a neighbor's house, and in her absence and alone he committed the horrid deed - literally blowing off the entire top of his head, scattering his scull and brains throughout the room in which he was, on the walls and on the ceiling and through the window on the stoop in front of his dwelling; everything in the room was marked with parts of his brain!

   No reasons, as yet, can be assigned why he brought upon himself this most terrible calamity.  A Coroner's inquest was held, the report of which we subjoin:


An inquisition, indented and taken for the said Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in the township of Lawrenceville, county of Tioga, and State of Pennsylvania, on the 16th day of April, A.D. 1850, before Jno. S. Warner, Coroner for the county aforesaid, upon view of the body of Andrew Briggs, then and there lying dead, upon the oaths and affirmations of Lewis Darling, Locke Granger, Royal Wheeler, James Stewart, J. C. Shepherd, George Vangorden, Smith Stevens, Simeon J. Powers, K. L. Tracy, Obadia Incho, H. O. Adams, and A. G. Crane, twelve good and lawful men of the county aforesaid, duly chosen and who being then and there duly sworn and affirmed and charged to enquire for the said Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, when, where, how and after what manner the said Andrew Briggs came to his death; do say, upon their oaths, that the said Andrew Briggs came to his death by shooting himself with a gun, on the morning of the 16th day of April, 1850, and upon his head a mortal wound did make, by which said mortal wound the aforesaid Andrew Briggs then and there instantly died, and so the Jurors aforesaid do say, as witness our hands and seals.  [Signatures.]




NORTH CAROLINA WHIG, (Charlotte, N.C.), 5 February 1856

SUDDEN DEATH. - A Painter by the name of James Rea, died suddenly near this place, on the road leading to Lancaster, under the following circumstances, as it is said: He had left Town with two or three other men late in the afternoon, walking; on the way it was proposed they should have a foot race, which they did, and at the end of which Rea complained of feeling badly. - His companions tried to carry him to some neighboring house, but finding this impossible they left him and went in search of a horse, which having procured, they returned and found him dying.  Some of them posted immediately for a physician, but he was dead before any aid could be afforded.  On the 23d a Coroner's inquest was held upon the body, but we have not yet learned what was the verdict.  We have understood that some singular bruises were found on his person, but nothing leading to the suspicion that he had been murdered.  The general impression seems to be that he died from the effects of cold. - Chester Standard.   Mr. Rea was brought to this place, where he has a mother and numerous friends residing, and interred on the 25th ult.



Receipts & Expenditures.

Coroner's Inquest.

Joel Rese and others for viewing dead body of Isaac Austin                                  19  12

J. E. White and others, viewing dead body of Burdick Hill                                      35  40

John James and others, viewing dead body of Wm. Watchman                            18  48


THE WINONA ARGUS, Thursday 27 August 1857 (2)

NEWS ITEMS. - HOLLYDAYSBURG, Pa., 21. - McKim was executed here to-day for the murder of Norcross.  He died protesting his innocence, after speaking from the scaffold nearly two hours.


WINONA DAILY REPUBLICAN, MN., Monday 4 January  1869 (2)


The jury in the Hill murder case, in Philadelphia, found a verdict against Twitchell of murder in the first degree, after being out only twenty minutes.

   Brooks and Orme, who have been on trial at Stroudsbury, Pa., for the murder of Theodore Brodhead, at Delaware Water Gap, were, on Saturday, sentenced to be hung.


THE NEW NORTHWEST (Portland, Or.), 8 September 1876.


At the Coroner's inquest on Walker, the pugilist, held in Philadelphia, all the coadjutators were held as accessories of the crime.


Thomasville Times, 2 February 1878


  We briefly alluded last week to the killing of a young man well known in Thomasville, Mr. George Brown.  He was shot at the town of Manheim in Pennsylvania on the 17th ult.  .  .  .   As a matter of interest to his friends we subjoin the following account of the affair taken from the local paper in Manheim:  .  .  .  

  Mr. E. P. Brown, the estimable pastor of St. Paul's Episcopal church, Manheim, has a son, George, an artist who had been residing in Georgia, and had not seen his parents for three years, until early in December, when he came home to spend the holidays with therm.  About five o'clock last evening, Mr. Brown was engaged in painting a picture in S. A. Ensminger's picture gallery, the only person with him at the time being Charles Ensminger, a lad about twelve years of age. The lad had a gun which, as usual in such cases, he "did not know was loaded."  He put a cap on the tube, drew the trigger, discharging the gun and lodging the contents in Mr. Brown's head, behind the left ear, and causing instant death. .  .  .  

  Deputy Sheriff Sibble summoned a jury of inquest who returned a verdict that George Brown came to his death from the accidental discharge of a gun in the hands of Chas. Ensminger.

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School