Skip to Content

Colonial Cases


Cambrian, 3 March 1810

The body of the Hon. Mr. Eden has at length been found.  It was discovered on Sunday morning by a waterman off Millbank, and conveyed to a public house at Westminster, where an inquest was held yesterday. - On searching the pockets of the deceased a receipt was found in his pocket-book for 600l. paid to Drummond and Co. 15l. in notes, some silver, and a gold watch and seal. - From the testimony of different gentlemen on whom the deceased had called on the 19th of January, the day he was missing, no sign of derangement appeared in his conduct.  - The Jury returned a special verdict of - Found drowned in the river, but by what means the body came there, there was no evidence before the Jury. The body had been missing more than five weeks. - The waterman will receive a reward of 50l. for finding the body.

Cambrian, 21 April 1810

A Coroner's Inquest was held on Friday, on the body of J. Pledge, aged 18, who died in the Westminster Hospital, in consequence of a wound he received from a pistol, on the night of the 7th of April, by a Life Guardsman.  It appearing by evidence that at the time the pistol was fired, there was no disturbance in the street, a Verdict was refunded of Wilful Murder against a Life Guardsman unknown. [See also "House of Commons."]

Cambrian, 28 May 1810

 An inquest was held on Fridays se'nnight, at the King's Arms, Kentish Town, on a child two years of age, of the name of Thoroughgood, who was rode over at the end of Somers town.  The jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death, but adjudged the penalty of five pounds as a deodand against the driver.  It is singular that this child died on the wedding day of its parents, and that owing to a similar accident, four years ago, they lost another child on their wedding day near the same place.

Cambrian, 23 June 1810


A Coroner's Inquest sat on Mon day at a public house in Broad street, Bloomsbury, on the body of Miss Drummond, the daughter of an auctioneer in the above street.  The evidence before the jury was, that the young lady was found dead in a back-paved court immediately under the window of a second floor in which she slept, with her head and body shockingly bruised.  It appeared that the deceased went to bed at her usual time, and the window was found open in the morning.  The Jury found a verdict, that the deceased met her death while asleep.


An inquest was held, on the 15th inst. by Anthony Gell, Esq. at the Magdalen public house, Pimlico, on the body of Mr. Joseph Hoult, who was a yeoman in the guards, and upwards of twenty-five years porter to the late Duke of Portland.  Mr. George Wybrow, one of his Majesty's cooks, said, he kept a house in Princes-street, Pimlico.  The deceased, his wife, and daughter, occupied the first floor, the back kitchen, and garret.  On Thursday morning, at eight o'clock, the wiriness had been at his garden, and afterwards came in to his front kitchen to breakfast.  Mrs. Hoult was at that time lighting the kitchen fire. He heard Miss Hoult, who is abort 14 years old, shrieking incoherently; he ran up stairs, and met her coming down exclaiming, "his throat is cut, his throat is cut!"  The witness rushed into the front room, and found the deceased on the floor, upon his back; he was weltering in his blood.  Finding him in a state of suffocation, he turned him on his side. Several of the neighbours came in, and the witness went for surgical assistance, which was instantly procured.  The wintriness had not any reason to imagine that the deceased was in the least deranged.  On the contrary, he thought him a very happy man, in good circumstances, and of an undeniable character.  Mr. Francis Parslow, surgeon, of Eton-street, Pimlico, said, on Thursday morning he examined the debased, found a wound of an extensive nature on the throat, about five inches long; he was of opinion  it could not have been done accidentally.  Mr. Parslow said, the deceased had called upon him about ten days ago, and complained of not being well; he found he had some feverish symptoms; he gave him some medicine, which abated the fever.  The witness was of opinion, that the deceased might have a return of the fever by over exertion, he  said he had known instances of a sudden  attack on the brain, though not frequent t; it might be the case in this instance.  The Jury returned a verdict, that the deceased had cut his throat in a sudden fit of delirium.

Cambrian, 30 June 1810

A scene most shocking to humanity was witnessed on Wednesday evening neat Fitzroy-square.  A poor woman, actually in labour, and attended by her midwife, was delivered of s still-born child at the door of the poor-house, to which she in vain requested admittance.  A crowd was naturally collected, and the utmost indignation was expressed at the brutal indifference shewn by the officers of the poor-house, for while the poor creature was labouring bin agony they remained inexorable.  At length the people broke open the door of the house and carried the unhappy mother into one of the wards.  The affair is undergoing investigation of the Churchwardens.

Cambrian, 21 July 1810

Last week a valet to a gentleman of fortune, in Wimpole-street, whose name is Day, put a period to his existence by taking a quantity of poison.  The cause of suicide is not known, but it is supposed that some uneasiness regarding a disappointment in his affections, had brought on temporary derangement, which led to the fatal act.  A Coroner's Inquest sat on the body yesterday afternoon, and returned a verdict of Lunacy.

   A young woman, lately in the service of the Earl of Jersey, in a fit of insanity, occasioned by a disappointment in love, died last week in North Audley-street, by taking a quantity of laudanum.

Cambrian, 18 August 1810

On Thursday se'nnight, a fatal accident happened to a fine boy, between three and four years old, the son of Mr. Gifford, a Messenger of the House of Commons.  Mrs. Gifford having made tea, left the table in search of something, when the little boy instantly laid hold of the tea-pot, put the spout into his mouth, and swallowing a quantity of the boiling liquid.  He lived in the most excruciating agony until about four o'clock yesterday morning, when he expired.  The child had been accustomed to the bad habit of drinking c

Cambrian, 1 September 1810

Monday a coroner's inquest was held at Islington, on the body of a young man, carter to a corn-dealer, near the Angel Inn, who put an end to his existence on Sunday morning, by hanging himself in his master's stable.  The unfortunate deceased, it appeared, had a sweetheart too many.  He had paid his addresses to one favourite female for nine years, upon honourable terms, and he had induced another young woman  to come up to London, from his native village, about four years ago, and become servant in his master's house, where he prevailed over her virtue under a promise of marriage, and she was now pregnant. - In this predicament, and unable to satisfy the hopes of both claimants, he determined to take "that way at once" by which Macheath proposed to "please all his wives," and hanged himself.  The Jury found a verdict of felo de se.

Cambrian, 15 September 1810

On Thursday se'nnight an inquest was held at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, on view of the body of Ann Griffin, who died in consequence of wounds inflected on her at her apartments, in Onslow-street, Saffron-hill, early on Wednesday morning, by her husband, Richard Griffin.  It appeared, that on the preceding Monday, the deceased has absented herself from home during the whole of the night, and that search was made for her during the greater part of Tuesday, till, about half past five o'clock, by her husband, his brother, and the brother's wife, when passing the end of Carter-house-lane, Smithfield, they met the deceased.  They afterwards went to a house in Long-lane, where they supped, and during the time they were there the deceased was observed to be very familiar with some of the young lads in the room, which so irritated her husband, that he threw the bone of a sheep head at her and gave her a black eye. - They then went to Richard Griffin's lodgings, where he and his wife laid down on the bed.  In a few minutes Richard Griffin got up and went hastily out of the room, saying, "I have done it;" and it was almost immediately discovered that her throat was cut. - She died whilst conveying to the Hospital. - The Jury returned a verdict of Wilful Murder against R. Griffin.

Cambrian, 6 October 1810


Saturday an inquest, comprising 23 persons, was assembled at Merton, on the body of Mr. Abraham Goldsmid.  The coachman of the deceased was the first witness examined, and he deposed, that having followed his master into a part of his grounds, called the Wilderness, to receive orders as to the mode of carrying him to town, he found him lying on the ground, the blood flowing copiously from a wound under his chin, and his hand still sustaining the fatal pistol.  He continued to breathe, but was totally insensible, and expired shortly after his removal to the house.

   Several witnesses deposed, that since the unfortunate death of his brother, Mr. A. Goldsmid had been subject to occasional depression of spirits, in the highest degree alarming his family - so great in fact, we understand, as to have induced on two or three occasions the appointment of persons to attend him, with a view to his safety from self-violence.  The accident he lately encountered in Lombard-street, in being beaten down by an over-drove ox, appears likewise to have contributed to the derangement of his nervous system, and rendered him more susceptible to the mortification and embarrassments to which the late depreciation of Omnium exposed him.  On Thursday, while on 'Change, he betrayed more than usual impatience and irritability, and spoke  very incoherently as to the revenge he proposed to himself, in the punishment of two of the parties opposed to him in the money-market.

   The evidence was conclusive, and the jury immediately found a verdict of insanity. [Funeral.]

Cambrian, 15 December 1810

Saturday evening a child four years of age, daughter of a sawyer in Marchmont-street, Brunswick-square, being left in the room, during the absence of her parents, set her cloaths on fire, by which she was so shockingly scorched as to cause her death the next night.

An Inquisition was taken last week at the Barley Mow, Mount-street, on the body of Rebecca Harris, who was found drowned in the bason in Hyde-Park on Wednesday.  This was the second sitting of the jury, and the case required their particular attention.  It appeared in evidence that the deceased had left her sister's house on the evening of the 5th of November, accompanied by a young man who addresses she received.  She was never seen after; and the young man informed the friends of the deceased that she parted with him in a quarrel, and she was very likely drowned, and that he paid five shillings to have the Paddington canal dragged.  There were other circumstances also for the Jury's consideration.  The deceased was shockingly bruised, and she had lost a pocket.  The Jury, after nine hours deliberation, returned a verdict - Found Downed, which will give an opportunity for a Police investigation.

Cambrian, 19 January 1811

   Early on Tuesday se'nnight a sad accident happened in Clement's cow yard, at Kingsland, Middlesex, owing to one of the bulls getting among the cows while the people were milking.  A woman who was far advanced in her pregnancy, not being able to get out of the way in time, was gored in a dreadful manner, and one of the horns of the furious beast penetrating the abdomen, she was literally ripped open.  The poor creature was instantly conveyed to the hospital, where she now lies in a most deportable state, and little hope is entertained of her recovery.

   On Saturday last between eleven and twelve o'clock, as a middle aged man, respectably dressed, was going along St. Martin's-lane, London, he was suddenly taken ill, and sat down on the step of a door near to the watch house, where, after giving a few groans, he expired.  Every possible assistance was rendered by the humane neighbours, and a medical gentleman sent for - but to no purpose, all appearance of life was gone.

Cambrian, 26 January 1811

   On Wednesday a poor chimney-sweeper's boy lost his life in the most shocking manner, in a chimney in a house in Orchard street, Westminster.  - He went up a chimney to clean it, and got out at the top.  On his return, he got into a chimney belonging to the same house, by mistake, which had a fire at the bottom, in which he got fast, and was suffocated with the smoke before relief could be rendered him.

Cambrian, 26 January 1811


   An inquest was held on Monday, the 7th inst. in the Marshalsea prison, on the body of Mr. Thomas Culver, a debtor in the said prison.  The jury was convened at 12 o'clock, and proceeded to the examination of witnesses, which occupied their time till half past five p.m. when they adjourned to the following day at 1 o'clock; and after three hours investigation, and due deliberation, returned a verdict - Died for want of food. [See 9 March below.]

Cambrian, 2 February 1811

A poor man, and woman with an infant at her breast, were found dead in their bed on Thursday, at Bayswater, near London, having been suffocated through airing the room with charcoal.

Cambrian, 9 March 1811



Thursday, Feb. 28. -  Lord Holland moved for a copy of the verdict of a Coroner's Inquest, which sat on the body of an unfortunate man named W. Colner [Culver], who had been confined for a debt of 7l. in the prison of the Marshalsea, and died of hunger.  The deceased was found in a place where there was neither door nor window.  He had been reduced to such a state of misery, that he had been seen gnawing the refuse bones in the yard, in order to obtain some means of prolonging a wretched life.  Two shillings had been found in his pocket, which had either been put there after his death, or given when such helps were far too late to afford any relief; the motion was agreed on.

Carmarthen Journal, 26 March 1830          

SUPPOSED DISCOVERY OF THE MURDERERS OF THE MARS. - Sir R. Burnie received a letter last week from Mr. Marshall, a magistrate of Chesham, Bucks, stating that a pauper, about 40 years of age, who had been changeable on the parish as a casual poor, on being examined as to his settlement, disclosed some facts which impressed those to whom they were made with a belief that the pauper had been concerned in the horrible murders committed about eighteen years ago in Ratcliffe highway, on the families of the Mars and Williamsons, he details of which are too well known to need replication.  On mentioning that he resided about the period of the murders (1811) at the house of a Mrs. Phillips, in Philppoits-rents or court, Ratcliffe highway, he as asked if he recollected to have heard bay thing of those bloody transactions, and the embarrassment which this question produced showed that he knew something of the business that he seemed unwilling to divulge.

   The house in which he had resided he admitted was close to those in which the unfortunate victims lived; and one of the objects of Mr. Marshall's communications was to cause proper enquiries respecting the man to be forthwith set on foot in the neighbourhood.  A man named Williams, who was shortly afterwards charged with having been  perpetrator of these crimes, committed suicide in the House of Correction; but those who were  acquainted with the details of the affirm, never doubted that more than one person must have been concerned in them.

Carmarthen Journal, 27 April 1811

  An Inquest sat on Tuesday at the Duke's Head, Oxford-street, on the body of John Starman, who was killed by falling from a hay-cart, the preceding day.  He was asleep on the cart, which belonged to Mr. Adams, of Edgeware, when the accident happened.  His skull was fractured, and he died immediately. - verdict - Accidental Death.

    On Thursday evening, as Mr. Drewe, a tradesman in Wapping, was sitting by the fire-side, a piece of coal exploded, and part fell on his feet.  Mr. D. on examination, found it shaped like a coffin, and this accidental occurrence, with a dream that he had the preceding day, that he should die that evening, had so powerful an effect on him, that he became extremely ill, and, notwithstanding the attention of his family and the aid of medical men, he died the following day.

Cambrian, 3 August 1811

Shocking Suicide. - A Coroner's Inquest sat at the Marylebone poor-house a few days since, on the body of Randall Haggerty,, a half-pay officer, who cut his throat from ear to ear.  The deceased formerly lived in repute in East-street, Manchester-square, but had become somewhat reduced in circumstances.  He was committed for want of sureties a short time since, his wife having sworn her life in danger at his hands; and on his release she was missing, with the furniture of his apartments, and left him pennyless.  In this deplorable situation he applied at Marylebone poor-house for relief, and whilst undergoing interrogatories, he drew a knife from his pocket and [not legible]. So intent was the unhappy man on self-destruction, that he tore the wound with his hand, and deliberately walked to a chair at a few yards distance, where he expired in ten minutes.  Some acts of insanity, arising from trouble, were proved, and a verdict to that effect was returned.

Carmarthen Journal, 3 August 1811

   A Coroner's Inquest sat on Thursday at the Marlborough Arms, Noble-street, on the body of Mr. Alfred Hitcham, a half-pay Officer, who met his death by a fall on Thursday last.  The deceased was an infirm man, 80 years of age, and his servant not having answered his ring, he left the drawing room, and in the act of calling he fell over the bannister to the passage, a height of 18 feet.  The deceased survived several hours, and was collected. - Verdict - Accidental death.

Cambrian, 16 November 1811

   Mr. Gattey, formerly a Lieutenant in the 8th reg. but who had retired on his fortune, was shot in a duel with some person unknown, between Rickmansworth and Harrow, Saturday se'nnight.  He barely survived removal, to the Plough at Hornchurch Cannon, by two gentlemen who left him at his desire.  The Coroner's Inquest, in the absence of direct evidence, returned a verdict of Wilful Murder.

Cambrian, 4 January 1812


... Capture of John Williams. ...  On Friday an inquest was held on the body of John Williams, who was found dead in his cell at the Coldbath-fields prison.

   Joseph Becket, the turnkey, deposed - I locked the deceased up about ten minutes before four, yesterday afternoon; her was then alive and well; I asked him if he wanted anything - he said no; he has said during his confinement, he hoped the innocent youth would not suffer, and that the saddle might be placed on the right horse.  Between seven and eight this morning I unlocked the door of his cell; I discovered him hanging to the rail in his cell, with his feet nearly or quite touching the ground, with a white handkerchief round his neck, which handkerchief I had seen him wear; I called Knott and Harris, prisoners, who saw him cut down. ...Two prisoners also deposed as to the situation in which the deceased was found, after which the jury returned a Verdict - felo de se. ... Thence it was conveyed to the bottom of cannon-street and there interred six feet below the surface of the ground, and a stake driven through it.

   It is now ascertained that Williams was a native of Broseley, in Shropshire, which place he left some years since on account of being suspected of stealing poultry out of different farm-yards.

[See also Carmarthen Journal, 11 January.]

Carmarthen Journal, 18 January 1812


   A man, who is superintendent of labourers at a Wharf, in Tooley-street, was brought before the Sitting magistrate, at Union Hall, by Collingbourne and Glennon, charged on suspicion of the murder of a man, whose name is at present unknown.  The deceased, it appeared, was a labourer, working under the prisoner, and was ordered by him to do some particular work, instead of obeying, however, he made use of some impertinent language, and gave the Prisoner a slap on the face.  The prisoner told him he was to blame for having struck a man, who was able to break his neck; further words ensued, when the Prisoner  pushed the deceased, and two others, off the Wharf into the water, and the head of the deceased coming on contact with a vessel, in his fall, he sunk immediately under the water.  The body was taken out in less than ten minutes, and conveyed to Guy's Hospital, but the vital spark was extinct.   --- The Prisoner was then committed for re-examination, when the result of the Coroner's Inquest shall be known.

Carmarthen Journal, 8 February 1812

Coroner's Inquest. - Wednesday evening an inquest was held, at the Golden Anchor public-house, Leaden-hall-street, before Thomas Shelton, Esq. Coroner, upon the body of Mrs. May, the wife of an ironmonger on Oxford-street, who was run over by a waggon on Tuesday afternoon, and killed on the spot.  The circumstances of this melancholy event were briefly as follow.  Mr. May had stopped in his gig at the door of the house lately occupied by the celebrated Dirty Dick, the Ironmonger, to speak about some business with the present occupant.  He left Mrs. May in the vehicle, holding the reins until his return.  Before however he completed his business, a stage coach coming quickly by caught the off-wheel of the gig, overturned it, and threw Mrs. May into the middle of the street, where a heavy waggon, which was passing at the same instant, went over her head and crushed out her brains.  Her distracted husband came out of the house just in time to be a spectator of the horrid scene. The lifeless body was immediately conveyed to the Golden Anchor public-house, for the inquest of a jury.  Mr. and Mrs. May were a young married couple, the latter not yet 20, and in the seventh month of her pregnancy.  The Jury, after a patient and minute inquiry into the circumstances of the case, returned a verdict of - Accidental Death.

Carmarthen Journal, 4 July 1812

   Friday night, about 11 o'clock, the neighbourhood of Marshall-street, St. George's Fields, was alarmed by the report of a pistol.  It was supposed to proceed from No. 9, and the suspicion gaining ground, a young man got in at the back window, and opened the front door, when, shocking to relate, in the bed-room, was found the body of a well-dressed man, with the upper part of the head shot off, and the brains scattered about the room.  Upon inquiry, his name was found to be John Valentine Griffiths, and that he lived in the house alone.  He had appeared for some days despondent, and it is supposed committed the rash act from pecuniary embarrassment.

Cambrian, 18 July 1812

   J. Cooper, and Mary his wife, of George-street, Norton-street, Mary-le-bone, are in custody in their own house, in consequence of four of their children having been poisoned by arsenic administered in brimstone and treacle.  The afflicted parents allege, as is most probable, that they had intended to give them brimstone and treacle mixed with cream of tartar, but are unable to state how it came mixed with arsenic.  The eldest child is nine years old - the youngest four.  One of the children died on Thursday evening; another is not expected to survive; but the remaining two are expected to  recover.  They are in custody until a coroner's jury shall have established their innocence.


   An Inquisition was taken on Monday, at the Blue Posts, Cross street, Carnaby Market, on the body of James Murray, a broker, residing in the above street, who shot off the upper part of his head on Saturday.  It appeared in evidence, that the deceased put a pistol into his mouth and blew his head to atoms.  He had been for some time under embarrassments, which, together with some law proceedings, had disordered his intellects.  From these considerations the Jury returned a verdict of insanity.

   Saturday evening, Dr. F. of Finsbury-square, shot himself through the head and expired almost immediately.  The cause of this rash act is not ascertained.

   A Clerk in the Bank of England has also destroyed himself within the last two days.

   A respectable Oilman, in the neighbourhood of Aldgate, committed suicide on Friday morning, by hanging himself.

   A gentleman of the name of G-------, of Great Coram-street, shot himself in Kensington Gardens about noon, on Friday, in the box opposite the great gravel walk, leading to the palace.  Over the box is written in pencil, "Stop - consider what you are going to do."  These words were in large letters, and in a very confused manner, and are supposed to have been written by the unfortunate man.

   A respectable man of [al], cut his head nearly off with a razor, on Sunday night, during the momentary absence of the nurse.  A Coroner's Jury sat on the body yesterday, in Down Street, before A. Gell, Esq. Coroner, and returned a verdict of - Insanity.

Carmarthen Journal, 25 July 1812

   A fine boy, five years old, walking on Kennington Common with his father and mother, on Friday last, was struck on the breast by a cricket ball, several yards from the bat, and killed on the spot.

   Coroner's Inquest. - Thursday an inquest has held at the King's Arms, Westminster-road, on the bodies of two men, lately in the employ of Mr. James Atkinson, a distiller, near the Asylum, St. George's Fields.  The deceased, on Monday last, unfortunately attempted to clean a large vat, which contained a quantity of what is termed liquor.  The oldest of the men, who had been many years in the service of Mr. Atkinson, put the ladder into the vat and descended; but when near the bottom, he  fell down insensible.  The other man immediately went down to his assistance, and also fell in the same state.  Before assistance could be procured to take them out, they were both dead, having been suffocated by the foul air at the bottom of the vat. - Verdict, Died by Suffocation.

Carmarthen Journal, 8 August 1812

Fatal Effects of a Pitched battle. - Thursday afternoon a Coroner's Inquest was held at the Gloucester-Arms public-house, Rochester-row, Tothill-fields, before Anthony Gell, Esq. on view of the body of John Swain.  It appeared in evidence that the deceased was a journeyman locksmith, in the employ of Mr. Beazley, in St. Martin's-lane, Charing-cross.  On Monday last a dispute arose between the deceased and one of his shopmates, named Gallen, respecting some of their tools, a scuffle then ensued between them, but which being interrupted by the interference of their master, they agreed to ends the dispute by a pitched battle for 20s. a side.  On Wednesday evening they met in the ring, in Tothill fields, and the battle continued for nearly an hour and three quarters.  During that period it was proved, that the deceased was repeatedly requested, by the survivor and others, to give in, and to settle the dispute at another meeting, but in vain; he continued to fight, till at length, through the great quantity of blood he had lost and was then losing, it became necessary to carry him off the ground, into the public house already mentioned, where he remained until three o'clock on Thursday morning, and then expired.  The Jury, under all the circumstances of the case, returned a verdict of Justifiable Homicide.

Carmarthen Journal, 5 September 1812

   A most shocking and deeply regretted catastrophe occurred at Brighton on Monday, in the commission of an act of suicide, by Mrs. Louisa Maria Goldingham, a niece of Major-General Popham, at her residence in Dorset Gardens.  The deceased, who has left six blooming children to deplore the rash and fatal act of their mother, had been in a drooping way for some time, but, excepting in a solitary manner, when she complained, in rather a strange manner, of her being unable to distinguish the letters in a book she held in her hand, no suspicions were entertained of her being in anyway mentally deranged.  About half-past twelve o'clock, in the afternoon, she had left her parlour, and retired to her chamber, the door of which soon after being found locked, and no answers given to the questions put to her, her brother, Captain Popham, broke it open.  On entering the room, he discovered his sister, in a horizontal position, on her face, and weltering in her blood.  Though horror struck at the spectacle, he yet endeavoured to raise her up; and, painful to relate, found that she had deeply lacerated her throat both on the right and left side with a razor, and severing the jugular artery, had bled in the most profuse manner.  She was not quite dead when discovered, but her last sigh escaped her almost immediately after.  The Coroner's Inquest was taken on view of the body on Tuesday morning, when Captain Popham's testimony was to the above effect, and a verdict of Lunacy returned.  Mr. Goldingham, the husband of the deceased, is abroad, but we know not in what capacity.

Carmarthen Journal, 14 November 1812

   Saturday se'nnight a footpad robbery took place about nine o'clock in the day, attended with extraordinary circumstances.  Mr. Robert Thorley, on his way from town to his residence at Petersham, went by the private road, which turns off to Richmond a little beyond the seven mile-stone on the Wandsworth road.  When Mr. Thorley had passed the first gate a short way, he perceived a female, attired like a quaker, and a man following her at a short distance, on the side path.  The man appeared to be a carpenter, or mechanic, with an apron folded round him.  As soon as Mr. Thorley came opposite to him, he sprang suddenly from the foot path into the main road, took out a pistol from his left side, which was loaded up to the muzzle, and  said, "I must have your money."  Mr. T. gave all the silver he had, consisting if a Bank-token or two, and a few shillings.  The man observed, "If you will do me no injury I shall not hurt you;" and then retired, saying, "real distress has compelled me to this act."  Mr. Thorley's resentment was disarmed by this declaration; compassionating the man's case he kept looking after him; when the other, supposing he was watched, returned with the pistol levelled; on a sudden, Mr. Smith and a Mr. Reeve, a Magistrate, came up, when a pursuit was commenced, and persons stationed themselves in such situations as to prevent the possibility of an escape.  At this moment the report of a pistol was heard at the opposite side of the hedge, whither the robber had fled, and it was found that the wretched footpad had laid violent hands upon himself, by discharging the contents of the pistol into his own head.  He was found without one of his shoes, lying on his back, and quite dead.  The body was taken to the George inn, at Wandsworth, where a coroner's inquest was held upon it on Monday, before ------ Jennet, Esq. Coroner for the county. - Verdict - Felo de se.

Cambrian, 19 December 1812

Carmarthen Journal, 19 December 1812

Murder. - Tuesday morning early, a respectable looking man was discovered murdered lying in a field at Islington, not far distant from Sadler's Wells.  His pockets were turned inside out, from which it is inferred he must have been robbed by some villains.  This mysterious circumstance is undergoing a very serious enquiry.  The body was conveyed to the Woolpack tavern, near the spot, for a Coroner's Inquest.

   The following accident happened on the ice in St. James's Park on Sunday last. - At twelve o'clock, three youths who were skating on the canal in St. James's Park, very imprudently dared each other which of them could go nearest to the broken part of the ice, which had been so broken for the purpose of carrying it away by cart loads for the ice-houses, on Saturday, and for the convenience of the swans, when the ice gave way and they all fell in; the two that were behind were in a short time got out, with only a severe ducking; the third, although ropes, &c. were procured in a few minutes, was not got out for about a quarter of an hour.  He was conveyed to the Storey's Gate Coffee-house, where the means recommended by the humane Society were tried by a medical Gentleman, but in vain.  The relations of the deceased, who reside in the neighbourhood of Clare-market, have owned the body.

Cambrian, 9 January 1813

Wednesday afternoon, about five o'clock, the following shocking accident occurred in the Dockyard, at Woolwich - a Machine, used for the purpose seasoning ship-timber, unfortunately burst, in consequence of being over-charged, by which eight individuals lost their lives, and 14 were dangerously hurt, several having their legs and thighs broken.  The premises on which the machine stood were destroyed; and the explosion is represented as having been most terrific. - Several of the men, it is said, have left wives and children.

Cambrian, 7 August 1813

Horrid Murder. - The body of a labouring man, evidently just murdered, was taken out of a gravel pit, near the Foundling Hospital, early on Monday last.  The body was taken to an adjoining public-house, where it was soon owned.  It appeared before the Coroner's Inquest, that the deceased was an Irishman, named Clifford, who having disposed of some little property which he had in Ireland, came over to this country about three weeks ago, in order to settle with his wife and five children; but being unable to obtain employment, he had determined to return again before his money should be quite spent.  They lodged in St. Giles's, his wife stated that he had nearly 14l. in notes and cash on Sunday, but there were only three half-pence in his pocket when he was found.  The last time his wife saw him was on Sunday evening, when she left him in the street, somewhat in liquor, with J. Leary, a countryman of his, with whom they had lodged on their first arrival in town, who promised to see him safe home, and to get him in work next morning.  She sat up all night, waiting for him in vain; and in the mean time some Police Officers apprized her of his fate.  On hearing from her that Leary, who resides in Field-lane, was the last person seen with him, they went to his house, where they found his wife; she told them, on being  asked, that she did not know where her husband worked, and then took hold of another woman by the hand, and put it to her breast, saying, "O! feel how my heart beats."  This circumstance induced them to take her into custody.  They found no money in the room, nor anything that could lead to a discovery, except a shoemaker's hammer, that lay on one side of the fire-place, which they took with them, and found that the sharp flat edge matched to cut on the hat, and the other blows on the head; the hammer had some whiting on it, and there was also some white on the part of the hat where the blow was given.  Leary was taken into custody by the officers, who found some spots of blood on his breeches which had been attempted to be rubbed out with lime; his stockings were also full of mud.  The Jury unanimously returned a verdict of "Wilful Murder" against Leary.  The further examination of his wife is postponed to next week.

   He has undergone an examination at the Public Office, Hatton-Gardens, and has been remanded till two principal witnesses can be brought forward, whose testimony will, it is expected, be of service in tracing the murderer.

   Further accounts state that Leary has confessed the murder, and told where the money is concealed.

Cambrian, 22 January 1814

   An inquest was held last week, at Somer's-town, before Mr. Hodgson, on the body of a fine young woman, who was burnt to death by means of her clothes catching fire; and whilst in the agonies of death, she was taken in labour, and delivered of a fine child, which is likely to live.

Cambrian, 25 June 1814

   Suicide. - Sunday morning, a young lady, about 17, eloped from her friends at Paddington, with a person who had paid honourable addresses to her for some time.  It afterwards appeared they repaired to an hotel in Jermyn-street, where her inamorata continued with her two nights; but having forsaken her on the third day, the frail fair one, overcome with shame and regret, threw herself into the cabal, and was drowned.

Cambrian, 27 August 1814

      The unfortunate Miss Welchman, who was inhumanly murdered in London, is the daughter of a very respectable farmer, of Street, near Glastonbury; and about four years ago was an assistant at Miss Coles's, milliner, of Bath, where she was much esteemed for her uniformly good conduct, and agreeable manners.  The perpetrator id this horrid deed has a brother residing in Bath, who has for many years followed his business as a baker, with the utmost credit and respectability.

The Cambrian, 11 March 1815

   Thos. Cosgrave, the unhappy wretch mentioned in our paper of the 25th ult. on whom a verdict of wilful murder was found for the murder of his wife at Liverpool, expired in Bridewell on Tuesday morning last.  A Coroner's inquest sat on the body and brought bin a verdict of felo de se. - His remains were interred on Thursday morning about six o'clock, at the junction of the four streets opposite to the end of Marylebone, in the presence of a considerable number of spectators.

Cambrian, 18 March 1815

   A Coroner's inquest has been sitting for several days upon Mr. Vyse, an unfortunate person who lost his life last week during the riots before Mr. Robinson's house.  The Coroner's jury have at length returned a verdict of wilful murder.

Cambrian, 22 April 1815

Murder and Suicide. - On Friday, W. Waghorn, a tailor, lodging at No. 15, Roll's Buildings, Chancery-lane, sharpened a knife, and deliberately locking the door, told his wife he would cut off her head, those of his three children, and his own, that they might all die together.  He then seized her, threw her down, and actually perpetrated his threat.  The children got to the window, and screamed for help, in consequence of which some persons attempted to force the door, but before they could effect their purpose, the unfortunate man had nearly severed his own head from his body.  It is said that he was lately discharged from a lunatic asylum.  An inquest was held on the following day upon the bodies, when the jury, after hearing sufficient evidence, returned the following verdict:  Jane Waghorn came to her death by the violent act of her husband; and he cut his own throat; in performing which acts he was in such a state of derangement as not to know what he was about.

Cambrian, 6 May 1815

Inquest. - An inquest was held at the Elephant and Castle, in Peter-street, on the body of W. Coggins, a soldier, who, on Tuesday morning told his wife he was going on a journey, as asked her for a glass of liquor, immediately on drinking which he expired. - Verdict - Died by the visitation of God.

Cambrian, 13 May 1815

   An inquest has been held at Newington, on the body of Thomas Plummer, a boy about 14 years of age, who received a blow which caused his death in a fight with Charles Webb, another boy, against whom the Jury returned a verdict of feloniously killing and slaying.

Sudden Deaths.

Yesterday morning Miss C. Whitehead, daughter of Mr. Whitehead, of Berkeley-street, was found dead in her bed, to which she had retired the preceding night in perfect health.

   A journeyman blacksmith also died on Friday, while working at his anvil, in Green Dragon-yard, Holborn.

Cambrian, 15 July 1815


It is our painful duty to announce the melancholy exit of this distinguished Senator, who was found dead, on Thursday last, the 6th ult. at his house in Dover street, Piccadilly, and whose death was occasioned by suicide.  The deceased was discovered in his dressing-room by two of his servants, and a razor found near the body.  A Coroner's inquest was held in the evening on the body.  ... [detailed evidence] ... The Jury, after a moment's consideration, returned a verdict of Insanity.

Cambrian, 29 July 1815

Melancholy Mistake. - A Coroner's inquest was held on Thursday, at the Prince of Wales public-house, Exeter-street, Chelsea, on the body of Wm. Hewetson, formerly an officer in the Bombay marine, who died during the night of Wednesday, under very distressing circumstances, in consequence of poison.  For some time past he had resided in Hans-place, Sloane-street.  It appeared from the evidence of Mr. Bartollacci, brother-in-law of the deceased, and Dr. Black, of Sloane-street, that Mr. Hewetson had long been in a very inform state of health, being much troubled with pains in his limbs, and the latter having long attended him as his medical adviser.  A few days before his death, Mr. H. stated ton his brother-in-law, that the many medicines which he had taken to give him relief from pain had effected non good, but that he had now obtained a recipe for an embrocation, from a person in Hatton-garden, from which he was led to expect great if not immediate relief.  On Wednesday he as very ill, having taken this embrocation inwardly, instead of applying it externally as prescribed, and on learning that he had poisoned himself, (the embrocation consisting is sugar of lead and vinegar), he replied that he had taken it inwardly, thinking that it made no difference; that if it did not good, at all events it would do no harm!   Castor oil and other things were applied, but in vain; he survived the fatal error but a few hours.  Although he swallowed a large draught of this embrocation for so extraordinary or thoughtless a motive, nothing appeared before the inquest to call into question the state of the deceased, and the jury therefore, without any hesitation, lamenting only that apothecaries were sometimes too indefinite in prescribing how medicines were to be used, returned a verdict of - Casually poisoned by taking wrong medicine.  Dr. Black having opened the body, it was found that his death had been occasioned by the sugar of lead embrocation.

   Sudden Death. - A remarkable instance of sudden dissolution happened on Thursday, on the Debtor's side of Newgate.  A young man, aged 24 years, who had been recently married, was unfortunately taken from the society of his wife by process at the suit of a creditor. Unaccustomed to the deprivation of liberty, and impressed with a peculiar sense of the horrors of a gaol, he entered Newgate with his legal conductor, in a state of most afflicting despondency.  Having taken his seat under an appearance of excessive grief, he suddenly fell down, overcome, perhaps, by the poignancy of his feeling, and unhappily to raise no more.  The paleness of death came over his countenance, and those who observed the occurrence were alarmed.  He was conveyed to the felon's side within a few minutes after he fell, to obtain the most prompt assistance; there every effort was made to restore suspended animation, but without success- he expired!

Cambrian, 2 September 1815

Horrid Murder at Barnet. - On Friday night last, as an Irish labourer and his wife, near Barnet, were going to their lodgings, a dispute arose between them relative to the disposal of 50s. which he had just received, and which terminated in the murder of the woman, in a most dreadful manner.  The husband went to a hedge, took out a stake and struck her upon the head for nearly five minutes, until he supposed he had killed her, when he went away to his home.  She was conveyed to the bell public-house, Barnet-gate, where she lingered about two hours and then expired.  The murderer was immediately taken, and when informed of his wife's death, he only asked to se his dear Rosey once more, then he cared not being hung, as that was only half an hour'sbotheration.  He was committed on Saturday last to Hertford gaol for trial. Yesterday a Coroner's Inquest sat upon view of the body, and a verdict of wilful murder was returned against the prisoner.

Cambrian, 23 September 1815

Another calamitous accident has happened through the carelessness of families keeping arsenic in open places.  Wednesday evening, Mrs. Newman, the wife of a respectable butcher, of Kennington-cross, on going out to take a walk, gave her servant maid 4d. to buy some grits, to make gruel for the children's supper, with orders to put them to bed as soon as they had supped.  The servant, a girl 16 years of age, went for the grits to Mr. Holland's, a corn-chandler, in White Hart-place, where she bought 3l. worth of grits, saying she could have no more, as she had lost a penny our of the 4d. her mistress gave her, and all the cure she had for it was to make the gruel thinner.  She went home, made the gruel, and gave the children their suppers; immediately after which the children were seized with convulsive and excruciating pains in the stomach and bowels attended with violent vomitings, and screaming aloud from excess of pain.  Mr. Willis, a neighbouring surgeon, was sent for, who, on examining the children, from the symptoms attending their complaint, declared they had been poisoned, and an inquiry immediately took place.

   The servant was questioned, but she denied having any knowledge of the cause.  On examining the gruel, Mr. Willis was of opinion that it was strongly impregnated with arsenic.  Mr. Holland, the corn-chandler produced some of the same grits, which proved to be quite free from any poisonous mixture.  Mr. Newman was questioned if he kept any arsenic in the house; he acknowledged he had a large paper of arsenic in the cupboard, which was unlocked, that he kept it for the purpose of destroying rats; the cupboard was then searched for the arsenic, but it was not to be found.  The servant being questioned if she knew what had become of it, strongly denied having seen it; but it was proved she was seen to go to the cupboard for something when she was making the gruel; and it is suspected that the unfortunate girl, mistaking it for flour, and being short of oatmeal, mixed it in the gruel in order to thicken it.  As she was very fond of the children, it is supposed she did it but that it was through ignorance.

   In spite of medical assistance, the eldest of the children died in the most excruciating agony on Thursday morning, and the death of another was hourly expected.  A Coroner's inquest has sat on the body of the child, and have brought in a verdict of wilful murder against Elizabeth Miller, who made the gruel.  She is committed to Horsemonger-lane to be tried for her life.

Cambrian, 2 December 1815

   A Coroner's Inquest was yesterday taken on a view of the remains of the late Thomas Cartwright Slack, Esq. and Sarah Burrell, his cook-maid, who perished on the fire at Kentish-town, on Friday morning.  The jury returned a verdict - That Sarah Burrell came by her death accidentally and calamitously by fire, and that Thomas Cartwright Slack, Esq. came to his death in like manner, and in an endeavour to rescue his infant child Eliza from the fire.  The only remains that are found of the unfortunate deceased are the trunk of Mr. Slack, and the spinal bone of his unfortunate servant.

Cambrian, 9 December 1815

Dreadful Explosion. - On Monday afternoon, the neighbourhood of Hounslow, and the country for some miles round, beyond Windsor on the south, were alarmed by a tremendous explosion of some powder works on Hounslow heath, the property of John Butts, Esq. in the parish of Hanworth.  By the accident two men employed in the manufactory were killed.  An inquest was accordingly held on Tuesday, before George Hodgson, Esq. Coroner for Middlesex, when it appeared, on the evidence of Samuel Edwards, manager of these works, that one of the unfortunate men, James Tinsey, about twenty years of age, had been at work in a detached building, used for pressing the powder, about four hundred yards from the main establishment, and at the time of the explosion was alone in these premises, and had finished his daily employment.  In this building were about fifteen barrels of powder.  The press was empty, and no machinery at all was moving.  It was therefore conjectured that the fatal explosion must have been occasioned by some imprudent act of the unfortunate man.  His body was carried more than 50 yards from the spot, and was found dreadfully mutilated.  About fifty yards from this building was another, called the Hand-corning House, in which were five barrels of dust-powder.  This was also exploded within a second of the former, by some burning timber which must have fallen upon it; and the examinant supposed that the other sufferer, William Perris, was passing close to the building, on his way to Haworth, after his day's work.  The mangled parts of his body were found about 40 yards from the hand-corning House. Samuel Edwards deposed that there was no defect in the works; and was clear that none were in motion at the time of the accident.  No other witness was examined, and the Jury immediately returned a verdict of Accidental Death. ...[details of damage.]

Cambrian, 2 March 1816

Dreadful effect of an illicit connection!

On Friday, in a scuffle between a Mr. Brooks and a Mr. Thompson, in which a pistol was discharged, the latter was shot in the head, and died on Sunday. - On an examination at the Mansion-house, it appeared Mr. B. had been acquainted with a young woman of the name of Sarah Tookey for more than six years, during which period they had lived together as man and wife, but were not married. ... Mr. Brookes in his return finding that Miss T. had left him, went in quest of her and Thompson, ... B. on perceiving his danger, got rid of the poker, and closed with Thompson, in order to wrest from his hands the deadly weapon; but B. states that in this he did not succeed, and finding that Thompson was endeavouring to discharge the pistol, he turned it aside, when the contents entered the head of the unfortunate man, and he instantly fell, and bled profusely. ... An inquest was held upon the body of Monday, when a verdict of wilful murder was given against Brookes.

Cambrian, 20 September 1817

Extraordinary Death. - Friday an inquest was held at the Adam and Eve, Hoxon, on the body of Thos. Humphries, who was found drowned in an iron-pot, he being bin his knees, and his head in the water. - Adam Lane sworn, said, he lives in Miles's madhouse; about three o'clock the preceding morning he was in bed; a patient called him, and desired him to get up, as there was something the matter.  Witness immediately got up, struck a light, and went down the stair foot floor.  The patient, who was in the yard, said, come hither.  Witness went into the yard, and saw the deceased on his knees, with his head in an iron pot, which was under the cock of the water-tub; witness was so alarmed, he ran into the house, and called his fellow servant, with whose assistance he pulled him out, but found him quite dead.  Witness is unable to say whether he committed suicide, or fell in by accident.  The deceased was decidedly insane, and came to that house by virtue of a certificate from Dr. Moseley, of Chelsea Hospital.  - Verdict, Insanity.

Cambrian, 1 November 1817

An inquest was held last week on the body of Captain Morris Farmer, who had, a few days before, been to take leave of some friends in the King's Bench, previous to his going to South America to join the Spanish patriots;  On this occasion all the party go intoxicated, and when Captain Farmer wished to retire the door was locked, which induced him to pretend that he would get out of the window, and in so doing he lost his balance, fell the height of two stories, and was so injured that he died on Thursday. Verdict: - The deceased came by his death by accidentally falling from a window in the King's Bench prison, when in a state of intoxication.

Cambrian, 17 January 1818

   Long account of fatal military duel: Mr. Theodore Callaghan and Lieut. Bailey, both 58th regiment:   Bailey: the shot had entered on his right side, passed through his intestines, and all but came through on the left side, it only being contained by the skin.  The shot had carried with it a piece of the cloth of the coat and other garments. At Chalk-farm, Ingham's lane, Hampstead. [Trial at Old Bailey, Cambrian, 24 January; Manslaughter.]

Cambrian, 24 January 1818

Dreadful Effects of Drunkenness. - An inquest was held at the White Hart, Tottenham, on the 15th inst. on the body of Mary Cockle, a widow, aged 36.  Elizabeth Buckingham said, on Tuesday morning the deceased's daughter told her, he mother, had been sleeping on the floor since Saturday, and would not speak to her.  Witness went to her, and found her as described, in a cold room; she was speechless, but recollected them.  The broom smelt strongly of brandy; and a gallon bottle, nearly empty, was by her side.  Dr. Holt was called in, who said she was perishing from cold.  They put her into bed, and offered her some coffee; but at the moment blood issued from her mouth, and she shortly afterwards died.  Witness said, she thought her death was occasioned by cold and excessive drinking. - Verdict accordingly.

Cambrian, 21 February 1818

   The Coroner's Inquest on the bodies of Mr. Bird and his housekeeper, after two adjournments, and hearing a great mass of evidence, brought in a verdict of wilful Murder against some person or persons unknown.  Several persons have been taken up on suspicion of having committed those diabolical murders, but nothing of a conclusive nature was proved against them; several have been liberated, and some are still in custody for further examination. [Funeral Greenwich churchyard.]

Cambrian, 21 February 1818

Violent Death of Sir Richard Croft.  It is with great regret we announce the death of this gentleman, who, on Friday morning, about half-past one o'clock, put an end to his existence, by shooting himself through the head, at the house of Miss Cotton, No. 86, Wimpole-street, Cavendish-square, where he had been called in to give his professional aid in the delivery of that lady's married sister. ... Friday an inquest was held ... and the Jury, after a short consultation, returned a verdict if Died by his own act, being, at the time he committed it, in a state of mental derangement.  Si Richard was in his 57th year.  He has left a widow, three sons, and a daughter.

Cambrian, 28 February 1818

Suicide of Hatch, the Murderer. - The above unfortunate wretch terminated his existence on Friday morning, at half-past eight o'clock, by nearly severing his head from his body!  ... An inquest was held on the body of the above unfortunate wretch on Saturday, when, after a long and clear examination of a large body of witnesses, the Jury brought in a verdict of - Felo-se-se.

   The following letter, addressed to Mrs. Mining, the mother of the murdered young woman [Mary Mining] was written by the suicide the night before his death: - ... W. HAITCH.

Another Wife Murdered at Tottenham. - Saturday information of another horrid murder, committed by a man at Tottenham, upon his newly-married wife, and afterwards savagely terminated his own existence, was received at Worship-street Office.

   The frequent repetition of this crime of late, once considered to be so repugnant to the English character, renders the details of the particulars extremely distressing; but public duty demands the publication and we subjoin them briefly as follows:-

   On Friday morning, Mr. Bishop, a master carpenter, who had built several houses at Tottenham, found that one of them had been shut up since Saturday, the 14th inst.; apprehensive that his tenant had decamped, he caused the door to be broken open, and painful to relate, the occupant, named John Nightman, and his wife, were both found with their throats cut.  The female was in bed, and the man was only half dressed, part of his clothes lying on the floor.  The discovery of this event has occasioned the circulation of various rumours; the female, it appears, had been servant to Mr. Wild, of Tottenham, and was married only three weeks ago to Nightman, then a journeyman carpenter.  Subsequently they entered into business, but having little or no funds, they did not succeed.  Nightman then wrote a letter to a friend in the country, who sent no answer, noir any remittance.  The disappointment is supposed to have occasioned sudden frenzy, under the impulse of which he destroyed his wife, and then terminated his own life.  An inquest sat on the bodies in the course of Saturday, when the jury, as the close of the evidence, came to the conclusion, that Knighton had murdered his wife, and afterwards himself; but a difference occurred respecting the sanity of Knighton; a verdict was, however, ultimately given of Lunacy.

   A few days since, Mr. Parsons, a partner in the house of Croft and Parsons, paper-hangers, in the Strand, London, proceeded on a journey of business to Cheltenham.  A young lady, to whom he was about to be married, living in the neighbourhood, he hired a horse, with the intention of paying her a visit.  He had not proceeded more than two miles from Cheltenham, when the animal took fright, ran away, and finally threw him off.  He fell on his head, and almost immediately expired.  His corpse was conveyed to the house in which his intended resided.  Her feelings may be more easily conceived than described.  The deceased was one of nineteen children by the same parents, and had he lived, would have received a very handsome property.

Cambrian, 21 March 1818

Murders at Greenwich. - We have some consolation in stating, that the diabolical murderers of Mr. Bird and his housekeeper, are likely to be discovered.  Three young men, servants out of place, are suspected; one named Haseldon is in custody; and a considerable quantity of Mr. Bird's property has been discovered at the house of the brother of the supposed murderer, named Hussey.  This man has absconded, but his brother, a hair-dresser at Peckham, where the villain had deposited the property, is entirely unconnected with the transaction.

Cambrian, 21 March 1818

Fatal Affair. - Yesterday morning, at Union-Hall, Southwark, a man [Fawcett] was examined for having shot his own son by mistake, instead of the seducer [Bush] of his wife.  It appeared that the seducer and himself had both been confined under the Insolvent Act: when the former getting first liberated, he had contrived to alienate the affections of the woman, who, with the youth in question, aged about 20, lived under the seducer's roof.  This produced a determined ion in the mind of the injured man to shoot his rival in her affections; but in going to his house, and enquiring for him, his own son unfortunately answered the call, and the unhappy man, not taking time to see it was the person he sought, discharged the contents of a horse pistol into his son's side, who languished till to-day, and then expired.  The miserable parent was remanded. 

Cambrian, 28 March 1818

A Robber Drowned. - On Wednesday night, about nine o'clock, during the absence of the family, who were from home at an evening party, some villains, by means of picklock keys, entered the dwelling house of Mr. Pratt, of the Terrace, Camden Town, and broke open and rifled several drawers, &c. - The villains happened to be just quitting the house with their booty when Mr. Pratt and the family returned, on which the villains made a precipitate retreat, each of the three taking a separate way.  Mr. Pratt ran after one, whom he pursued along the bank of the new cut, and when on the point of laying hold of him, he jumped into the canal, whether with an intent to drown himself or swim across is not known, but he sunk to rose no more; the weight of the plate and other articles with which his pockets were stuffed brought him to the bottom.  The alarm was given, and the drags procured, and after a considerable lapse of time, the body was taken up quite dead.  It was carried to the Britannia public-house, for a Coroner's inquest.

   An inquest sat on Monday, on the body of young Fawcett, who w as killed by his father under circumstances noticed in our last.  Nothing new transpired except the certainty that Bush and Fawcett's wife lived together, and that the son adhered to them instead of living with his father, who is represented as having been perfectly infuriated by this double desertion. The verdict as - Wilful Murder against the father.

Cambrian, 18 April 1818

Trial of John Fawcett for the murder of his son. [John Fawcett, jun.]

John Fawcett was indicted at Surrey Assizes for the wilful murder of John Fawcett, jun. his son, on the 13th of March last, at the parish of Saint Olave, Southwark. ... At length the jury turned round, and assumed their places.  Their foreman pronounced the verdict - Not guilty.

Cambrian, 13 June 1818

Inquest. - An inquest was held on Friday, at the General Hill Tavern, Wellington-street, Chelsea, on the body of Capt. G. Hudson, of the East India service.  The deceased had formerly been on intimate terms with a lady, who had slighted him, which at intervals preyed on his mind.  More recently he had paid his addresses to a Mrs. Chillingworth, in the Fulham-road, and they were to have been married the day after the horrid act took place.  On the 2d inst. the deceased went to walk with this lady, and talked of his former acquaintance with a lady who had treated him slightly, and appeared to fret very much about her.  The lady whom he was then courting advised him to forget her: he replied that he could not.  When they returned home to his intended wife's residence they spent the evening sociably, but he went subsequently to the back of the apartment, and with a pen-knife cut his throat.  The lady seized his arm, cried "Murder," and held him till the watchman came, who found him bleeding profusely.  A surgeon was then fetched, who sewed up the wound, and on questioning the deceased, he said he was in a fit at the time he did it.  he died on Thursday last; he was not the least embarrassed in his circumstances, and his connexions were of the highest respectability.  Mr. Chapman, on going into the room, saw the female using efforts to prevent his completing the deed, and he then attempted to tear his throat with one of his hands.  In the deceased's apartment, on the mantel-piece, was found a letter containing the following paragraph:- "Jane M-h-tt and Sir E--- R---have been the ruin of me.  The Lord and Father of heaven forgive them."  The Jury returned a verdict of insanity.

Cambrian, 27 June 1818

Caution to Drunkards. - Yesterday an inquest was taken on the body of one Jane Mills, of Harecourt, Gray's-Inn-lane, when it appeared that the deceased had drunk 34 half-quarterns of gin at different dram-shops, and that, upon opening her body, her stomach was discovered to have been completely corroded by drinking. Verdict - Died in a fit of intoxication.

   This morning, at the Old Bailey, John Dennett was found guilty of the murder of Jane Rogers, and sentenced to be hanged on Monday next.   Nothing was adduced on the trial more than has already appeared in the Police reports.  The prisoner is a miserable looking object, aged 62.

Cambrian, 11 July 1818

The Greenwich Murders. - Tuesday evening, as some labourers were cleaning out a pit at the back of Mr. Luton's house, in Greenwich, they found a large iron hammer, corresponding with the description of that with which Mr. Bird and his house-keeper were murdered.  It was brought to Mr. Bignell, the solicitor, who took it to Mr. Birnie, at Bow-street; when an order was given that every exertion should be made to find out the owner.

   Dreadful Suicide and Attempt. - Friday morning, about one o'clock, the attention of one of the sentries, stationed on the pagoda bridge in St. James's Park, was attracted by two females, who were crying, conversing, and shaking hands with each other, and appeared in a very distressed condition from their appearance: he took no further notice of them, and marched backward and  forward on the bridge, till at length he saw them salute each other and part; one of them went to one side of the bridge, and the other proceeded to the opposite side, and climbing on the balustrade, hung by their hands; the sentry instantly ran to the one who was the nearest to him, and laying hold of her whilst suspended from the outside of the balustrade, effected his purpose in saving her life; during this interval, the other woman threw herself into the water, and was drowned; the soldier gave the alarm, and some persons came to his assistance, to whom he related the case, and with difficulty the unhappy woman that was saved was conveyed to the workhouse.  Drags were immediately provided, and in about half an hour after, the body of the other unfortunate woman was got out, but was quite dead, and was carried to the workhouse for the Coroner's Inquest.  The woman who was saved gave the following account of this melancholy circumstance:-

   She stated her name to be Mary Carpenter, and her husband is a soldier in the Guards.  The other woman's name is ----- Awger, and her husband is in the same regimen; that the deceased and she were companions, and brought the greatest distress on themselves by drinking; in consequence of which their husbands would not let them come near them, and maintained their children themselves. - They had been out drinking all that day; and not having a lodging to go to that night, and not being able to procure one, they agreed with one another, (for the purpose of ending their miseries,) to drown themselves, and proceeded to the Pagoda bridge for that purpose. - She said that she was still determined to carry her intention into effect, as soon as ever she had her liberty.  She seemed in the greatest distress, having no shoes or stockings on, and only a gown, handkerchief, and bonnet; she is about 30 years of age.

Cambrian, 25 July 1818

   Discovery of a Murder by a Dream. - Saturday an inquest was held at the Carpenters' Arms, John-street, Tottenham-court road, London, on view of the body of a full grown infant, found in the privy of the above house, under the following strange circumstances:-

   On Friday night night, when Mrs. Peat, the landlady, who has been a widow for two years past, retired to sleep, she dreamt that some person gave three distinct knocks at her door, and she heard a female voice say: "Mistress! Mistress! Here is some person putting a child down the privy."  During the remainder of the night, her mind was haunted by this idea and on going down to breakfast, she related her dream to her brother in law, who treated it with ridicule; but it had gained such credence with her, that she determined to explore the water closet.  Accordingly, she provided herself with a stick, and put it into the privy, where, after about a minute's search, she raised the arm of a child; she was extremely terrified, and called loudly for her brother in-law, who, assisted by another, got sticks, and after some trouble brought up the body, which did not seem putrid, and appeared to have come to its full growth. - Information was sent to the beadle, who caused a Jury to be impanelled.  The Coroner came, attended by Mr. Raynsford, the Police Magistrate, and other gentlemen.  The first witness was Mrs. Peat's servant maid; but after an ingenious and laborious examination, nothing could be elicited to throw the least light on the subject.  Mrs. Pear detailed her dream without hesitation, and was confirmed by her brother-in-law in its material points.  Mr. Upham, a surgeon, said the child was full grown.  After a long consideration of the case, the Jury returned a verdict of Wilful Murder against some person or persons unknown.

Cambrian, 31 October 1818

LONDON, THURSDAY, Oct. 22. - DEAN, the wretch who murdered the infant child in Thomas's-street, Kent-road, on Friday last, by cutting its throat, voluntarily surrendered himself on Tuesday morning.  ...

   Robert Weston, Esq. surgeon, had examined the child, discovered that her windpipe was quite severed, and was of opinion that it caused her instant dissolution.

   The Coroner having said a few words, the jury returned a verdict of - Wilful Murder against Robt. Dean.

   [From confession: After talking in a very friendly manner with the family, I asked for a knife, and they supposing that I wanted to cut some bread, gave me a case knife.  I took an opportunity of concealing it unperceived in my pocket.  I shortly went out with the child to buy some apples, which having done I returned to the court.  A sudden thought came over my mind, that if I murdered the child, who was innocent, I should not commit so great a crime as in murdering  Sarah Longman, who was older, and, as I imagined, had sins to answer for.  In a moment I pulled the knife out of my pocket, put the child down out of my arms, held her head back, and cut her throat; in an instant I imagined that  I  was in the midst of flaming fire, and the court appeared to me like the entrance of hell.  I ran away, not knowing where I went, or what I did; I wandered about in a state of distraction, until I surrendered myself up."

Cambrian, 7 November 1818


   ... he suddenly, with a razor, in the delirium of grief, put an end to his existence.  In one minute Dr. Roget entered, and found him weltering in his blood.  He was in his sixtieth year. ...

   A Coroner's inquest was this morning held, ... before T. Stirling, Esq. Coroner for Middlesex. ...  The examination of the different witnesses fully went to prove, that the dreadful act was committed when the deceased was in a state of mental derangement, brought on by a series of suffering, both in body and mind; which the Jury perfectly coincided in, and pronounced the following verdict:- We are unanimously of opinion that the deceased cut his threat whilst in a state of mental derangement.

Cambrian, 14 November 1818

SUICIDE. - On Tuesday morning, about ten o'clock, Mr. Elliot, a wine-merchant, residing in Paternoster-row, London, put a period to his existence by cutting his throat with a razor. - It appears the unfortunate gentleman was sitting a breakfast reading the newspaper, and suddenly started up and committed the fatal act. No cause can at present be assigned for its commission. - This person took an active part in the late Westminster Election in the interest of Mr. Hunt, but, in consequence of the Orator's gross behaviour, he disclaimed all further connexion with him, and went over to the Committee of his opponents.  The Coroner's inquest returned a verdict of Insanity.

Cambrian, 2 January 1819

Dreadful Accident. - A most alarming and sudden accident took place on Monday morning, which threw the neighbourhood of Poplar into the utmost confusion.  In consequence of the inhabitants of that place not having a sufficient supply of water of late, the parish, for the purpose of furnishing them more conveniently with that necessary article, determined on having wells made, and for a length of time past several men have been employed digging them in High-street, Poplar.  They had succeeded in making them an amazing depth, but still kept digging until Monday morning last, when an accident of the most dreadful nature occurred.   Several men were employed, some placed at the bottom of the well digging, while others were at the top to draw up the dirt in a tub.  Mr. Broadhurst, bricklayer, of Poplar, who was the person employed to conduct that part of the business, was at work with his man, placing some bricks nearly at the bottom of the well, and was alarmed by a labourer digging at the bottom, who told him that he was afraid there was a great danger, part of the place being quite wet and soft, and some of it actually having given way.  Mr. Broadhurst went immediately to the bottom to ascertain whether there was any danger, and was soon convinced that there was not a moment to spare to save their lives.

   The tub in which the dirt was conveyed up was at the bottom, and some of the men clung to the ropes.  Mr. Broadhurst got on the tub, and they bawled out to the men above to draw up, or they would be killed; the men, on hearing the alarm, instantly began drawing up, but in a moment the whole of the earth at each side gave way and buried them.  The report of the accident soon spread about the town, and in a shirt time several thousands of persons collected round the spot, and the labourers commenced digging for the bodies; they continued until yesterday, where, on getting near the place where the unfortunate persons were buried, smothered groans were distinctly heard; Mr. Broadhurst, on hearing the noise proceeding from the pick-axe, as well as he could called out, but very indistinctly; at last they got to him, and a most dreadful picture here presented itself; Mr. Broadhurst and his man were placed in a position (quite insensible) as if they had endeavoured, by using their hands, which were up to their faces, to prevent themselves from being suffocated.

   On digging further down, the body of a labourer, who by Mr. Broadhurst's account was alive two hours previous to his being found, was lying flat, laying hold of Mr. B.'s legs, and quite dead. - Another man, named Patrick Driscoll, was shortly after found with his head in a hollow, which he had made by his hands; he was with much difficulty extricated from his perilous situation, in an extremely exhausted condition, and having received several bruises.  Mr. Broadhurst was also much hurt.  They were drawn up by ropes, and carried by some men to a surgeon's from whence, after receiving every assistance, Mr. B. was taken to his residence in High-street, and Driscol to the Cooper's Arms, in a very dangerous condition. - The unfortunate deceased was conveyed to the workhouse for a Coroner's inquest.

Cambrian, 2 January 1819

Singular Character. - The following circumstances came out at the Coroner's inquest respecting Saml. Poole, who was burnt to death by fire, when broke out on Sunday morning, at the house of Mr. Neal, in Green Holborn-square, Fleet-market. At which a verdict of Accidental Death was returned. ... Witness could not say how the fire originated; he was of opinion that the light which the deceased burned had communicated to some of the heaps of old rags.  The property saved had been removed to a cellar, but it had not yet been examined.  The deceased was a man of a good education [former master furrier], but of the most penurious disposition; he was 57 years of age.

Cambrian, 6 February 1819

   Inquest. - On Monday last an inquest was held at Camberwell, London, on the body of Miss Jane Bouchier, a young lady of fortune, residing with her uncle, who, about a fortnight since, expressed his intention of placing her with an eminent dress-maker.  To this she indignantly objected, and disputers arose in consequence; at length she plainly declared she would quit her friends, if they persisted in their resolution.  This declaration led her uncle to confine her to her own room; when she said, if she was not let out immediately, she would never quit it alive.  This threat was disregarded; and the irritated girl fulfilled her threat, by cutting her throat from ear to ear. - verdict - temporary Derangement.  The verdict was pronounced at twelve o'clock noon, and at two in the afternoon she was carried to the grave, attended by a numerous crowd of spectators.

Cambrian, 27 March 1819

Melancholy Effects of Imagination. - A Coroner's inquest was held on Friday, in the board room of St. Giles's Workhouse, on the body of a poor woman named Catherine Ellis, who resided at No. 1, Ivy-street, George-street, Bloomsbury. - It appeared from the evidence of James Peddy, a shoemaker, and Sarah his wife, that the deceased and her husband lived in the next room to them; that the deceased was confined to her bed several days, and would not be persuaded to leave it, imagining that she was dead.  She frequently asked them why they kept her so long without burying her.  She would not be persuaded to take any nourishment but toast and water, of which she drank a great deal.  On Monday last, a doctor came to visit her, whose opinion was that she had a severe brain fever.  He prescribed some medicine.  After the doctor was gone she called to Sarah Peddy, and desired her to take the bed from under her and lay her on the sacking as she was dead, and send for a coffin to have her buried, as she was dead a long time.  The deceased continued all that day in a very deranged state of mind; she took the medicine that was prescribed; and about five o'clock on Tuesday evening, taking advantage of the absence of her husband, she got up and threw herself out of the window.  She was immediately taken up and carried to the workhouse for medical and surgical examination, but she died the next day. Verdict - Insanity.

Cambrian, 10 April 1819

   Dreadful Accident on the Thames. - On Tuesday morning, a party of gentlemen, consisting of Mr. John Pesman, belonging to the firm of Messrs. Childer and Co. of East Smithfield, Mr. Henry Childer, jun. and another, who were going out on a party of pleasure, as far as Gravesend, set out, about 12 o'clock, from Wapping, in a sailing-boat.  On their arrival at Long Reach, about the middle of the Thames, a sudden gust of wind twisted the sail on the contrary side of the boat, which overturned it; and the waterman, together with the whole of the party, were thrown into the water. - After struggling some time they succeeded in clinging to the side of the boat, and in that perilous situation they hung on for a length of time.  It was impossible to obtain any assistance, it being such a solitary part of the river.  The waterman, who could swim, was obliged to keep hold of the boat, being placed in such a situation, that the whole of the party would have been drowned if he had left them.  Mr. Childer, by hanging to the boat, became so extremely weak, that he was obliged, at length, to let go, and struggled in the water, till he sunk to rise no more.  Mr. Pesman and the waterman, having more strength, kept their hold, hanging in the water for near an hour and a half after Mr. Childer was drowned; when the boat began to drift towards the shore.  The waterman left his hold, and, although very faint, endeavoured to gain he shore, and succeeded in saving Mr. Pesman.  On going on shore, they walked, in an exhausted condition, to the nearest house, and change their clothes.  The body of Mr. Childer was found on the following morning; and an inquest was held at the Turk's Head, Wapping, on it.  Verdict - Accidental Death.

Cambrian, 17 April 1819

Coroner's Inquest. - Instances of self-destruction sometimes occur, which hold out a lesson to mankind of the most awful nature.  Among these, the fatal occurrence which is here related, may claim a place. From the following inquest it will appear that the unhappy man fell beneath his own hand, a victim to his infidelity! ...

   An inquisition was taken on Thursday, before T. Shelton, Esq. Coroner, in the Vestry Room of St. John's, Southwark, on the body of Mr. John Beveridge, hosier and dealer in flannels, who resided in Thornton-street, in the said parish, who put an end to his existence.  The following evidence was given:-

[Mr. Westmore, butcher, Thornton-street; - saw the deceased lying on his back; half his head was blown off; a pistol recently discharged lay a short distance from him, and another pistol was under his arm, unloaded.] Other evidence: Mr. Thomas Bolton, of Bermondsey-buildings; Mr. Proctor, parish officer; Mr. Astley, surgeon, Rotherhithe, deposed, ... he appeared to have put the muzzle of the pistol barrel behind his right ear; the back part of the head was completely carried off. ...

   Several Jurymen expressed an opinion that the deceased was not deranged at the time; but the majority were of opinion that he was insane, and a verdict of Lunacy was recorded.

Cambrian, 26 June 1819

Suicide. - Early on Thursday morning, an officer of the 15th dragoons was found suspended from one of the trees in the Mall of St. James's Park, not far from the back of Carleton House.  It appears he got upon the seat to enable him to perpetrate his horrid purpose, having been frustrated by a sentinel in a previous attempt to drown himself in the canal.  A gold watch was found upon his person, and also a draft for one hundred pounds.  He was discovered by a private of the Guards, after which some other soldiers came to the spot and the body was cut down.  Though rather warm, it was completely lifeless.  A card was found in his pocket, by which his person was recognized by his friends, who proved that the deceased had been in a very desponding state for several days.  He had stated to one of his relations his great unhappiness at not being able to pay a debt of 50l. at Cambridge.  A Coroner's Inquest was held at night on the body at a public-house in St. Martin's-lane. The evidence of his friends, and of the persons who first discovered the body, having been gone through, the Coroner's Jury returned a verdict of Insanity.

Cambrian, 3 July 1819

   Yesterday an inquest was held before J. Gell, Esq. Coroner for the city of Westminster, on the body of Miss E. F. Lopez, a most amiable and accomplished young lady, 24 years of age, at the house of her father, Sir M. Lopez, Bart. 8 Arlington-street, Piccadilly.  It appeared from the evidenced of the lady's maid, that the deceased went to bed apparently in good health and spirits on Thursday night, and was found dead the next morning.  A surgeon, who as called in on Friday morning, was of opinion, that the deceased died from a sudden fit of apoplexy. Verdict - Died by the visitation of God.

Cambrian, 4 September 1819

   This morning, a widow woman residing in the parish of Clerkenwell, whilst in bed, cut the throat of her son, a boy nine years old, who was sleeping by her side, and afterwards cut her own throat so desperately that, when the alarm given by the poor boy had brought in some neighbours, she was found quite dead.  The child's throat was cut from ear to ear, and the windpipe also cut a third part through; but the wounds were sewed up, and there are hopes of his recovery.

Cambrian, 25 September 1819

Distressing Event. -n Tuesday an inquest was held at the Swan-inn, Battersea, on the body of J. T. Dagnall, Esq. father of eleven children, the two youngest, twin boys, only a few days old, when it appeared in evidence that the deceased, on Friday last, got to the top of one of the walnut trees in his garden at Battersea, a height of 30 feet, to pick some walnuts, which he occasionally threw to his children who were under it; when one of the little ones cried out  "Father, pray do not fall."  No sooner had the child spoken the words, than the branch upon which the deceased stood broke, and he was precipitated to the bottom, in the progress of which his head took some lattice work, and broken it down.  He fell upon his head, which was dreadfully fractured behind, and lingered until Saturday morning, when he expired in excruciating agony. Verdict, accidental death.

   Dreadful Suicide. - Monday morning early, the neighbourhood of New-street was thrown into some confusion by the melancholy event of a young lady of superior accomplishments, named Burrell, lately married to an officer in the army, at present in Brighton, putting an end to her existence by stabbing herself with a knife.  This unfortunate lady it appears is of very respectable family, and possessed of considerable property.  Since her arrival in town she has occupied apartments at the Garrick's Head Tavern, Bow-street.  At intervals her mind appeared to be depressed, and she committed several inconsistent acts.  On Sunday she seemed relieved; on Sunday night she retired to her chamber earlier than usual, and on Monday morning she arose at four o'clock, and was seen at the top of the house with a brick in her hand, parading backwards and forwards.  She was extricated from her perilous situation.  She afterwards got into the street, and sat upon the step of the door, with a knife in her hand; a person attempted to get it from her, but she ran off in the direction of Catherine-street, and on her road inflicted two or three stabs on her left side, and fell down; she bled profusely, and was taken to Mr. Greaves's, surgeon, in Catherine-street, where every assistance was afforded her, but she died in a swoon.  Information was conveyed to her relatives in the country.  A Coroner's inquest was on Monday held on the body at the Unicorn, Covent-garden.  It appeared from the evidence that she was on the strictest terms of friendship with her husband, except as far as regarded religious opinions, she being a Catholic and he a protestant.  Verdict, Insanity.

Cambrian, 25 September 1819

Melancholy Effects of Drunkenness. - Wednesday night a Coroner's inquest was held in the Giltspur-street Compter, London, on the body of the Rev. Kinder Davis, late rector of the parish of St. Saviour's, in the borough of Southwark.  After the jury had viewed the body, Mr. Box, jun. the prison surgeon, stated, that early on Monday morning he found the deceased suffering under extreme nervous irritation, and a considerable inflammatory affection of the head.  He was attended during the day by himself and assistant, and every kind of medical aid was administered to him, but he died at nine o'clock the same evening, labouring under the effects of the disorder before stated. He was mostly delirious, but had sometimes lucid intervals.  It was his opinion, that the paralytic affection which the deceased laboured under was brought on by excessive drinking.  The jury found a verdict of - Died a natural death by the visitation of God.  - The deceased, it is said, was a man of great property, and of the most respectable connexions; but having lost his wife, of whom he was doatingly fond, and also his only son, a very promising young man, he gave way to habits of intemperance, which brought his existence to the above melancholy close.  The cause of the deceased's being in the Compter was, his acting disorderly whilst in a state of intoxication.

Cambrian, 16 October 1819

Awful Effects of an Illicit Connexion. - An inquest was held on Saturday at the Blue Anchor, in East Smithfield, before J. W. Unwin, Esq. Coroner, on the body of Esther Parsons.  It appeared that the deceased cohabited with a young man of the name of James Bennett, but some altercation having taken place, caused a separation; she came at different times at his lodgings, entreating of him to give her admittance, stating that she had no way of support nor place of residence; he would not hearken to her entreaties, but always sent her off; she at length despairing of his doing anything for her, told him that she would come and hang herself at his door; on Monday last he had occasion to leave home very early in the morning; on going out he locked the door, and in the interim the deceased came and asked the landlady if he (Bennett) was at home.  The landlady said he was not, but he would be in soon to breakfast: the deceased said she would go and sit on the stairs at his room door until he came in; she accordingly went up stairs, and the family took no further notice of her; Bennett came soon after, and on going up stairs, the first thing that presented itself to him, was the deceased suspended by a cord from the latch of the door; she was immediately cut down, and Mr. Price, a surgeon, residing in Ratcliff-highway, was sent for and used every possible means to restore her, but all to no purpose.    It appearing by the evidence of several persons that the deceased shewed symptoms of derangement previous to her committing the act, the jury returned a verdict, that she "hung herself, being in a state of temporary derangement of mind."

Cambrian, 6 November 1819

Shocking Accident. - Wednesday last a most dreadful accident happened on board the sloop Despatch, captain Badcock, lying in the river Thames.  The mate, a young man about 24 years of age, attending some gruel, was seized with an apoplectic fit, and he fell head-foremost in the fire, from which, being in a state of insensibility, he could not extricate himself.  The Captain being ashore, and the men who were upon deck not hearing any noise, no one came to his assistance until an hour after the accident, when one of the men having occasion to go into the cabin, found the unfortunate man on his knees, and his head in the fire, literally burnt to ashes.  The body was taken on shore to be examined by a Coroner's Jury.

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School