Skip to Content

Colonial Cases


General Evening Post, 5 June 1766
  On Wednesday an affray happened at the Old Crown, in Stratford-upon-Avon, between Mr. Gurney, he landlord, and an Apothecary, when, by an unlucky blow. Mr. Gurney was killed.


The Times, 16 September 1899
  On Saturday night, after two day's deliberation, the Coroner's Inquest which sat on the body of J. Marston, shot on Thursday last, returned a verdict f wilful murder, against a person or persons unknown, who discharged a blunderbuss from Mr. PUKARD'S mill, in Snowhill.  Some of the regulars, the association of yeomanry, paraded the streets every night last week, so that no other mischief has been done, except the breaking of a few panes of glass since that time.  Above a hundred supernumary constables have been sworn in, who shall bring articles to the market for the supply of the town.  Mr. PUKARD, previous to the determination of the Coroner's Inquest, had declared in a printed hand-bill, his determination to decline the corn and flour trade, and offered to let or sell the mill and premises.  .  .  .  One or two more of the seven unfortunate persons who were shot on Tuesday last must die, according to the report of the surgeons.  The trepan has been used in vain to remove a slug which perforated the skull of an unfortunate lad about thirteen.  There are various rumours respecting disorders in the neighbourhood.
.  .  .  Of the boys wounded, on is since dead; one cannot recover; and the rest likely to do well.  The Jury are now sitting over the deceased.

The Times, 18 September 1800
  Yet another of the boys, shot at Mr. PUKARD:S mill, on Tuesday the 8th instant, died of his wounds in the hospital; the Coroner's inquest on the body will be held this day or tomorrow.


The Observer, 23 January 1803

Two children were some days since burnt to death at Coventry; where a third, from a similar accident, lies without probability of recovery.


The Observer, 27 February 1803

   A girl, in Moor-street, Birmingham, six years of age, standing near the fire, for the purpose of drying her frock, which she had wet by some accident, it caught the flame, and she was burnt to such a degree, that after suffering extreme torture for three days, she died on Tuesday.


Cambrian, 8 November 1817

   Abraham Thornton, against whom an appeal has been lodged for the murder of Mary Thornton, in Warwickshire, has been removed to the King's Bench, and was to appear before the court yesterday, to answer in person to the appeal.


Cambrian, 6 February 1819

Effects of ungoverned Passion. - William Brown has been committed to Coventry gaol, to be tried for the wilful murder of Eliza Brown, his own child, by throwing scalding water over her while in the mother's arms.  The brutal act was done in a fit of passion, and with scarcely any provocation.  The mother is also in a dangerous state.


Cambrian, 11 September 1819

   A most horrible murder was perpetrated on Sunday evening at a Farm-house, close by Chesford Bridge, three miles from Leamington, on the body of Mrs. Dormer, the wife of an opulent and respectable farmer.  The family had gone a walk to the village of Ashow, leaving Mrs. D. only and the servant-maid at home.  Some of the children returned in the course of an hour, and found the girl mopping up some blood; they asked what was the matter, and she said she had been killing a fowl.  On observing some marks of blood on the stairs, they went into the chamber, and, shocking to relate, found their mother with her head almost severed from her body, and her head, face, and breast, cut in several places.  The servant-maid was immediately secured, confessed the murder, and is committed to Warwick gaol.


Cambrian, 22 January 1820

Caution to Overseers. - An inquest was held last week at Stratford-upon-Avon, upon the body of Wm. Stringer, who died in a waggon, in that town.  It appeared in evidenced, that the deceased was on his way from the parish of Clerkenwell to that of Birmingham, and was taken ill on the road, near [Enstone], where he was left in charge of the overseer.  He remained there for several days, and was recovering, when the overseer came to him, and insisted upon his resuming his journey, observing "he had been expense enough to them already! - Deceased objected, and expressed a wish to remain another week, but the overseer was inexorable; and John Russell, the keeper of the lodging-house in which deceased was, said, "he'd be d----d if he should not go, for he would carry him out on his back."  Deceased was accordingly, with some difficulty, put in the waggon, the overseer observing, "he did not think he would want any provisions from there to Birmingham."  A woman, however, of a more humane disposition, gave him a small bottle of gin, and a piece of pudding, but he did not use either, being extremely ill all the way to Stratford, where the waggon arrived about seven o'clock the same evening.  Nobody took any notice of deceased, and he was left in the waggon, where at ten o'clock he was found dead.  The jury found the verdict - "That the deceased was in an improper state to be removed; and that by his removal thence, at this inclement season, his death was accelerated; and that the conduct of William Smith, overseer, was culpable in ordering such removal."


Cambrian, 29 January 1820

   Shocking Suicide. - On Wednesday se'nnight an inquisition was taken at Tiffield, Northamptonshire, on view of the body of Catharine Cotton, who, on the preceding morning, stabbed herself with a carving knife, which caused her immediate death. - It appeared in evidence that the deceased w as a married woman, with four children, and had resided many tears at Coventry with her husband, who was a builder of respectability, but his circumstances becoming impaired, he was under the necessity of leaving Coventry, and went to Northampton, from which place his wife (the deceased) was recommended to the Rev. Mr. Fletcher, as a cook, and went there on liking.  She had not been at Mr. Fletcher's but about three weeks, when, on the morning previous to the inquest, the housemaid, who slept with her in the garrett, was awoke between five and six o'clock, by gearing the deceased down, and, on looking out of the bed to see what was the matter, she discovered her lying on the floor, and a torrent of blood gushing from her neck.  She immediately ran down to the bottom of the garrett stairs, and gave an alarm, when Mr. Fletcher and the footman went up, and found the deceased lying on her face, bathed in blood, and, after lifting her up and turning her round, they discovered about two inches of the handle of the knife (which was a foot long) sticking out on the right side of her throat, the blade and the remaining part of the handle being buried in the body to the heart.

   It is most probable that she went down stairs in the morning to fetch the knife from a cupboard in the kitchen, from the circumstance of the doors being found open, which were shut and bolted the previous night, besides her being half dressed.  From the situation she was found in, it appeared that she looked in a glass to commit the fatal act. - By the evidence of Mr. Fletcher and the servants, it appeared that the deceased acted during the time she was there in a very strange way, and frequently remarked that she had seen better days, and never expected to be obliged to go to service, which seemed to prey on her mind. - After a full investigation of the circumstances, the jury returned a verdict of - Insanity. - Coventry Mercury.


Cambrian, 27 May 1820

   Accident at the Birmingham Theatre. - A melancholy and fatal accident occurred at this Theatre in Wednesday.  About six o'clock in the evening, a cast iron cradle or beam of considerable length, which supported a heavy superstructure of brick at the back of the stage, suddenly snapped in the centre, and, bringing down in its fall the immense mass of materials above it, injured eight of the workmen who were at the moment engaged near the spot, several of them very severely.  The sufferers were speedily conveyed to the hospital, where one of them, named Robert Emery, died as soon as he arrived; the others received immediate surgical aid, and, we are happy to say, are all in a fair way to do well.  The man who unfortunately met with his death was seventy years of age, ands has left a widow, but no children.  The proprietors on Saturday resolved to settle an annuity upon the widow of the poor man killed, and to make a weekly allowance to the injured workmen, until they shall be able to resume their respective employments..


The Cambrian, 9 August 1823

   As the Sovereign Day Coach was proceeding from Leamington towards Southam, on Saturday, the lynchpin of one of the wheels by some accident dropped out, and the wheel flew off, and the coach was instantly overturned, and in its fall crushed to death the coachman (Hassel) and the Rev. C. L. Atterbury, senior Student of Christ Church, Oxford, who was seated with him on the box. .  .  .  .   Upon the inquest held on view of the bodies of the unfortunate sufferers by the above accident, it appeared, that so far from any blame attaching to the driver from carelessness or neglect, it was proved that on the coach stopping at Warwick, the unfortunate man minutely inspected the wheels, and imagined all was perfectly secure.  The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.


The Cambrian, 16 August 1823

FATAL EXPLOSION. - Monday last, a dreadful accident happened at the button and percussion gunpowder manufactory of Messrs. Wilson and Storkey, at Birmingham, by an explosion of gunpowder.  Mr. Wilson was literally blown to atoms, and Sarah Cope, a young woman employed in the warehouse, was also killed upon the spot; four of her fellow workmen were dreadfully wounded, and carried to the hospital without hopes of recovery.  On Tuesday morning one of them died; the others still lingered in dreadful agony.  Mr. Wilson was a single man, about 21 years of age, and highly respected.


The Cambrian, 8 April 1826

   At the Warwick Assizes, last Thursday Wm. Bayliss was indicted for manslaughter, in killing and slaying Elizabeth Egan, a child of four years of age, by dragging and forcing her along, without administering to her proper food, thereby exhausting her, through which she languished and died.  It appeared from the evidence that the prisoner went to lodge with John Egan, the child's father, in Birmingham; that he was remarkable for paying attention to the infant, and succeeded at length in purloining her from the house.  Some witnesses saw the prisoner conveying the child away on the road; he said it was his own, and that its mother, who was a drunkard, had deserted it.  At a lodging-house for paupers,  at Stratford-upon-Avon, the little girl appeared almost famished, and ate voraciously'; the prisoner was pursued, and caught without her at Smithfield.  He said the child was with his mother.  Upon his mother entering the room, however, the prisoner said he had left the child in a field near Oakley-wood.  He afterwards said the child was dead; that she was taken with a vomiting, upon which he held her head; she got worse, and he put her on his lap; in about ten minutes she screamed and died.  After some consideration, he said,  he took the child into a thicket, laid the body down, and left it.  Witness, by direction of the prisoner, searched for and found the body.  Thomas Hirons,  surgeon, at Warwick, examined the child's body.  There were no external marks of violence; she died from general fatigue and exhaustion; her stomach contained nothing but blackberries.  Egan, the father, on being called, said, the child left home in perfect health. The prisoner (a dull, heavy-looking young man of twenty years of age) upon being asked what he had to say in his defence, replied, "Noting."  The Jury found him Guilty, and he was sentenced to be transported for life.  The Judge remarked, that the offence, in his opinion, amounted to murder; and if he had been indicted for that crime, and had been found guilty, his Lordship would have left him for execution.

   At the same Assizes, Michael Ford was found guilty of the murder of Mr. Perry, of Birmingham, by cutting his head open with a cleaver, when about to serve him with some bacon. - The particulars of the murder was stated at the time.


The Cambrian, 23 September 1826

FATAL EFFECTS OF PASSION. - An inquest was held at Ryton, near Coventry, on Monday last, on the body of Francis Eburne, a young man twenty years of age, who was shot the preceding Thursday by his own father.  From the evidence, it appeared that the son had been to Warwick Races the preceding Thursday, and on his return home on horseback passed his father on the road without peaking; that, though wet through, he went into the stable to look after his nag, and on his return into the house, wither his father had arrived in the interim, they quarrelled; the father struck and kicked him several times, and in his defence, he retorted and beat his father; that  Mrs. Eburne, hearing the disturbance, rushed into the kitchen, and endeavoured to persuade her son to go to bed, which he refused; that the father turned round towards his son, and discharged a gun at him, when he exclaimed "Oh!" and immediately fell to the ground; that the father immediately sent for a physician, and assisted in carrying the youth up to his bed-room; but still would not take his son's hand, though he offered it, saying, "You are a rogue, and I'll see you d---d first."  The wound was too dangerous to admit the least hope of recovery, and the unfortunate young man expired on Saturday night. - The Jury having returned a verdict of Wilful Murder against Mr. Eburne, the father of the deceased, he immediately surrendered, and after hearing the depositions read, he was committed to Warwick Gaol, there to await his trial at the next Assizes.


The Cambrian, 14 October 1826

   On Friday afternoon, a man named William Timpson, residing in Park-street, Birmingham, presented himself at the prison, and stated that he had murdered his wife.  Upon further inquiry, the officers were induced to proceed to his house, where, upon opening the door, they found his statement but too strictly verified, as the poor woman lay in the kitchen with her head nearly severed from her body.  A large clasp knife, with which Timpson stated he had committed the act, lay by her side.  On being questioned, he said that he had no enmity towards his wife, and could not account for his having been actuated to commit the horrid deed. 

An inquest was held on the body on Saturday, and the chief evidence was the confession of the wretched man himself.  No suspicion existed among his neighbours of the transaction, and no disturbance or noise was remarked by them, although the court in which the prisoner and his wife lived is closely inhabited.  A verdict of wilful murder was returned against him, and he stands committed under Mr. Whateley's warrant to take his trial.


The Cambrian, 21 October 1826

BANKRUPTS from Friday's Gazette.

To Surrender in the Country.

F. EBURNE, Ryton-upon-Dunsmore, Warwickshire, miller, Oct. 30, at the Bull's Head. Meriden, Nov. 24, at the Warwick Arms, Warwick.  Atts. Troughton and Lea, Coventry.


The Cambrian, 19 June 1827

   On Tuesday last, Wm. Miller was committed to Warwick county gaol, under the coroner's warrant, to take his trial for the wilful murder of Mary Lane, otherwise Greenway.  The particulars of this atrocious crime are stated to be as follows:- On the Saturday preceding, Mr. Heath, of Hanbury, gave an evening entertainment to his servants, by way of celebrating a christening which had taken place in his family on the Tuesday before.  The deceased, who had been a wet nurse in Mr. Heath's family, was invited.  Wm. Miller, the accused, who is a labourer working on Mr. Heath's farm, and a married man, was also invited.  Towards evening Miller told Mary Lane he would walk home with her - she made no reply, but appeared apprehensive of his doping so.  The deceased was seen going from Mr. Heath's house in the evening, towards Bishop's Itchington, and soon afterwards Miller was seen running for the purpose of overtaking her.  On Sunday morning, some persons going by a pit near Hanbury, saw on the bank a pair of pattens, and upon examining further, found in the pit an umbrella, and afterwards the body of Mary Lane. Considerable struggling had evidently taken place; the mark of female arms was visible on the side of the ditch which runs into the pit, and the impression of a man's shoes with nails in them, and of corduroy small-clothes, were seen on some clay.  These marks precisely corresponded with the small-clothes and shoes of the prisoner; the right shoe had a remarkable nail it, the impression of which was very visible in the foot-marks by the side of the pit.

   No marks of violence were discovered on the body, but personal violence had evidently taken place prior to her being thrown into the water; she exhibited all the appearance of a person drowned.  After the body had been taken from the pit, the prisoner assisted in carrying it to the New Inn, in Hanbury, without expressing either sorrow or guilt.  He denied having committed the murder; but he admits a criminal intercourse with her, but by her own consent.  The deceased was about 26 years of age, and was married at Christmas last.  Her former husband, a man of the name of Lane, who by some it is thought is still living,  ran away from her about seven years ago; and being since pregnant by Greenway, she was induced to marry him.  The prisoner has a wife and two children living.


The Cambrian, 22 December 1827

   A fatal accident occurred on Thursday afternoon, at the detonating powder manufactory belonging to Mr. Willis, of Colmore-row, Birmingham.  It appears that Maria Robinson, a young woman about seventeen years of age, was employed, with five other persons, in filling percussion caps.  From some cause unknown, an explosion of the powder at which Robinson was at work took place, and she instantly fell to the ground. [Others, injured, Ann Price, and Walker] Upon the deceased being carried to the Hospital she immediately expired, a piece of the copper cap having been forced through her breast into the body.  .  .  .  .  An inquest was held on the body of Maria Robinson on Thursday, before Mr. Whateley, and a verdict of Accidental Death was returned.


Carmarthen Journal, 26 September 1828

AWFUL CIRCUMSTANCE. - On Friday se'nnight, on the arrival of the Magnet coach from Liverpool, at the Albion Hotel, Birmingham, a gentleman, who was an outside passenger, was found dead.  Cards of address were found on his person, on which were engraved "Mr. Robert Hughes, Addle street, Aldermanbury," to which address a communication was forwarded, and on the following Sunday the son of the deceased arrived.


The Cambrian, 6 December 1828

   An inquest was held on Wednesday, at Birmingham, on the body of John Dwyer, who was murdered in London Prentice-street, on Sunday night, by a party of Irishmen.  A verdict was returned of Wilful Murder against Thos. Murray, Michael Burn, and Thos. Carr (alias Curran).  Dwyer had struck one of them for speaking to a woman with whom he cohabited, when the three attacked him, one cutting his head open with a shovel, and a second dashing out his brains with a brickbat.


The Cambrian, 13 December 1828

MURDER AND SUICIDE. - A shocking catastrophe took place at Birmingham, on Friday, of which the following are the particulars:-

   Edward Roach was a whip-maker, residing in Ellis-street, and until lately had borne a good character.  A short time since, however, he formed an imprudent connexion, which soured his temper, embittered his prospects, and destroyed his domestic happiness for ever.  On the evening of the day in question he returned home, and was naturally enough reproached by his wife for his irregularities; a violent recrimination ensued,  during which a thrilling scream of "murder" was heard, accompanied soon after by the discharge of a pistol.  The neighbours heard the report, but being themselves unable to get into the house, in consequence of the door being fast locked, they sent for an officer, who instantly proceeded to break open the fastenings.  On going up stairs, after he had unsuccessfully examined the lower rooms, a mist sickening spectacle presented itself.

   Alone, on the floor, and close beside the staircase, lay the body of Roach's wife; her face hacked and stabbed in various places, her neck pierced through and through, and her arm nearly severed from her body, which was done no doubt while she was in the act of lifting the latch of the door. Round the corpse was a dark pool of blood.

   An another part of the house Roach himself was discovered stretched dead upon a bed, with his brains scattered thickly over his shoulders.  On his left arm lay a poor little infant (his youngest child) awake, and near him the pistol with which he had effected his destruction.  His two other children were fast asleep in bed.  The circumstances of this tragedy have occasioned a great sensation in the town.


The Cambrian, 27 June 1829

   On Wednesday a blacksmith's wife at Coventry, in a state of phrenzy, cut off the head of a neighbour's child, of whom she had always been very fond.  After doing the horrid act she ran into a house opposite, calling out that she was lost and undone, and desired the neighbours to go into her house where they would |"see something."  The mother of the girl was the first person to enter, and on going up stairs she beheld the body of her child weltering in its blood !  There appeared great reason to conclude, from the testimony of several witnesses, that the prisoner was not of sound mind.  The jury returned a verdict of willful murder, and she was committed to gaol.  She is a woman upwards of fifty years, and bore a good character.


The Cambrian, 15 August 1829

ACCIDENTS. - On Wednesday week, a singular and very melancholy incident occurred at Hampton, near Warwick, by which a little girl about three years old, the daughter of a cottager at that place, lost her life.  On that day, about two o'clock, the child went into the garden with a stick in her hand, and it is supposed, disturbed with it a hive of bees, for when she was found soon afterwards, a great number of the enraged insects had settled upon her face, mouth, and throat, and had stung her so dreadfully that the poor little sufferer died in great agonies the same afternoon.


Carmarthen Journal, 27 November 1829


   A young gentleman, about 20 years of age, whose name was entered on the way bill, "Mr. Ramsay," and who was intending to travel by the Aurora coach, on Wednesday last, from Birmingham to Liverpool, finished the journey of his life most unexpectedly.  He had arrived at Birmingham by the Tally-ho, from London, and had paid his fare to go to Liverpool.  Whilst the guard of the Aurora was assisting the young gentleman into the coach, h perceived that he was extremely ill, and said, "Why, you're dying;" and concluded it was better to convey his passenger into the house (the Albion Inn).  He did so, and, under these afflicting circumstances he immediately expired.


Carmarthen Journal, 15 January 1830

HORRID BARBARITY. - We late last night received from a respectable correspondent in Alcester an account of one of the most revolting instance of human depravity we have ever recorded; but we are happy to add, that the unnatural monsters have been apprehended, and are now in Warwick gaol awaiting their trial for the offence, viz. That of starving two of their infant children, both under eight years of age.

   The name of the father is Samuel Baylis, a labouring man, belonging to the village of Alne; the mother, who was married to him about two years ago, it has since been ascertained has a former husband still living.  The wretched pair have latterly resided in a miserable hut on the moors in Alcester, and the neighbours, who have been long aware of their cruel treatment to their children, have been in the habit of secretly supplying them with food.

   For the last three months they have been missing, and the most dreadful suspicions having been excited in the neighbourhood, a police-officer was sent to the dwelling of the inhuman parents, where the children were found lying on a bi of straw, with scarcely a covering to protect them from the inclemency of thaw weather. Their attenuated frames, bearing ample evidence of their want of food, and of recent infliction of blows, were calculated to raise a doubt in the mind of the spectators, whether the objects before them belonged to the human or brute creation .

   That the reader may form something like an adequate conception of the miserable condition of these "living skeletons" we will add that the eldest, a girl aged seven years, weighs only 14lbs.; and her sister, who is not quote five years of age, scarcely 13 ¾ lbs. Both children were taken to the Greyhound public-house, where they have received ever since every attention which humanity of skill could suggest.  The youngest girl,  it is expected, will not recover. - Leamington Courier

Monmouthshire Merlin, 30 January 1830

   We mentioned last week that S. Baylis and his wife had been committed to Warwick gaol, charged with cruelty to two children of Baylis by a former wife.  The younger child, aged five, being since dead, the Coroner's Jury has returned a verdict of "wilful murder" against the woman, who has been committed for trial.  The man has been discharged, there being no evidence to affect him. - Worcester Journal.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 10 April 1830

DREADFUL COACH ACCIDENT AND LOSS OF LIFE. - (Abridged from the Coventry Herald.)

   At half-past ten o'clock on Tuesday night, the Standard Liverpool and Manchester coach, having changed horses at Birmingham, started with six outside and one inside passenger.  They had not proceeded far before the passengers became alarmed that some accident would occur in consequence of the irregular pace at which the coachman dove, sometimes trotting, and sometimes galloping the horses.  When descending the hill on the new Allersley road, near the toll-gate which leads into this city (Coventry), he drove with increased speed, but reached the gate in safety.  Having passed through the gate, he put the horses into a gallop, and they became unmanageable, and were near dashing against the hoses on the opposite road.  The coachman, finding the situation he was in, whipped the horses, when, unfortunately, the coach lost its balance, and reeling a few yards, came down with a tremendous crash on its right side.

   The screams and moans of the unfortunate passengers were dreadful, and soon awoke several of the inhabitants, who rendered every possible assistance.  Four of the passengers were taken into the house of the Rev. Mr. Grindon, a dissenting minister, and one of them being apparently lifeless, was put in bed, where he lingered in the most excruciating torture until the next day, when he died.  A man, named Henderson, shoe-maker, siding in Birmingham, had his right shoulder dislocated.  Captain Ingram, of the West India regiment, who was the inside passenger had his collar-bone broken, and is now lying at the Kin's Head Inn.  The coachman and guard were slightly injured, as were all the other passengers.

   An inquest will be held in a day or two on the body of the deceased, who is not at present known.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 25 September 1830

   On Monday last an inquest was held at Warwick, on the body of Edmund Turner Mercer, a fine boy, about six years of age.  It appeared that the poor child fell through a trap-door into an outhouse, and had been missing for more than a week before the body was discovered.  He was the son of a respectable watchmaker in Coventry, and was then stating with his grandfather at Warwick.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 16 October 1830

MLANCHOLY SUICIDE in the family of Mr. Dobbs, the respectable comedian of Birmingham. - It appears, from what transpired at the coroner's inquest, that the eldest Miss Dobbs had, for months past, exhibited a passionate predilection for the stage; and that her father, knowing her inability to rise to any eminence, firmly, though temperately, opposed her views. So fascinated and bent was the unfortunate young lady upon following her inclinations, that she neglected those domestic duties necessarily imposed upon her, as he eldest fame in her father's gamily.  Tuesday se'nnight, during breakfast, this neglect was so manifest, that Mr. Dobbs, in the presence of his father, remonstrated with his daughter upon her conduct, and a few words ensued. Nothing more, however, occurred, during the day, except that Miss Dobbs appeared somewhat downcast and sullen.  In he evening she purchased a pennyworth of arsenic, which, she said, was wanted to destroy rats.  On her return home, she mixed the arsenic with the gruel she took for supper, and in about an hour afterwards, its effects became visible to the family. - Medical aid as immediately obtained, but, notwithstanding every effort was made that human skill could suggest, the unfortunate young woman lingered until Sunday evening, when she died.  Verdict of temporary insanity.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 26 February 1831

SUICIDE. - On Sunday the 12th inst. Mr. Millington, a most respectable and extensive grazier and cattle dealer at Birmingham, committed suicide by shooting himself.  Early on the Saturday, Mr. Millington went, as was his custom, to a farm he occupied at Moseley, for the purpose of looking after his stock.  He ate a hearty breakfast, and immediately after directed his gun, and other shooting appointments, to be brought to him, stating that he knew there was a hare in a field close by, and he would go and see after her.

   The servant who brought the gun, had scarcely retired ten paces, when he heard a discharge, and instantly turning about he saw his ill-fated master fall to the ground.  It appeared that he had placed the muzzle of the piece to his stomach, striking the trigger I is supposed with his hand. The whole charge had consequently entered his body, causing a frightful laceration, and instantaneous death.  The verdict of a Coroner's Jury, was Temporary Insanity.


Carmarthen Journal, 15 July 1831

ATROCIOUS OCCURRENCE. - On Saturday s'ennight, about half-past ten o'clock, as a young man and woman were walking together along the Minories towards Bull-street, Birmingham, they were accosted by another young man, named Moseley, who, addressing the woman, said - "Is it you, Hannah?" and o replying "It is," he immediately fired a pistol, the contents of which struck the legs of the young man without doing him much injury; in a few seconds afterwards he fired another pistol, the contents of which wounded the young woman, being driven completely through her neck.  Though severely, she does not appear to be dangerously wounded, and she is now said to be in a fair way of recovery.

   The assassin in the confusion escaped detection and absconded; and though it was son ascertained who he was, his retreat remained undiscovered until the evening of Monday, when information was received that a young man answering his description had been found dead in the neighbourhood of Darlassan, evidently destroyed by his own hand. Persons were immediately dispatched to the spot and the body was clearly identified.

   On inquiry, it appeared that he proceeded, after the attempt, to the vicinity of Bilston, where he remained the whole of the Sunday, evidently in a very unstressed state of mind; and that towards the evening he left the public-house in which he had been staying, and was found on the following morning partially immersed in the canal, having it would seem first wounded himself seriously, if not mortally, in the head by a pistol-ball, and afterwards thrown himself into the water.  A coroner's inquest has since been held upon the body, and a verdict of lunacy returned.  Jealousy appears to have been the cause of the murderous attempt on the female who, it is sated, had repeatedly rejected his advances towards her.


Carmarthen Journal, 19 August 1831


   On Tuesday the dreadful sentence of the law was carried into execution at Whitby Common, near Coventry, on Mary Ann Higgins, who was  convicted on Tuesday, at the Warwick Assizes.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 24 September 1831


NGLIGENCE OF APOTHEACRIES. - A Mrs. Pickering, of Birmingham, fell a victim, on Wednesday last week, to the gross negligence so often noticed, but never amended, that prevails in the apothecaries' shops.  She had been indispose, and a draught was ordered by the assistant of Mr. Wilcox, surgeon.  Instead of sending the medicine as directed, the apprentice, Charles Dalton, sent up a phial of prussic acid, which was lying on the counter, undistinguished by a proper label,  Its fatal effects soon began to appear, and in about three quarters of an hour, Mrs. Pickering was dead.


Carmarthen Journal, 25 November 1831

AN AWFUL WARNING TO ROBBERS. - A man of the name of Skelcher, who some time ago worked as a brickmaker in this place, but has lately been employed by Mr. Hues, of Cubbington, left his house on Friday night for the purpose of robbing his master's premises of potatoes, and was found dead the next morning at a short distance from his own house, with a part of the ill-gotten booty in his pockets, and he remainder in a large wallet lying near a stile over which he had passed.  The quantity of potatoes which the deceased was in the act of conveying from Mr. Hues' ground at the time he was arrested by the hand of death weighed 74 pounds; and it is thought the excessive fatigue he must have undergone in carrying so greater a burthen for nearly three quarters of a mile, produced a determination of blood to the head, and occasioned instant death.  The wretched man was 35 years of age, and has left a wife and five children to deplore his loss.

  It is a singular circumstance, that a few hours before this awful visitation, while he was soliciting his nephew to join him in the robbery, his elation told him tat he dust not do so, for he had heard of instances where those guilty of such crimes had been struck dead in the very act. - Leamington Paper.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 5 May 1832
  Mr. H. Hunt, one of the proprietors of the Brades iron works, near Birmingham, whilst inspecting a steam-engine on the premises, became entangled in some part of the machinery, and was miserably crushed to death. The following is an extract from the evidence on the inquest:-
  We found the deceased lying upon his left side, with his head upon the string beam and his feet against the wall. His hat was knocked off his head.  He was quite dead, and his head and hat were crushes together.  I pulled his hat off, and his brains fell out of the hat upon the cylinder top in the middle chamber.  I heaved up his head, and discovered that the bones were shattered to pieces, and I heard them rattle like platters as I lifted up the head.  We wrapped his head in a cloth, and removed the body to his brother's house, where it now lies.
  The jury returned a verdict of Accidental death, and the coroner levied a deodand of 10s. on the engine.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 30 June 1832
MUDER AT ATHERSTONE - An inquest was held on Thursday se'nnight, at the Three Tons, Atherstone, Warwickshire, on the body of Chas. Mills, a workhouse pauper, aged 72.  It appeared in evidence that the deceased dined at the workhouse on Tuesday, and that an altercation afterwards arose between him and another pauper, named Thompson, the latter saying he had not had so much at dinner as the deceased.  This gave rise to contradiction, and violent words ensued.  The deceased told Thompson he might have had more if he had chosen - Thompson said it was a lie - the poor old man replied, "If you say so, you tell a lie," -Thompson then drew a knife and threatened to cut his throat, and swore he would murder him.  The aged pauper mildly replied - "No., Charles, don't do that," - imploring him to put away the knife from his throat.  The wretch then changed the knife from the right to the left hand, and gave him a tremendous blow on the temple with his fist.  The poor old man was rendered senseless, and never spoke again.  After lingering in agony till evening he expired.  The jury brought in a verdict of Wilful Murder against Thompson.  The wretched culprit (whose age is 0), was committed.  He appears very indifferent to the situation in which he has been placed by his diabolical act.  When he was first informed that he had murdered his poor brother pauper he replied, "I meant to do it."


The Cambrian, 4 January 1840


   The inquest was resumed on Friday se'nnight, when the parties who were suspected of having committed the murder were brought into the room.  Their names were, Thomas Walsh, an old man, nearly seventy years of age; John Walsh, and his wife, Mary Walsh, both about 40 years of age; and Ellen Connor, whose age did not appear to exceed 20.   .  .  .  . - On Friday, the prisoners were again brought before the Coroner, two of them having in the mean time made voluntary statements to Mr. George Redfern.  The prisoner Thomas Walsh alleged that he had quarrelled with the deceased on Thursday evening about the payment of the house rent, and after blows had been exchanged on both sides, he struck him on the back of the head with a crow-bar, which caused his almost immediate death.  The prisoner declared that no one of his family was present at the time, and that he afterwards placed the body in the bag and conveyed it in the waggon to the lane in which it was found. - The statement of John Walsh denied all knowledge of the occurrence until he had been told of it by his son. - The prisoners were fully committed to Warwick for trial at the ensuing Assizes.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 30 May 1840

DEAGTH FROM HYDRIPHONIA. - Mrs. Tye, the wife of a respectable person  carrying on business as a brazier and tinman in Meriden-street, Birmingham, died on Saturday night last, from hydrophobia, ensuing from a bite in the thumb by a favourite dog about nine weeks since.  When bitten, Mrs. Tye was unconscious the dog was mad, and no symptoms of the fatal disorder were developed until the Wednesday previous to her death, when they presented themselves with dreadful violence.  Mr. Walton, surgeon, of Digbeth, was called in, and subsequently Mr. Wilcox, Mr. Cox, Dr. Male, Dr. Eccles, and other professional gentlemen, but all their efforts were unable to arrest the progress and fatal result of the disease.  Mrs. Tye died about twenty minutes after eleven on Sunday night.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 25 July 1840

EXTRAORDINARY AND ROMANTRIC SUICIDES. - On Thursday an inquest was held at the Newbold Inn, Leamington, on the bodies of two young women which had been found in the river lean.  Their names were Elizabeth Varney, a married woman, aged 21, and Ann Smith, aged 18.  The husband of the former had lately left her and enlisted for a soldier, and since his departure her conduct had been rather questionable as regarded her acquaintance with a man named Southan.  The girl Smith bore a very good character, but she had been a little crossed in her affections, and both females had exhibited eccentricity of manner and had talked of drowning themselves.  An affectionate but rather incoherent letter was addressed by the deceased Elizabeth Varney to her father, and in her bonnet was found the following strange rhapsody:-

Leamington July the I.

   Mrs.  v y was my name I brought myselfe to greefe And shame by Loven one that near Lovede me So now my sorrau i planely see mark well the words that will be said by g  w I was betrade At rest with him i near could be until he had his will of me to his fond tailse i did give way And from the path of vurtew i did stray, but o the oath he swore to me that i his Lawful bride should be that if he proved false he did  say might he not prosper not yet happy be o I did promes on Sunday night to walk once more with my hearts delighte ore the windy banks where the billaus  roare we did part to meet no more Since he As proved falce i ham resolved A watery grave this night to have ill plunge myselfe into the deepe Liviengen my friends behinde to weep And for A token that I dide love theare shall be scene A milk white dove And over my watere tombe shall fly theare you will find my bode lie dear william when this you see remember how you slited me farewell vane world falce man  A due  i dround myselfe for Love of you grant me one faveour this All i crave six young girls pray let me have to bear me to my silent grave All drest in  wite A comely show to take me to the tombe below o All young wemen whear evere you be take warning of my Afful death take warning then while you Are young of mens deluden flaten tongues.

Departed this Life at ten o'clock this night July the I 1840.

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School