Skip to Content

Colonial Cases


British Chronicle, 30 March 1780
LIVERPOOL, MARCH 24. - On Friday last, between ten and eleven o'clock at night, the press-gang assembled before the house of James Richards, Hackin's-key in this town, where a number of sailors had resorted to protect themselves from being impressed; and upon Richards refusing to open the door, a general firing ensued, which continued about half an hour; in the affray, Richards, the master of the house, received two wounds in the face, of which he now lies dangerously ill at the Infirmary; a soldier belonging to the Yorkshire militia, who happened to be in the house when the press-gang  came, was unfortunately shot through the body, and died of his wounds the next morning.
  The Coroner's inquest have since sat on the body, and the Jury have brought in their verdict wilful murder against persons unknown.


The Observer, 3 March 1799

  James Booth, of Wearden Fold, Lancashire, returning from Shaw Hill with Ellen Derbyshire, midwife, perished with his companion, during the late inclement weather.  The wife of the unfortunate man was some time after he had left her delivered alone, and in consequence of extreme cold and weakness, was found by her neighbours literally frozen to her cloaths.


The Observer, 10 March 1799

   The driver of a waggon belonging to Mr. Hatch, was by its wheels, a few days since, crushed to pieces at the corner of a narrow lane in Ormskirk.


The Observer, 31 March 1799

BURNLEY. - A poor woman was killed here on Thursday, owing to the wind blowing her petticoats into the machinery of a cotton-mill, by which she was literally torn to pieces.  She has left five infant children.


The Observer, 16 March 1800

   A child was killed a few days ago, at Rochdale, by a cart passing over its body, the driver being absent from the horses.  He has been committed to Lancaster Gaol, to take his trial next Assizes.


The Observer, 8 May 1803

   The Manchester Paper of the 3d inst. contains the following account of a most shocking murder: - On Tuesday an inquisition was held at Hollinwood, on the bodies of one Hesketh, Alice Ogden, and an infant.  It appeared that Hesketh and Ogden had lived together nearly three years, and that early on Monday morning, a man going to work n the garden of the deceased, saw a quantity of blood running under the door. He alarmed the neighbours, who found Hesketh, with the infant across his thighs, both quite dead, and miserably bruised, lying upon the floor.  He had the key of the door in his pocket, and the end of the tongs in his hand.  Ogden was also in a dying state, and so much bruised as to be incapable of giving any account of this horrid business.  These circumstances induced the Jury to believe that one or both of them killed the child and each other.


The Observer, 6 November 1803

   Some days ago, a young man, servant to Mr. Wright, farmer, of Roby, Lancashire, having been in the habit of fondling his master's dog, the animal bit him, and soon afterwards discovered symptoms of madness, and died in a raging state.  The youth also exhibited signs of derangement, and on Saturday se'nnight died in a most fearful paroxysm of hydrophobia.  The dog having been for some time chained up, did no farther mischief.


Cambrian, 14 July 1804

Last week, an inquisition was held at Great Bolton, on the body of a child ran over by a cart, and killed.  It appearing in evidence that the driver was unlawfully riding on the shafts, he was in consequence committed to Lancaster gaol for trial.

   A young man, servant to an apothecary, has also been committed to Lancaster gaol, upon the Coroner's Inquest of manslaughter, for having inadvertently given to a child a dose of laudanum (which caused its death) instead of syrup of rhubarb.


The Times, 25 August 1806
  On Tuesday, James Backhouse was tried and acquitted of the murder of Thomas Bockbank, of Cartmel; but found guilty of manslaughter, fined one shilling, and sentenced to be imprisoned six months.


Cambrian, 1 September 1810

A tradesman at Chorley named Price was summoned on Tuesday as one of the members of a Coroner's inquest, to sit on the body of a neighbour who had drowned himself.  During the inspection of the body he appeared much affected, and while the persons who found the corpse were giving their evidence he retired.  Being absent longer than was expected, a messenger was dispatched to seek him, when he was discovered lifeless in a room adjoining, having, it is supposed, strangled himself with a silk handkerchief.


Carmarthen Journal, 26 December 1812

   As one of the Manchester coaches was going into Liverpool, a few days ago, it was overturned, owing to the intoxication of the coachman, by which culpable negligence a gentleman of Oldham was killed, and several other passengers dreadfully bruised.  A Coroner's inquest has been held on the body, and a verdict of Manslaughter returned against the coachman.


Cambrian, 2 April 1814

   On Saturday, John Buckley was executed at Lancaster, having been convicted of the wilful murder of Dorothy Rosthorn.  The malefactor had been a quack doctor at Bolton, and the woman being pregnant, applied to him to procure abortion, in endeavouring to effect which he caused her death.


Cambrian, 25 February 1815

   Liverpool. - The following mist horrid transaction took place here on Wednesday morning last. - A man of the name of Thomas Cosgrave, who resides in a small court in Cheapside, has been observed for some time past to have lived on very bad terms with his wife; the neighbours having frequently heard them quarrelling, and she having frequently expressed a reluctance to go home for fear of being beaten by her husband.  Between six and seven o'clock on Wednesday morning, a man  walking along Cheapside, was surprised to see Cosgrave standing at the end of the passage in which he lives, with no clothes on but his shirt and night-cap.  On the man's approach, Cosgrave immediately begged him to alarm the neighbourhood; saying that he had just strangled his wife and cut his own throat.  The man being much alarmed at this account, procured two other men to accompany him, and all three returned to the place and entered Cosgrave's habitation, whom they found lying on the bed beside his wife, who was quite dead.  They found her linen covered with blood, and Cosgrave's also; and the unhappy wretch having repeated the same account as before, a constable was immediately sent for, and he was taken into custody without offering the least resistance or making any attempt to escape.  The wound in his throat has since been sewed up, but he has not yet been pronounced out of danger. Coroner's verdict - wilful murder against Thomas Cosgrave.  [See 11 March, below, died in Bridewell.]


The Cambrian, 11 March 1815

   Thos. Cosgrave, the unhappy wretch mentioned in our paper of the 25th ult. on whom a verdict of wilful murder was found for the murder of his wife at Liverpool, expired in Bridewell on Tuesday morning last.  A Coroner's inquest sat on the body and brought bin a verdict of felo de se. - His remains were interred on Thursday morning about six o'clock, at the junction of the four streets opposite to the end of Marylebone, in the presence of a considerable number of spectators.


Cambrian, 7 October 1815

Liverpool, Sept. 27. - We are extremely concerned to state, that after the performance of Richard III to a crowded audience, attracted by the talents of Mr. Kean, at our theatre, on Monday evening last, a serious and melancholy state of confusion occurred. ... The gallery contained about 800 persons, who simultaneously pressed towards the passage leading to the staircase, which was instantly choaked: it was there that a young woman of the name of Edge, who had but a few hours before arrived in town, was literally trampled to death. ... A Coroner's inquest sat on the body, where it appeared the accident was produced by the riotous behaviour of a person described as follows in the evidence of Mr. Kean, the actor: [detailed account of a Mr. G.] - Verdict, accidental death.


Cambrian, 19 September 1818

DIED. - At Blackpool, in Lancashire, the Hon. Mr. Annesley, only brother of the Earl of Mount Morris.  The amiable young man was drowned while bathing, being forced by the violence of the tide beyond hiss depth.  It is only a fortnight since he was married, and his bride was an eye witness of the catastrophe from her window.


Cambrian, 5 December 1818

Curious Verdict. - A man named Matthews, in a state of intoxication, fell into the Duke's Dock, at Liverpool, last week; he was taken out alive, but he died soon after. - The verdict of the coroner's inquest was - Found Drowned.


Cambrian, 12 December 1818

Murder. - A most brutal murder was committed in the neighbourhood of Liverpool, on Wednesday last.  A woman of the name of Nixon, was found about dusk in the evening, in the road from Derby Chapel to Fazackerley, with her throat cut, by a young boy, son of the Rev. Mr. Towne. She was not dead, but expired in a short time afterwards.  The knife with which the fatal deed had been committed, was found near the place where the woman was lying; which having been traced to belong to the family by whom her husband was employed, he was immediately taken into custody to await the verdict of the Coroner's Jury.  It is said that the woman and husband have not lived together for some time.  On Saturday, an inquest was held on the body, before Harvey Wright, Esq. Coroner, when a verdict of wilful murder was returned against the husband, who was immediately committed for trail, and sent off the same afternoon to Lancaster.


Cambrian, 27 November 1819

 On Monday week, B. Conner went into Mr. Patrick's shop, in Strand-street, with the intention of purchasing a pistol.  After having selected one which he conceived would suit him, he enquired (previously to paying for it) if he could try it, and being answered in the affirmative, he proceeded up stairs for that purpose.  Having loaded it, he delivered to an apprentice a piece of paper, which the boy concluded was to be placed on the wall as a mark to shoot at, when, melancholy to relate, no sooner had the boy received than he (Conner) presented the pistol to his own breast, and fired it off, the ball from which passed through his body, and killed him on the spot.  It was afterwards discovered that the paper given to the boy contained his address, and that he was mate of the Fairfield.  An inquest was on Tuesday held on his body, when a verdict of Insanity was returned. - Liverpool Courier.


Cambrian, 22 January 1820

      On Tuesday se'nnight, a butcher was preparing to kill a pig in a stonemason's yard in the Curtan-road, and, as is frequently the practice, he held the knife in his mouth while he adjusted the pig, but he had scarcely laid hold of the knife for the purpose of sticking it, when the animal, by a sudden exertion, struck the handle of the knife, and forced it into the throat of the unfortunate man, who soon afterwards expired from loss of blood.  He has left a widow and two children. - Manchester paper.


Cambrian, 19 May 1821

Robber Shot. - The Birmingham Gazette of May 7 says, On Saturday morning, about three o'clock, Mr. Wells, of Great Charles-street, in this town, was disturbed by a noise in his shop, which adjoins his bedroom; he immediately got up, and, whilst dressing, a light was seen by his mother in an upper shop.  Having armed himself with a gun, which on account of a previous robbery had been loaded with ball, he proceeded to a chamber window overlooking the shop and back-yard, and saw a man descend in haste from the upper shop thorough the window; upon reaching the ground, the person attempted to make off up the yard; and upon refusing to stop on being called after, Mr. Wells fired his piece in that direction; apprehending that other depredators were about, he immediately raised an alarm, and hastened with the watchman and others up the yard, where they found a man lying on his face, quite dead, the ball having entered the back part of his head.  On his person was found some pick-lock-keys, an iron c row, tinder-box, and matches.  The body was removed to a public-house nearly adjoining, where a Coroner's Inquest is expected to sit on it this day.  The deceased's name was Thos. Hill, living in Queen-street; in one of his pockets was also found a letter from a man named Allen, now under sentence of transportation for highway robbery.  Verdict, justifiable homicide.


The Cambrian, 17 May 1823

EXTRAORDINARY SUICIDE. - On Saturday morning the town of Bury was thrown into a state of alarm, from a report that a murder and suicide had been committed in the night, at a house in School-hall-lane.  It turned out, that a man named John Spring, who had for some months been cohabiting with a girl of the town, one Mary Gooch, had procured poison for their mutual destruction; that they had taken it at the same time; but that only the girl had fallen victim, as, from having swallowed too large a portion, his stomach had ejected the draught, and he had subsequently cut his throat, but was still alive.  The proper authorities having received notice of the dreadful occurrence, a coroner's inquest assembled, and the Jury delivered their verdict, that "Mary Gooch, being of sound mind, took laudanum to ensure her death, procured at her request by Spring, and that she died. - Felo de se.

   About midnight, the remains of the wretched woman were interred in the cross-road, and the end of Rosbygate-street.


The Cambrian, 13 December 1823

   At Liverpool, during the high winds of last week, many chimneys were blown down, and several houses partially unroofed; but the most afflictive occurrence happened in St. Vincent-street, where two ladies, the daughters of the Rev. C. Winstanley, while asleep in an upper room, were buried in ruins by the falling of a chimney upon the roof, which burst through into their apartment, and killed one of them, a young lady about twenty years of age, on the spot; the other, who was the younger sister, was happily extricated without suffering much injury.


The Cambrian, 21 February 1824

MURDER. - On Monday night, about half-past ten o'clock as John Jones was returning home, accompanied by his son, a boy of about fourteen, from attending a friendly society, of which he was a member, he was attacked in Vauxhall-road, opposite the end of Maguire-street, Liverpool, by three men.  They were armed with bludgeons; and as soon as Jones came up, they struck the unfortunate man several blows on the head with these deadly weapons, and he fell almost instantly.  The savages having accomplished their diabolical porpoise, immediately fled; but the shrieks of the boy having attracted the watchman, and other persons, to the spot, the villains were pursued, and one of them was fortunately captured.  He was committed to Bridewell, to await the Coroner's inquest.  Meanwhile the unfortunate man was taken up insensible, when it was found that the skull was so dreadfully fractured by the blows it had received, as to leave no chance of his recovery.  He was conveyed home, and after ,lingering in great agony, expired on Tuesday at noon.  The deceased was a sawyer, and had continued at his work, notwithstanding the bulk of the trade have, for some time past, been standing out for wages; and his conduct had, it is supposed, excited the hostility of the other men.  The man who was taken in endeavouring to make his escape is also, we are informed, a sawyer.  The bludgeon with which he was armed was a piece of square mahogany, so formed as to be firmly grasped by the hand, and to strike with great force. - Liverpool paper.


The Cambrian, 25 December 1824

DREADFUL ACCIDENT AT MANCHESTER. - A few minutes after five o'clock on Tuesday evening, the boiler belonging to the engine on the premises of Messrs. Windsor and Co. machine-makers and maunders, in Major-street, Portland-street, burst with such a violence as carried destruction all around.  The building was completely destroyed, excepting a small portion at the west end; there were forty-five people at work on the premises at the time, and the concussion created terror in the neighbourhood equal to an earthquake.  Immediately after the first alarm, hundreds flocked to the scene of destruction, and assisted to rescue the unfortunate individuals who were buried in the ruins; six were dug out alive, and immediately carried to the infirmary, since which four have died there.  A poor old man,, named Blaze, was working at the forge as a blacksmith,, and it appears, by the burnt state of his body, that he had been forced into the fire; his breast, neck, and face were dreadfully mutilated.  Three or four were taken to their respective homes very much wounded, but they are considered in a fair way of recovery. .  .  .  .  An inquisition was held on Wednesday upon the bodies of Thomas Wheeler, John Blaze, Henry Maclauchland, and Henry Robinson, and a verdict of accidental death returned. - Since the inquest, another man, William Holden, has died in the infirmary, making the fifth who has lost his life by the melancholy accident.


The Cambrian, 26 March 1825

EXTRAORDINARY OCCURRENCE. - The town and neighbourhood of Burnley have been kept in a state of considerable ferment during the last week, in consequence of the sudden demise of the wife of a principal manufacturer of that place, under very suspicious circumstances. The case, as related to us, is simply this:- On Tuesday morning week the husband of the unfortunate deceased, whose habits are described as being of an extremely irregular nature, returned home, after having absented himself the whole of the night, and having evinced his quarrelsome disposition by finding  faulty with every thing on the breakfast table, so far provoked his unfortunate wife as to induce her to remark, that it would have been better if he had stayed to breakfast where he had spent the night.  For this speech she received a violent blow on the head, which laid her senseless on the floor; and in about half an hour afterwards, according to the statement of our informant, she was a corpse.

   The brutal husband left the house a few minutes after he had given the blow in question, for the purpose of procuring a horse to accompany the procession of the High Sheriff out of Burnley; and on his return was met by one of his servants, who told him of her mistress's death.  "Dead !" rejoined he, "then what will become of me. ?"  Notwithstanding the notoriety of these facts, a Jury impannelled to hold an inquest on the body have actually returned a verdict of - Died by the Visitation of God.

   As we are only entitled to state these circumstances on common report, we withhold, for the present, the names of the parties. - The Manchester Courier.


North Wales Gazette (Bangor) 28 April 1825

HYDROPHOBIA.  - On Wednesday last, a fine boy, named John Duckworth, aged 14 years, son of mfr. John Duckworth, joiner, of this town,  died of this most dreadful disease, in consequence of a bite which h he received about a month ago, from a dog belonging to a person residing in Vauxhall-road, and which dog died three or four days afterwards.  The wounds from tine bite of the dog healed up a few days after receiving it, and the young lad enjoyed his usual health until Monday, when he complained of a pain in his head; it did not, however, prevent him from attending his work, until Tuesday morning at breakfast-time, when he grew much worse, and medical aid was called in, but without avail. - he lingered until Wednesday evening, when death put a period to his sufferings ! He was apprenticed to Mr. Rockliff, printer, of this town. - Liverpool paper.


North Wales Gazette (Bangor), 26 May 1825

UNCLAIMED CORPSE. - On Sunday week, an inquest was held at Longton, near Preston,  on the body of a man unknown, that was found drowned on the sands, at that place.  William Sutton, farmer, of Longton, stated, that on the previous day, about five o'clock, he was informed by a person he did not know, that a dead body was lying on the sands.  He accordingly went and found the deceased, who appeared to have been thrown up by the tide; he had on a blue coat, Bolton-quilted light-coloured waistcoat, striped fustian trowsers, nearly new shoes and dark worsted stockings, but no handkerchief on his neck.  In his pocket were found 3d. in copper, a penknife, a small ball of worsted, a toothbrush, and some papers; but nothing that could fix his identity.  It is to be hoped, however, that the publication of these particulars will be the means of advising the unfortunate man's friends of his untimely fate.



   .  .  .  .   The premises of Messrs. Taylor, wire-workers, were also injured.  A considerable part of the chimney fell upon the back of a dwelling-house, occupied by a Mr. Carwell, a blacksmith, and a Mr. Lorn, a shoemaker.  The unfortunate Mr. Lorn was in his bed, in an upper room, at the back.  This part of the house was knocked down from the ceiling to the cellar, and the dead body of poor Lorn was found in the morning, in the ruins, in a shockingly mutilated state.


North Wales Gazette (Bangor), 9 June 1825

   An inquest was held on Thursday at Kirkdale House of Correction on the body of William Hudson, a prisoner, who died on Wednesday, in consequence of a wound he received in the groin from a knife, by George Mittam, a fellow-prisoner, on the preceding Mon day.  The Jury returned a verdict of wilful murder against Mittam, who has been committed to Lancaster castle to take his trial for the offence.


North Wales Gazette (Bangor) 21 July 1825

   An inquest was held at Manchester on the 30th ult. which was adjourned to Wednesday last, on view of the body of Martha Standring, the wife of Joseph Standring, dyer, who was found dead in the area in front of her cellar, in Catliffe-street, Salford, about five o'clock on the morning of the 19th ult.  It appeared from the evidence of the surgeon that the deceased had died from strangulation.  After several witnesses had been examined, the Jury returned a verdict of wilful murder against Standing.

   On the same day, an adjourned inquest was also held on view of the body of Margaret Green, of Manchester, who died on the forenoon of Wednesday the 25th ult. in consequence of a blow received from her son, Charles Heyward Green, on the preceding Saturday, when a verdict of manslaughter was returned against him.  This young man is a writing-clerk in an attorney's office, and it appears he was in liquor at the time when the blow was given.  When the result was communicated to him by the coroner, he appeared to be completely overpowered by a sense of his situation, and merely said, in a tone of voice which was scarcely audible, "I did not intend to do her any harm."


The Cambrian, 18 February 1826

   A Coroner's Inquest has been held at Manchester on the body of Mr. Price, who was found dead in his warehouse in Marsden-square, and a verdict of Wilful Murder returned against a person named Evans, a clerk in the house, who has been committed for trial.


The Cambrian, 29 April 1826

DREADFUL SUICIDE. - Wednesday, an inquest was held on the body of James Brennan, Esq. merchant of Liverpool, who cut his throat at the Tavistock hotel, in the Piazza, on Sunday last'; he lingered till Tuesday, when he expired. About four hours after he committed the act, he wrote a letter, in which he says -

I have not the smallest cause to cult my throat.  How it happened I know not, but I must have done it, and on the easy chair.  How I came to have an old razor in my hand to shave there, really looks suspicious, but to cut my throat not likely.  It works me too much to write - the only thing I can remember is reviving and finding myself in my mangled state.  I went to the bell and rang it once.  I was delirious many times - I was just getting out of bed, and endeavoured to conquer it, but suppose I could not.

The Jury returned a verdict of Insanity.


The Cambrian, 3 June 1826

   Some particulars of a most savage and deliberate murder, committed on Monday, at Eccles, near Manchester, appear in our last page. A coroner's inquest was held on the spot on Wednesday, and a verdict of wilful murder against the perpetrators, Alexander and Michael M'kean, was returned.  The villains are brothers, natives of Dumfries, and both hawkers. .  .  . [Descriptions.]


The Cambrian, 19 August 1826

MELANCHOLY OCCURRENCE. - On Monday se'nnight, at about a quarter before one, the bonded warehouse of Mr. Poole, Suffolk-street, Liverpool, fell with an awful  crash, and buried in its ruins a small dwelling-house, and several workmen, who were erecting a vault and shed adjoining.  By the immediate assistance of a number of people four or five persons were extricated alive, some of whom are so dreadfully bruised as to leave little hopes of their recovery; two have been found dead, and two children are missing.  A n umber of workmen are now employed, under the direction of the Mayor, and other gentlemen, who have exerted themselves on the occasion, in clearing away the rubbish.  The warehouse was full of cotton, linseed, madders, &c. and the two vaults underneath contained a great deal of wine.  Various reports are abroad as to the cause of the accident, but it is generally supposed, that the warehouse had not been erected so substantially as to bear the weight of the good stored in it.


The Cambrian, 21 October 1826

FATAL EFFECTS FROM THE BITE OF A CAT. - Ann Baldwin, a char-woman, aged 53, died on Saturday se'nnight, at Salford, near Manchester, from the bite of a cat.  It is singular that the house in which it occurred is not a hundred yards distant from the spot where Mr. Vaughan lost his life  a short time since from a similar cause.  In the present instance, whilst the poor woman was washing at a lady's in Broughton-street, now three months since, the cat rushed into the wash house, followed by two dogs which were worrying the animal, and on endeavouring to save the cat from its pursuers, it  fixed its teeth in one of her fingers.  The wound was severe, but eventually healed through poultices and fomentations.  She, however, frequently complained of pains in her arms, and on Thursday was taken seriously ill.  Every medical assistance was afforded, but in vain; she died in the greatest agony.


The Cambrian, 15 March 1828

LATE ACCIDENT AT MANCHESTER. - Inquests were held on Saturday at Manchester on the bodies of the thirty-eight individuals who perished in the dreadful catastrophe which occurred in that town on the previous Thursday.  It was thought at first that the loss of life was even more extensive than stated; but although it has been said that several persons are still missing, the belief is, that no more bodies remain in the river.  From the evidence before the Coroner, it would appear that the accident arose from the people on board crowding more to one side of the boat than the other, and the Jury finally returned a verdict - that the unfortunate persons were accidentally drowned at the launching of a vessel.  It is remarkable that the calamity at the Brunswick Theatre and the calamity at Manchester, happened on the same day, and at nearly the same time.


Carmarthen Journal, 21 March 1828

   On the 6th inst. an inquest was held at Cowisham, near Oldham, on view of the remains of a fine girl, aged thirteen years, daughter or James Cocker, a poor widower.  The little sufferer was employed to do errands at the spinning factory of Messrs. Nield and Co. at Heyside, and, on the Tuesday preceding went to get a draught of beer for one of the men in the upper room.  Being a spirited and rather careless child, in giving him the ale, she approached too near a horizontal shaft, called "the line shaft."  The man took the drink, and cautioned her to keep back; when, turning to his work, he heard her cry, "Oh Bob."  Her clothes were caught.  In a moment she was whirled round  and round, bearing against the machinery.

   In a moment her head flew off into the next jenny-race, a distance of seven or eight yards.  All was confusion and terror in the room; the man tried to put machinery out of gear, but could not.  Meanwhile the body, continuing to be flung about with great force, was shockingly mutilated, and when, at length the engine stopped, the headless trunk was represented in an uptight posture, a spectacle too horrid to look upon.  One arm was totally torn off, and the abdomen ripped up.  The mangled remains were collected as soon as possible, stitched in a blanket, and taken home. - verdict, Accidental Death.


Carmarthen Journal, 23 May 1828

SHOCKING AND MYSTERIOUS OCCURRENCE. - Sunday morning last, a woman named Mary Eastwood, came to her death under circumstance of considerable suspicion.  The deceased, who is a widow, has for some time past been living in a state of concubinage with a man named Elijah Mayers, a mechanic, in the neighbourhood of Bank Top.  On Saturday evening Mayers and the deceased were drinking together at the Bull's Head public-house, in London-road, and about a quarter past ten o'clock they left that house together. They were afterwards seen at the Union Tavern, in David-street, near Garratt Bridge, where they stopped some time, and between eleven and twelve they went away in each other' company.  At that time they were both considerably intoxicated.

   About one o'clock in the morning the watchman found the body of the wretched women lying, quite dead, upon the flags, between the corner of Garratt Bridge and the end of Fishpond-street.  It is  said, that between twelve and one o'clock, the cries of as woman were heard proceeding from the spot where the deceased was found, calling out, "Oh dear, why do you hold my hands?"  The body was taken by the watchman to the union Tavern, to await the coroner's inquest. We understand that there were no visible marks of violence on the body; but some suspicion having arisen that he r death had been caused by Mayers, he was taken into custody on Sunday evening.  When apprehended, he denied having been in company with the deceased at all on Saturday evening.

   On Tuesday morning, at ten o'clock, an inquest was held on the body, before Mr. Milne, at the Anjon Tavern.  Reporters being (as usual) excluded, we have not yet been able to discover what took place at the inquest, or the precise verdict returned by the jury.  We understand, however, that Mr. Ollier was examined as to the appearance of the body, and the result of the inquest was, that Mayers was discharged. - Manchester Herald.


Carmarthen Journal, 4 July 1828

   On Monday a man calling himself John Wild, but whose real name is John Davies, was committed for trial at the Liverpool Sessions under the following circumstances: - On Friday afternoon he entered a public house in Marylebone, in company with a man very much intoxicated.  His conduct here exited suspicion, and when he was about to quit the house, leaving his companion behind, the people of the house stopped him, and inquired who the individual was whom he was abandoning in that state.   He replied that the person was a respectable man from Derbyshire, who had got drunk, but would soon come round again; he then took to his heels, but was pursued and brought back to the house. .  .  .  .   In the course of the night the intoxicated man died and an inquest was held on him the following day, when it appeared that he was a person of some respectability from Dublin, of the name of Askew, and that his death was produced by apoplexy - the effect of intoxication.


Carmarthen Journal, 5 September 1828

SHOCKING SUICIDE. - A most shocking instance of self-destruction took place on Sunday week, in Manchester.  Mr. Roger Entwistle, who filled for a number of years the situation of clerk of the race-course, had been lodging in a tavern in that town, and for a short time had been confined to his bed-room through indisposition.  About 12 o'clock on Saturday, a woman who attended him as nurse, going to his bed-room was much alarmed at not finding him there, and at seeing the floor coveted with blood.  Her shrieks alarmed the persons below, who, on rushing up stairs, found the unfortunate gentleman hanging to the top of a door in another room, and blood flowing in large quantities from a gash in his throat.  He was quite dead, though still warm.  The manner in which the deceased committed the shocking act, shewed a great desperation of purpose. He must have cut his throat in his bed-room; he had then walked into an adjoining room, tied a handkerchief once round his throat by the middle, and afterwards made a noose by tying the two ends together; this noose he had thrown over the corner of the door, and thereby suspended himself, with his feet nearly touching the ground.  A coroner's inquest was held on Friday on the body, and a verdict of insanity returned. Various reports are in circulation as to the cause of the unfortunate man's derangement; but it is understood that it proceeded from the painfully-acute nature of his illness.


Carmarthen Journal, 7 November 1828

   On Sunday morning se'nnight, a painful degree of interest was occasioned in Preston, in consequence of the dead body of a man having been found, at midnight, on the Marsh, dreadfully shot in the back.  It soon became known that the deceased had been one of a formidable party of not less than nine poachers, who had left the town on a lawless expedition to destroy game.  On Monday morning such statements were made as left no doubt but that the unfortunate man had met his death by accident.  The name of the man who was found dead was John Rome, known amongst his companions by the nickname "Jack pad."  These persons, it appears, after spending the evening at several public-houses at the lower end of Friargate, went out together with the design of killing game in the woods about Salwick. Having proceeded about a hundred yards upon Preston March, some of the party began to be a little noisy, upon which Middleton pushed his gun against the back of Rome, telling him at the same time to hold his noise.  The action caused the gun to go off, and the entire contents passed into the body of the deceased.  The greatest consternation instantly seized the whole gang, and finding that their companion was dead, they all fled in different directions, scarcely knowing what course they took.  An inquest was held, when a verdict of Accidental Death was returned. - Manchester Mercury.


Carmarthen Journal, 13 February 1829

CAUTION TO PARENTS AND NURSES. - On Wednesday morning, Jane Ann Gamell and Jesse Gamell, twin children, aged six months each, daughters of Mrs. Gamell, the landlady of the Red Lion public-house in Church street, were found dead in bed, whilst their mother and a nurse were lying by their side.  As they had not previously been indisposed, various rumours were afloat, and Mr. Gamell, for his satisfaction, desired that a coroner's inquest should be held.  An inquisition was accordingly taken on Thursday: and after the examination of witnesses, and Mr. Sinclair and Mr. M'Gowan, surgeons, the jury found a verdict that the children died by being covered over too closely with the bed-clothes, thereby causing a suspension of respiration. - Manchester paper.


The Cambrian, 16 May 1829

   The inquest on the six persons killed by the military at Rochdale on Tuesday last, terminated on Saturday; when the jury, after a long  deliberation, returned a verdict of accidental death, as to the child, Abel Stott, and of justifiable homicide as to the other persons killed.


Carmarthen Journal, 29 May 1829

MELANCHOLY OCCURRENCE. - On Monday week, four boys, three of whom were brothers, rambled into a wood near Kensal Moor, and falling in with a quantity of Hemlock, which they mistook for wild parsley, they began to eat greedily of it.  On the mistake being discovered, they were attended by a surgeon, who applied the stomach pump; but the eldest, who was fourteen years of age, died the same evening.


Carmarthen Journal, 24 July 1829

SHOCKING AND SINGULAR ACCIDENT. - On Thursday afternoon week, a shocking and rather singular accident took place at a factory, opposite the Bee-Hive public-house, in Jervis-street, Ancoats-lane.  A number of men were employed in hoisting  up into one of the top rooms, which is occupied by Messrs. Barker, several bundles of iron rods of the length of nine or ten yards each.  A bundle had been elevated to the height of five stories, and was in the act of being drawn into the factory, when one of the rods slipped out perpendicularly, and descended upon a young man named James Annan, a cotton spinner, out of work, who had volunteered his assistance in hoisting the bundles.

   The sharp end of the rod entered his shoulder, and passing through his body came out at the back, beneath the shoulder blade, and then struck his leg which it broke in two.  He was immediately carried home to his residence in German-street, where he remains without hope of recovery. - Manchester Mercury.


Carmarthen Journal, 29 May 1829


A woman who lived in a cottage, at Harlywood, in the parish of Horsley, with no other companions than two cats, was missed for a day or two.  On Sunday her house was entered, when she was found dead, and her body partly devoured by her ravenous cats.


The Cambrian, 8 August 1829

MURDERS. - A murder was perpetrated on Thursday morning at a place called Dunald Mill, near Lancaster, which has excited much consternation in that neighbourhood.  The victim is James Dobson, formerly a respectable farmer; and it appears hat on the preceding day he had been employed as a clerk at a s ale of hay near Kellett, a village not far from Dunald Mill, and when it was over he left the place in company with two men, named Towers and Herrod, and the wife of the latter.  Herrod and his wife, however, quitted them at Dunald Mill; and it is supposed that Towers committed the deed soon afterwards. The deceased was found lying on his back, and there were several wounds on his body, which seemed to have been inflicted by a man's clogs by kicking.  A verdict of willful murder has been returned by a Coroner's Jury, who sat upon the body, and a warrant was immediately issued for the apprehension of Towers, who absconded, but has since been apprehended.  Towers has a wife and five children, and it is reported in the neighbourhood that he had a quarrel with the deceased a short time ago, which it is supposed led him to commit the crime.


Carmarthen Journal, 19 September 1829

FOUR MEN KILLED. - A few days since, a most dreadful accident occurred near the bleach-works of Messrs. Horridge and Hulme, at Gravel-hole, two miles on this side of Bolton.  Some men in the employment of that firm were engaged in digging for marl, to be put as manure upon the adjoining fields.  They had undermined the bank to a considerable extent, when the soil above, consisting principally of loose gravel and sand, gave way, and buried the unfortunate men.  One man, who was partially covered, soon extricated himself, and gave an alarm in the works.  Assistance was immediately procured, and two others were got out alive.  Nearly half an hour elapsed, however, before the remaining four were found, and they were then, of course, quite dead.  The following are the names of those who were killed:- Richard Crawshaw, aged 54, has left a family of eight children; John Holden, aged about 40, has left four children; George Holden, brother to the last, aged 22, has left a wife and one child; and Francis Grime, a single man, aged 26. .  .  .   Manchester Courier.


The Cambrian, 26 September 1829

THIRTEEN PERSONS POISONED. - A lamentable and mysterious circumstance has thrown the neighbourhood of Bury, Lancashire, into a state of great consternation.  The Select Vestry of Tottington meet annually to dine from the proceeds of fines made among themselves for non-attendance at the parish meetings.  Thirteen of them met on Friday last at the house of W. Kay, at Nailes Green, and soon after dinner were all taken ill, with a burning heat and fullness as if swelling, and then successively became sick and retched violently.  It was evident they were poisoned.  Mr. James Booth was most affected, and suffered excruciating agony till Saturday, when he died. The others continue seriously ill.

   An inquest was held on Wednesday, but no reporters were admitted, and nothing will be allowed to transpire till the proceedings terminate.  It is strongly rumoured that arsenic was diabolically mixed with the paste of which the puddings were made, and this is so far corroborated on a post mortem examination as to the cause of the death of the deceased; but whether from accident or design remains to be ascertained.  On the body being opened, it was clearly proved by two medical gentlemen that the stomach had been violently acted upon by poison; the inner coat was greatly inflamed; the whole extent of the villous coat of the intestinal canal was more or less affected by the same deleterious substance; and, from the tests applied to the coats of the stomach, and to the water in which the pudding was boiled, the examiners expressed their confidence that his death was occasioned by arsenic.


Carmarthen Journal, 2 October 1829            

MYSTERIOUS CIRCUMSTANCE. - A short time ago, some boys playing upon the summit of one of the hills, a sheepwalk, lying about a mile and a half from Hope, in a line with the village of Derwent, discovered a bone of some size protruding above the sward; upon laying hold of it, it resisted their grasp, and a little farther digging discovered the remains of a male skeleton, which had been originally buried a little more than a foot below the surface.  The skeleton was taken to the church at Hope, where it now lies and conjecture has naturally been busy in the affair.

   That the skeleton is the remains of a murdered person, there seems some reason to believe, as there is no tradition of any one having been buried there, nor could it be the grave of any one who had accidentally died, or committed suicide, as it is not in a bog, and must have been excavated.  The discovery has brought to the recollection of some, the circumstance of Mr. Dyson, of Chesterfield, having 35 years ago  gone to visit his friends in the neighbourhood of Castleton, and of having never since been heard of; but the occurrence will in all probability continue to be a mystery over which time has drawn a veil not to be penetrated by the feeble vision of man. - Sheffield Courant.


The Cambrian, 3 October 1829

   On Saturday evening last, three young women happened to meet together in the house of Jas. Horrocks, in Edgworth.  One of the party, in searching the drawers for some paper to curl her hair with, found a powder wrapped in paper, and mistaking it for cream of tartar or magnesia, tasted it.  Finding it palatable, she induced her companions to taste also; the consequence was, that the whole of the three were suddenly taken ill, and one of them named Crompton, aged 20 years, died on the following morning.  An inquest was held on the body on Tuesday last, and a verdict in accordance with the circumstances was returned. - Bolton Chronicle.



The Cambrian, 3 October 1829.

   On Thursday night, a man named Walton was killed in a pugilistic encounter with a man named Kaye, at Everton, near Liverpool.  He died on the ground, immediately after receiving a heavy blow in the side.  He was in his 28th year, and has left a wife and three children.  Kaye is in custody.


The Cambrian, 3 October 1829

   The verdict on James Booth, one of the Select Vestry poisoned at Tottington, was, That he deceased came to his death by eating pudding containing arsenic, but how or by what means it got into the pudding it is not possible to ascertain.  Little doubt, however, is entertained that the poison was put there intentionally for the purpose of destroying the whole Vestry !


Carmarthen Journal, 11 November 1829

DISCOVERY OF THE BODY OF MR. ADAM BARRETT.  - The body of this gentleman, hose mysterious absence from home we noticed last week, was found floating upon the Water in a bench of the Rochdale Canal between Union-street, New Islington, and the drawbridge, in Jersey-street, Manchester, by some boatmen, on Saturday morning about eleven o'clock.  As he deceased was seen in a stat of intoxication, in Manchester, on the evening of his leaving home, little doubt can be entertained, but that he mistook his way and fell into the canal; and this supposition is materially strengthened by the facts which came out before the coroner's inquest, that when taken out of the water there was found in his pockets a purse contain 35 pounds in gold and silver, also a receipt for 40 pounds, and other articles.

   The surgeon who examined the body, Mr. H. Ollier, of Manchester, deposed that there were no marks of external violence on the body, except a few bruises, and he had no doubt his death was occasioned by suffocation and drowning.  The jury returned a verdict - Found drowned in the Rochdale Canal in Manchester. .  .  .   [See Cheshire.]


The Cambrian, 28 November 1829

DREADFUL OCCURRENCE. - On Tuesday night, a young man of the name of Foster, whose parents keep a fruit shop on Long Millgate, in Manchester, was shot by a Mr. Thos. Burne, a commission agent and silkman, also residing there, in the course of a squabble at Sallord Fair.

   An inquest was held on Thursday before Mr. Milne, the coroner, to inquire into the circumstances, and the result is a verdict of willful murder against Burne, who stands committed to take his trial for the offence at the next assizes for the county. The following statement embraces the substance of the depositions:-

   On the evening in question Mr. Burne and his friend, Mr. Harrison, were standing in front of a booth for the exhibition of a species of dramatic performances, belonging to an itinerant player named Holloway.  While they were standing there the latter left his companions to go after a female; and in going away he chanced to put a white handkerchief, which he had in his hand under his left arm.  A young man, mistaking the appearance of the handkerchief, or wishing to indulge in a sally of sport, observed aloud that "the gentleman had a hole in is coat."  Mr. Burne, on hearing this, told the young man that he spoke what was false, and to mind his own business.  This caustic reply excited others of the party who were standing round to play off some other jokes of a similar sort, and one of them won the applause of the bystanders by observing that "if the gentleman had no holes in his coat he could not put it on."  The merriment and raillery of the crowd seems to have stung the offended feelings of Mr. Burne, and he pulled out a pistol and presented it.  Some of those around were loud in their expressions of indignation that any one should dare to carry fire-arms in the fair, and proposed to wrest he pistol from Mr. Burne's hand, while others contented themselves by continuing their provoking taunts.  At this moment the deceased was attracted to the crowd, and seeing Mr. Burne with a pistol in his hand, he cautioned him not to be so foolish as to fire it.  M. Burne, who wrath appears by this time to have been raised to the highest pitch, angrily exclaimed, "Sir, I'll shoot you!" and at the same instant discharged it at the unfortunate young man.,

   The ball grazed the face of a person named Smith, a wheelwright, carrying away part of the flesh, and then entered the head of Foster.  The latter immediately fell, and was carried into the Crown Inn; and a surgeon, whose house is in the neighbourhood, was forthwith called in, but the young man died in about a quarter of an hour. M. Burne was immediately scored by the persons who had witnessed the scene, and delivered into the custody of M. Lavender, who was sent for from the police-office. After the evidence had been gone through, he Coroner caused the accused to be brought into the room, and informed him of the verdict.  He appeared excessively dejected, and in reply to the communication of the Coroner, he merely stated that he should reserve what he had to say to a future opportunity.  He is a young man it is stated of amiable disposition, but of an uncommonly irritable temper.  He was much respected by a large circle of friends, amongst whom the present occurrence has excited the greatest surprise and regret.


Carmarthen Journal, 9 January 1830

LAMENTABLE CIRCUMSTANCE. - An old man, upwards of 80 years of age, who resided at Southport, having some little distance to go after dark, on Monday se'nnight, became bewildered, in crossing some past grounds, not far from his own house, and was found dead the next morning, having perished through the effects of severe cold. - Preston Chronicle.


Carmarthen Journal, 15 January 1830

   A fatal accident, of a singular and very distressing kind, happened on Saturday last, to the wife of a small shop keeper in Alum-street, Great Ancoats-street.  Being the day after New Year's day, she had been distributing glasses of spirits amongst her customers, and probably not entirely forgetting herself in the distribution.  Having placed two bottles of rum in a dark cupboard, she went thither for the purpose of taking a draught, but, by mistake, had hold of a bottle of oil of vitriol, which stood in the same place, and was used for the purpose of cleaning copper utensils.  Of this she frank so freely as to cause her death on the following day.  An inquest was held on the body on Tuesday, when the jury returned a verdict of "Died by incautiously drinking oil of vitriol instead of rum." - Manchester Guardian.


Carmarthen Journal, 22 January 1830

   On Sunday evening last, a respectable man named Haines, attended the Roman Catholic Chapel in Manchester, and while kneeling in his pew, was overtaken by death.  As he remained in that position longer than usual, some persons attempted to lift him up.; but he was a corpse.


Carmarthen Journal, 4 June 1830

   On Saturday last an inquest was held at Rumworth, on the body of a man named Isaac Holme, who had died in consequence of drinking an extensive quantity of rum and mlk. 

   On Monday inquests were also held in this town on two men, named James Brierly and William Smith, both of whom had died from Excessive drinking.  In each case a verdict to that effect was returned. - Manchester Courier.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 4 June 1830

DREADFUL MURDER AT MANCHESTER. -  A very strong sensation was created in Manchester, on Friday se'nnight, by the shocking and wanton murder of Mf. Charles Robinson, a young gentleman about 25 years of age, (the only son of Mr. Robinson, wine-merchant, in Exchange-street, and brother to Mrs. Palin, of Chester), which took place in Oxford road on the previous evening.  It appears that about twenty minutes past ten o'clock, Mr. Robinson was on his way from  Cavendish-street, Charlton Bow, to Platt, where his father resides; and when he arrived at that part of the road where there are no houses, between Arlington Place and the end of Burlington-street, he saw a man sitting on the rails which separates the footpath from the adjoining field, but who, on his approach, stepped into the middle of the footpath, obviously for the purpose of stopping him.  The man, then held his hand towards Mr. Robinson, and demanded his money.  Mr. Robinson, whose sight was a little defective, observed that the man held something in his hand, but could not distinctly see what it was; he therefore hastily exclaimed, "What are you going to do? What have you got in your hand?"  He had no sooner uttered these words than the fellow discharged a pistol, the ball from which entered Mr. Robinson's body, below the breast bone, carrying with it one of the buttons of the waistcoat.  He then, without saying another word, or making the slightest attempt to plunder his victim, sprang over the fence, and ran off across the fields towards Plymouth Grove.  Mr. Robinson, feeling himself wounded, immediately turned back, with the intention of proceeding to the house of his brother-in-law.  Notwithstanding the mortal nature of the wound he had received, the unfortunate young man walked as far as the end of Grosvenor-street, which is fully half a mile from the place where he was shot.  Then, finding his strength fail him, he communicated his situation to two men, who, at his request, conveyed him to Mr. Partington's house. There he was immediately put to bed, and the wound examined by Mr. Partington, who saw at once the hopeless nature of the case.  After suffering the greatest agony from his wound, he expired on Friday.  A reward of 500 Pounds has been offered for the apprehension of the murderer.


The Cambrian, 12 June 1830

   Three floors of a warehouse built over the Goree Piazzas, Liverpool, fell in on Tuesday evening, with a tremendous crash, in consequence of heir being over-laden with corn.  A woman far advanced in pregnancy with a young child, were buried beneath the ruins, and wee no discovered until the following Thursday morning.


Carmarthen Journal, 18 June 1830

MURDER AT MANCHESTER. - On Thursday week, a savage and diabolical murder was committed at the Death of Nelson public house, in Oldham Road, Manchester.  A quarrel arose among a number of men who were drinking together, and one of them,  a warp dresser named Marshall, went into another room to avoid the disturbance.  Several of the wretches followed, him, however, and having knocked him off the form upon which he was sitting, one of them, a fellow named Tanner, got upon a table, from which he leaped upon the breast of the unfortunate man as he lay upon the ground.  After receiving this brutal violence Marshall never stirred, and on being raised from the ground he was found to be quite dead.  The landlady of the house, upon finding what had taken place, made an attempt to secure Tanner, but he was rescued from her by his companions, and effected his escape.  As he is well known, however, to the police, we hope he will not remain long at large.  An inquest was held on the body of the unfortunate man, and a verdict of Wilful Murder returned against Tanner, as principal, and two of his companions as accessories. - A reward has been offered for their apprehension.


Carmarthen Journal, 16 July 1830

ECCENTRIC CHARACTER. -A coronor's inquest was held on Thursday last, at the Whitster's Arms, Strangeways, on the body of an old woman named Ann Corry, whose life has exhibited one of the strangest instances of eccentricity we recollect to have heard of.  She has for a number of years lived in a small cottage of her own at Cheetwood.  How she became possessed of it is not very accurately known.  She got her living by washing for people in the town; and was known by the familiar appellation of "Rosy-cheeked Nancy," from the very clear and fresh complexion she exhibited.  She had no family, never having been married.  She, however, entertained about a dozen cats, and the interior arrangement of her house was kept a mystery; for, save herself and her cats, no living thing was known ever to enter it. 

   Since the last winter she has declined much in health, and one day lately she asked a neighbour if it were true that if a corpse were in a house cats would east it.  On being told that such a thing had been known, she replied, that she would take care that she would turn her's out; and every night since she has done so.  On Tuesday morning the neighbours were somewhat surprise to see all her cats congregating about her door, and mewing loudly to get in for their breakfast.  A joiner tried to force the door; but not being able to accomplish it, a woman was put through some broken squares in the window.  She unfastened the door, and on the parties going up stairs the unfortunate woman was found sitting upon a couch chair, which had served her for a bed, in a crouching position, and quite dead.

   After due attention had been paid to the corpse, the constable searched the house carefully over, as it was reported amongst the neighbours that she must have been possessed of a good deal of money.  Partly in a cupboard and partly in a box they found a guinea, a half guinea, six half crowns, and a five shilling token, but no other money.  Being, from her appearance, nearly sixty years of age, her having so fine a complexion appeared very extraordinary; the mystery, however, was now cleared up; for on washing her face, the fine bloom, which even in death, her face exhibited, disappeared at once; and in various parts of the house were found papers of rouge and cosmetics for the skin.  A great deal of good wearing apparel was found, though she was always dressed very ill.  A variety of love letters were found of an old date, and several other circumstances, giving the deceased the character of an extraordinarily eccentric old woman.  The jury returned a verdict of Died by the visitation of God. - Manchester Guardian.


Carmarthen Journal, 20 August 1830

   A few days ago, a boy, the son of a poor woman residing in a cellar in Norton-street, Liverpool, was drowned whilst bathing in the river, and the body was recovered on Friday week, much mutilated, great part of the face being eaten away.  The mother being sent for, for the purpose of indemnifying the body, left homer before the commencement of the storm on that day, leaving an infant in the cradle.  On her return home from the melancholy errand, her feeling s may be better imagined than described on finding the cellar flooded and her infant drowned. - Blackburn Gazette.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 4 September 1830


   James Ferguson, aged 30, was indicted for the manslaughter of Betty Kay, at Bolton, by carless and unskillful treatment. - John Kay, weaver at Bolton, stated that his wife died in childbirth on the morning of the 12th of July.  The prisoner had previously been engaged to deliver her.  On the evening of Sunday the 11th, she was taken in labour, and the prisoner was sent for.  He came, and shortly after she was delivered of a child.  The prisoner said she was going on well.  He went away and did not return until nine o'clock, when he was fresh in liquor; he still said all was going on well.  He again went at six and at nine in the evening, still more intoxicated.  About eleven o'clock witness's wife said she thought she was dying.  The woman died about halo-past two no 'clock the same night.

   Margate Kay, corroborated the statement of he son as to the prisoner's intoxication and neglect. - Mary Longworth, confirmed the testimony of the preceding witness.

   Mr. John Robinson, surgeon at Bolton, stated that he opened the body on Tuesday, in the presence of his brother and three pupils.  Death had been caused by hemorrhage arising from the placehta not having been removed. Mr. Rd. Robinson, brother to the last witness, corroborated his testimony as o the appearance of the body, and the cause of death.

   The prisoner on being called upon for his defence said, that he did his best, and denied that he was at all intoxicated. - Two females were then called, who stated that they had visited the deceased previous to and during her confinement, and that both the deceased and the two first witnesses had expressed themselves perfectly satisfied with the prisoner's professional conduct. - His Lordship, in recapitulating the evidence, desired the jury to consider whether the conduct of the prisoner exhibited such gross and culpable ignorance and w ant of attention as to be the cause of the woman's death. He also desired them to leave out of view the alleged intoxication of the prisoner, as the witnesses for the defence had contradicted the evidence as to that circumstance,

   The jury, after a short consultation, returned a verdict o Guilty, - The Judge, after a few remarks on he neglect and want of skill displayed by the prisoner, sentenced him to six months' imprisonment in Lancaster Castle.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 18 September 1830


DREADFUL ACCIDENT TO MR. HUSKISSON. - OPENING OF THE RAILWAY, MANCHESTER, SEPT. 15. - A most melancholy accident has occurred at the opening of the rail-road, this morning.  Mr. Huskisson, having left the carriage at Newrton, was walking on the line, when he was run down by an engine, and his thigh was several fractured. .  .  .   Globe.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 25 September 1830




Carmarthen Journal, 1 October 1830

HYDROPHOBIA. - From three to four months ago, Miss M'Clure, one of two very respectable young ladies, sisters, who keep a school near the Regent's Bridge, on the Eccles new road, was bitten in the leg by a dog belonging to a neighbour, which was subsequently supposed to be mad, and was consequently destroyed.  Miss M'Clure's wound was cauterized by a surgeon in the neighbourhood, and it healed; and as no symptoms of illness showed themselves, the fears of herself and friends were much alleviated.  On Wednesday afternoon, however, whilst taking her tea, alarming symptoms of hydrophobia began to exhibit themselves. Surgical and medical aid were immediately procured; but notwithstanding every exertion, the disorder rapidly gained ground upon the unfortunate lady, and yesterday about noon she expired, after suffering dreadful agonies. - Manchester Guardian.


The Cambrian, 23 October 1830

ATROCIOUS MURDER. - On Saturday nigh last, about eight o'clock, an atrocious murder, attended with an attempt at robbery, was perpetrated on the road to Tewbrook, near Liverpool.  The gentleman who has lost his life by this act of violence is Mr. Charles Burns, of the firm of M'Gaa and Burns, wine merchants, of that town.  On the above night he was returning along the West Derby road to his house at Tewbrook, when, on arriving opposite the end of Everton-lane, a man rushed from the hedge and presented a pistol at him, at the same time dam ending his money.  M. Burns immediately ran off, on which he villain fired after him, and the ball entering the lower part of his back, passed through the abdomen, inflicting fatal injury to the intestines in its course.

   The unfortunate gentleman, notwithstanding the desperate nature of the wound, succeeded in reaching a neighbouring house, and aid was immediately procured, but unfortunately all attention was unavailing, and he expired on Sunday evening about eight o'clock.  The man by whom this cold-blooded atrocity was committed appears to have remained on the spot for a considerable time after the murder, and to have been accompanied by another individual.  The deceased has left a wife and family.


Carmarthen Journal, 12 November 1830

DEATH FROM STARVATION, - An inquest was held on the body of John Taylor, at Liverpool, last week, and the Jury returned a verdict of Died from ant of he common necessaries of life.

   A woman, named Mary Fowell, strangled her two children as they were asleep in bed, on Monday last.  They were both boys, one six and the other nine years old.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 15 January 1831

   A second murder, committed in the neighbourhood of Manchester, has been discovered.  A short time previous to the 17th of December, his body of a woman named M'Lellan, who had been seen travelling between Bolton and Oldham, was found near Cutler Hill, in the vicinity of Hollinwood.  An inquisition was taken before the coroner, but from the want of other evidence a verdict was returned to the effect that the woman had apparently been starved to death.

   Soon after her interment rumours were circulated that she had been rob bed o a sum of money, that her person had been violated, and that she had afterwards been inhumanly murdered. The men accused of this horrible crime are named Ashton Worrall, Wm. Worrall, and Robert Chanderton, alias Thornley alias Bradshaw.  Two others are in custody.


Carmarthen Journal, 8 April 1831

A PRISONER STARVED TO DEATH. - On the 23rd ult. An inquest was held at Rochdale, on the body of a young man, named Richard Pilling, a pauper in the Wardleworth workhouse.  It appeared that the deceased had been taken to the prison and confined in a solitary cell in which there was no bed, no covering, nor any thing for him to lie down on but a bench of wood of about a yard broad; that he had been confined therein fifteen days., and was discovered by a person (who was appointed to consign another wretched being to the same den) lying naked on the stone floor, which was covered with filth! He was in a dying state, with a portion of his clothes in his mouth, and he had been in that state nearly the whole of his imprisonment.  In consequence of representations made by the person who discovered the unhappy man, he was carried about ten o'clock that night to the workhouse, where he died in ten hours afterwards!  The jury returned a verdict, that he Died from hunger; and in consequence Richard Hargeaves, Elizabeth (otherwise Betty) Burrows, and Hannah Holt, were omitted to Lancaster gaol for manslaughter. -Manchester Herald.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 16 July 1831

BURSTING OF A STEAM-BOILER. - On Thursday night, a dreadful accident occurred from the bursting of a steam-boiler at the works in digress at the new Custom-house, on the site of the Old Dock.  Mr. Tomkinson, the contractor for the steam-work, had caused a new engine of five-horse power to be erected for the purposed of hoisting and lowering the stones into their places.  About the time mentioned several of the men in the works were assembled in the engine-house, opposite the bottom of Pool-lane, anxious to try the strength of the new boiler, but unfortunately, in the hurry of the moment, they omitted or forgot to place the weight on the balance, and whilst they were standing round, thinking that the steam was not at its height, the boiler burst with a tremendous explosion, and blew up the whole building.

   One of the by-standers, named John Price, the overlooker of the labourers in the works, was blown at least 30 yards from the spot, and killed instantaneously.  He last left a pregnant wife and a family of small children. .  .  .  Liverpool Mercury.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 3 September 1831

FATAL SPORTING. - Mr. R. Entwhistle, junior, of Rusholme, while on a shooting expedition with some friends, at Bleasdale. On the 16th ult. was shot through the head by the accidental discharge of one of the barrels of his gun, whilst engaged in loading the other.  He survived only three hours.


Carmarthen Journal, 9 September 1831


A few says since the Rev. D. Jones, of Liverpool, who having occasion to visit the warehouse of Messrs. Gregson, grocers, in Mount Pleasant, fell from the first story into the cellar, which caused his death in less than five hours.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 17 September 1831

FATAL MACHINERY ACCIDENT. - A young man at Mr. Saville's mill, Less-brook, near Manchester, while cleaning the carding-engine, had his hand and one of his arms completely severed from his body, in consequence of the shafts catching his waistcoat.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 8 October 1831

   Another lamentable accident occurred on the  railway, between Avenhambow and the wooden bridge below.  On Saturday, a man named Henry Pimloe, engaged in conducting the wagons up and down the inclined plane, (on which they are drawn by an endless chain, worked by the steam engine  on the crown of the hill), was riding on the chain attached to one of the empty wagons on its descent.  The chain napped, and to save himself from being run down by the descending wagons, which were thus let loose, he sprang  off the rail-road on which he had been riding, but, unluckily, to the rail-way, on the side down which the loaded wagons  were rushing with irresistible force.  He was knocked down by the first of these vehicles, and as ground under I all the way down the declivity to the bridge below, where he was found doubled up in the agonies of death.  He was drawn out, and carried to the top of the hill, where he instantly breathed his last.  Another man was riding on the ascending loaded wagons, and narrowly scalped by leaping off and gaining the side. - Preston Chronicle.


Carmarthen Journal, 21 October 1831

HORRIBLE DEATH. - As a mechanic of the name of Edge, was, on Wednesday se'nnight, employed in the machine shop of Mr. John Mason, of Rochdale, in putting a strap on a drum which was in motion, it slipped from a pulley attached to a machine which it should have turned, and in a moment involving his body, it was dragged round a  strong iron shaft, which was only about eighteen inches  from the upper floor, at every revolution crashing his bones, and lacerating the flesh in a most shocking manner.  At length he fell from the shaft, and it was then found that is ribs, back, arms, legs, and thighs were broken, his skull fractured, and the fingers of both hands were torn away at the knuckle joints.  Of course he was quite dead; and an inquest being held upon the body the day following, a verdict of accidental death was returned.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 3 December 1831

REPORTED MURDER. - A good deal of interest has been excited amongst some of the sporting fraternity in this town, in consequence of a report that Matthew Robinson, the celebrated pugilist, better known among the fancy as Yorkshire Robinson, and who has -lately domiciled himself in Manchester, at the Grapes' Shades, M'Donald's-lane, had killed a man in a brawl in his own house.  The occurrence which led to the man's death took place, we believe, about a fortnight ago, and it was then said that Robinson had given him such a severe wounds upon the head with a table leg, that his life was in danger.  It was afterwards understood, however, that he was in no danger, and strange to say, has since got married.

   The man, however, died in Saturday night or Sunday morning, and his death being attributed to his hurts, the police went on Sunday morning to Robinson's house, and took him into custody, to abide the result of a crooner's inquest, which was held yesterday at the Town Hall Tavern. We have not had an opportunity of ascertaining the precise nature of the evidence adduced on the inquest, but we understand it was clearly proved that the deceased, whose name was Smith, and who possessed but an indifferent character, went to Robinson's house with two or three others, with the avowed purpose of having a quarrel with him; that the party quarreled amongst themselves, and broke off  a able leg; that payment for the damage done was required by Robinson, and reused by the other party, and that while he held the table leg in his hand, he was struck at by Smith and his party, and to defend himself he hit Smith on the head with it.

   On examination of Mr. Hollier, surgeon, and a medical gentleman from London, who chanced to be at Robinson's at the time of the affray, who had each examined the head of the deceased,  I appeared that the blow had caused the man's death, but the circumstances leading to the blow, which, besides other witnesses, the medical gentleman from London gave evidence of, caused the jury to return a verdict of justifiable homicide, and Robinson was of course liberated. - Manchester Herald.


Carmarthen Journal, 30 December 1831

DESTRUCTIVE FIRE IN LIVERPOOL. -a fire more extensive and destructive than any we remember in Liverpool, and which was compared by those who can recollect that event, to great fire of the old Goree warehouses, broke out on Thursday night, in Fenwick-street. .  .  .   On Saturday morning, workmen commenced taking down the walls of he warehouses, and by one o'clock they had leveled them.  The place being thus clear, Mr. Barnwell's porter proceeded to ascertain whether his master's safe was secure.  He was assisted by two others, and they had begun to remove the rubbish from the spot where it was, when the entire wall of the warehouse which had been left standing, and which overlooked the yard behind, suddenly fell in with a dreadful crash, and, melancholy to relate, the unfortunate man was under it.  He was killed on the spot.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 25 February 1832
DEATH FROM DRUNKENNESS. - Last week, an inquisition was held before Mr. Milne, in Manchester, on the body of a Mr. John Besley. The melancholy death of this person should be an awful lesson to drunkards. - It appeared from the evidence on the inquest, that the deceased had drank upwards of thirty glasses of raw run, at a gin vault in Garratt Lane, and had swallowed upwards of thirty raw eggs. As might have been expected, Mr. Besley was taken ill; he was removed to his lodgings near St. James', and surgical assistance afforded him, but in a few days he died.  Various reports were afloat as to the cause of his death, he being, when he was taken home from the gin shop at eleven o'clock at night, without a coat or waistcoat. - Mr. Gordon, the surgeon, who had attended him, opened the head and body, and stated his opinion that the man died from excessive drinking, and not from any violence. The jury brought in a verdict accordingly.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 3 March 1832
  A melancholy accident occurred at Bury on Saturday morning.  Mr. Thomas Fison, brewer, of Calvert-street, was guaging a vat of vinegar, when he slipt in and was drowned.  He has left a widow and nine children.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 3 March 1832
FATAL FIGHT. - On Monday afternoon two men, of the names of Jones and Goodwin (two noted second-rate pugilists), fought a battle in Hood-street, corner of Queen-square, Liverpool.  After a conflict of 55 minutes' duration Goodwin was left on the ground almost without life; he lingered until Friday, when death terminated his sufferings. Jones is in custody. -
  Three men named Jenkinson, Hooke, and Eastham, have been fully committed for trial at Lancaster, for having been concerned in a fight, in which a man named Parkinson was killed on the spot.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 5 May 1832
SHOCKING CRUELTY OF A MOTHER. - On Monday night, the Governess of Royton Workhouse, near Oldham, perceiving Hannah Hilton, one of he inmates, get out of bed and go down stairs, she was induced to keep awake till her return [crease in paper]  the Governess got up, and, on going down to the lower room, beheld, as she thought a log of wood thrown on the fire; in her haste to pull it from the flames, to her astonishment and dismay, she snatched from the fiery element the corpse of a new born infant, known to be Hilton's.   A consciousness of her previous bad conduct, having had two illegitimate children, prompted her to the commission of the inhuman act.  The body was dreadfully scorched, and one of the legs nearly cut off, perhaps in the hellish attempt to consign it to the flames.  The offending female was instantly charged with the crime, and since her apprehension, has admitted her guilt. - Liverpool Mercury.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 9 June 1832
THE "BLACK DAMP" IN COAL MINES. - Friday morning week, John Houghton and his son, both residing at Edge Lane, near Royton, Lancashire, went to their employment in a coal pit at Oldham Edge, belonging to Messrs. Evans and Co.  They had not been in the pit many minutes before the father became unwell, and incapable of moving.  The son tried to remove him, but could not, and feeling himself also becoming overpowered, he hastened to the mouth of the shaft, and ascended.  Two other colliers, named Robt. Lane and Wm. Tetlow, immediately went down to Houghton's assistance, whom they found apparently asleep.  They removed him a few yards, but such was the suffocating influence of the air, hat they were obliged to leave him and provide for their own safety.  They both got into the tub, but at the height of ten yards Lane fell out.  Tetlow endeavoured to put him in again, but failed; he then ascended alone, but when he got to the top he was nearly senseless.
  Three other men went down; they found Lane prostrate at the bottom; hey placed him in the tub, and he was drawn up.  He was then conveyed home, and three surgeons attended him, but from the effect of he noxious air, and some severe bruises on the breast, caused by his fall, he died on the following morning.  The men, after rescuing Lane, turned their attention to Houghton, whom they found as before described.  They removed him, but he died before reaching the top.  He has left a wife and seven children.

The Cambrian, 30 June 1832
Murder. - An atrocious murder has recently occurred at a village called Swinton, a few miles from Manchester.  On Friday morning last, as he labourers of Mr. White, an extensive farmer of the above place, were proceeding to their work, they discovered in the orchard something to all appearances like a person asleep near one of the trees.  On going up to the spot they were horror-struck at finding that it was a human body quite dead, and weltering in blood.  Upon further examination it was discovered to be that of James Parkinson, a young man in the service of Mr. White, who was employed to convey milk to the Manchester market.  The carotid artery was completely severed.
  On inquiry it was ascertained that on the preceding Thursday Parkinson had procured permission to go to Manchester, and he proceeded there with two young woman of his acquaintance.  On arriving at High Leigh, on their way to the race-course, they stopped at a public-house and drank two pints of ale; and while they were drinking, a young man, named Wyche) the son of a wheelwright now in custody (came up to the public-house with his  milk-cart and commenced jeering and laughing at the deceased and female companions.  Parkinson would not brook the ridicule, and words rose high, and ended in a battle between the parties, when Parkinson came off the victor.  It was also ascertained that, after the defeat of Wyche, that person went to his father and brother, and told them that Parkinson had threshed him, and used him very ill.  Old Wyche and his son appeared much chagrined to hear that Parkinson had proved the victor, and enquired where he was to be found.  This was about half-past ten o'clock at night. Brownbill, the master of young Wyche, who was present, said he could be found at his master's (Mr. White's) and volunteered to go with them in search of him.  Accordingly they went to White's; and it appears, from a variety of circumstances, that White was from home.  Parkinson never came home again.
  From the appearance of the wounds the horrid deed is supposed to have been committed with a tool called a gouge, which is a sharp circular chisel.  The Magistrates issued warrants against the two Wyches, father and son, and Anthony Brownbill.  A Coroner's inquest having sat upon the body, a verdict of Wilful Murder was returned against Peter Wyche senior, Peter Wyche, junior, Samuel Wyche, and Anthony Brownbill, the latter as accessory before the fact.  The prisoners being previously in custody, were accordingly committed, under the Coroner's warrant, to take their trial at Lancaster Assizes.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 30 June 1832
On Tuesday se'nnight the town of Salford was visited with a thunder storm. .  .  .  At Walton two men took shelter from the storm under a tree.  One was struck dead, and the other so severely injured as to have little chance of recovery.  .  .  .   [At Liverpool] A child named Bryson was looking out of an attic window, when her side was so dreadfully scorched that her life is despaired of.


Glamorgan Gazette, 9 March 1833
SHOCKING DEATH.  A man named Miller, residing at Liverpool, lately threw a glass of rum on his wife's lap,, and, intending to shew the genuineness of the spirit, applied a lighted candle to her gown, saying, that the spirit  would burn without injuring the gown.  The unfortunate woman's dress was immediately in flames, and notwithstanding every assistance that could be given, she died in a few hours.  The deceased and her husband lived upon most affectionate terms, and he was severely injured in his attempts to repair the effects of his folly.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 6 April 1833
  At the Lancaster Assizes, John Hibbert was put to the bar, charged with the manslaughter of William Horsfall, at Gordon, in that county, on the 14th of December last.  Thirty or forty young men were playing at football, when, without any preconcert between the prisoner and the deceased, a person of the name of Barnes proposed that the prisoner should fight Horsfall for 1s.  Horsfall was not then present, and the prisoner, according to some of the witnesses, did not appear "over willing."  Horsfall was, however, fetched up, when the prisoner said he would not fight for money, but he would not take as blow from any man.  The partied stripped and set to.  It was what is called Lancashire an up-and-down fight, in which the parties not only striker each other down with their fists, but also wrestle and kick each other in the most brutal manner.  In about four minutes the deceased got upon his knees, and held up his hand, to signify that he would not fight longer; and just at that time the prisoner gave him a kick in the lower part of his body.  The deceased went home and got in bed; in the next evening he died.  The body was opened, and it was discovered that part of the small intestines was ruptured; the jury returned a verdict of Guilty.  His Lordship said he regretted that Barnes was not in custody; it was a great mistake to let him escape who had been the cause of the mischief, and was as guilty in the eye of the law as the man who struck the blow.  He wished the people of Lancashire to understand that these brutal up-and-down kicking fights must be prevented.  The loss of human life occasioned by them was extremely distressing, and the present state of the calendar showed that it would probably be necessary to make some serious example to deter others in future from such practices.  He should not sentence the prisoner until he had well weighed and considered the case.

Cambrian, 13 April 1833
DREADFUL MURDER AT MANCHESTER. - A shocking murder was committed on Tuesday near Ancot's-lane, Manchester, by a man named Thomas Paling, on the body of a lodger of his, named Armstrong.  It appeared that the accused party was jealous of Armstrong and his wife, and going home on Tuesday he detected them in some familiarities, and immediately ran to the lock-up in Bagal-street, and asked Livingston, the officer, to fetch Armstrong put of the house, and take him into custody, otherwise he threatened to go back and murder him. Livingston treated Paling with indifference, and refused to go and interfere, upon which the accused returned to his homer, and meeting with Armstrong he plunged a large knife into his side, from the effects of which he almost immediately died.  Paling, when the deed was done, exclaimed to the officers, "Now you may take me, for I have done for the b-------." He was immediately taken to the New Bailey, to await the Coroner's Inquest.  It is said that Paling was intoxicated at the time he committed the murder. [Also Glamorgan Gazette, 13 April: The wounded man staggered and fell, and his death must have been instantaneous, as by the single blow inflicted on him, the carotid artery, the jugular vein, and the wind-pipe, were all severed.  .  . The prisoner is about 40 years of age.]

Monmouthshire Merlin, 4 May 1833
  A deliberate murder was committed at Salford, on Wednesday evening, by a private in the 85th regiment of Foot, who, in revenge for having been put in confinement, through the instrumentality of a corporal, Daniel Maggs, placed his loaded musket against the breast of the latter, and shot him dead.  Roach has been committed to Lancaster gaol on a charge of wilful murder.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 22 June 1833
ACCIDENT ON THE MERSEY. - Yesterday morning, about four o'clock, a boat, containing eight men, who lived in Toxteth Park, and were taking an early excursion, was upset.  The man on watch on the deck of the Vixen revenue cutter saw the accident.  He instantly called up the remainder of the crew, who were asleep in their hammocks, and they, with merely their shirts ob, rowed the cutter's boat towards the men who were struggling in the water.  Five they succeeded in getting into the boat, two of whom were in a state of insensibility; the remaining three out of the eight were unfortunately drowned. - Liverpool Albion.

Glamorgan Gazette, 19 October 1833
  SHOCKING MURDER AT BOLTON. - On Friday morning, a little before eleven o'clock, whilst that portion of the 35th regiment now stationed in Bolton, were on parade in the barracks-yard, as private named John Wilson was picked out of the ranks and ordered into the guard-house for being drunk; but he had no sooner arrived than he deliberately levelled his piece, which was loaded with ball, and fired amongst the men on parade; and, dreadful to relate, the ball passed through the intestines of private Edmund Martin, also through the hand of private Thomas Brunston, and lodged in the butt-end of his musket.  Martin only survived two hours; and Wilson is now in the dungeon awaiting the coroner's inquest.  The deceased had been in the regiment 20 years, and would have received his discharge in a few days.  The distance from the guard-house to where Martin was shot is about 15 yards.  It is not known when or where Wilson charged his firelock.

Glamorgan Gazette, 5 October 1833
  CAPTAIN BRADSHAW, R.N., LATE M.P. FOR BRACKLEY.  On Wednesday forenoon last, considerable excitement prevailed in Worsley, in consequence of a report, which proved to be correct, that this gentleman had put a period to his existence buy cutting his throat. - It seems that he had left his residence at Runcorn on Monday, on a visit to his father, Robert Haldane Bradshaw, Esq., at Worlsey Hall, where he arrived on Tuesday afternoon, and that during these two days, in his conversations and actions, he had exhibited various symptoms of mental hallucination. He retired to bed at about eleven o'clock on Tuesday night, apparently quite well, and as he did not make his appearance next morning at the usual hour, as servant went to call him about ten o'clock, and found the door of his chamber fastened inside.  After some delay it was broken open, and the Captain was found lying on the floor with a razor beside him, and his throat cut in the most determined manner, -nearly from ear to ear.  He was about 48 years of age, and has left a widow and four children, two sons and two daughters; they are at present at Runcorn.  .  .  .  -Manchester Guardian.

Monmoutshire Merlin, 7 December 1833
  DREADFUL ACCIDENT AT BURY. - On Wednesday last, an inquest was held at Bury, before the clerk of Mr. Ferrand, the coroner, on the body of Alice Crossley, a widow, who met with a violent death under the following circumstances; - The deceased was employed by Mr. Nicholas Hoyle, woollen manufacturer, as a warper or winder, and worked in the lower story, which is partly below the surface of the ground.  About three o'clock on Monday afternoon, the deceased descended into the excavation, on the outside of the back part of the building, made for the free admission of light, for the purpose of cleaning her window.  While she was so engaged the corners of as fringed worsted shawl were caught by an iron shaft, that runs from the steam-engine, through an aperture in the window, to turn the machinery in the mill, and it instantly drew her neck tightly to the shaft, and whirled her body round with frightful velocity.  A painter, who was working on the outside of a window in the story above, immediately went to her assistance, but in attempting to release her he found he should share her fate if he persevered in his humane efforts.  Unfortunately, he knew not how to stop the engine, and the poor woman was whirled round with every revolution of the shaft, till another person came and effected that object.  The shawl was instantly cut from the shaft, sand she was conveyed to her own residence, where, after a faint sob, she expired.  At the time of the accident the shaft was making sixty revolutions per minute, and as the deceased was of tall stature, and revolving at this speed, her limbs were fractured in a horrible manner.  Verdict - Accidental death.
  The shaft was a round beaten iron one, and the portion which crossed the surface of the part between the engine-house and the mill was boxed off; but from 20 to 24 inches of it, which runs over the above mentioned excavation, was left exposed, and the jury levied a deodand of 6d on the shaft. - Manchester Chronicle.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 7 December 1833
EXTRAORDINARY EXPLOSION OF AN AIR-GUN. - A little before nine o'clock yesterday morning Mr. Taylor, clerk to Messrs. Bowman, Galloway and Co., machine-manufacturers, was sitting at his desk in their counting-house in Great Bridgewater-street, when he heard a loud report resembling that of a gun which burst in discharge.  He immediately ran up stairs, and in a room on the right hand at the head of the stair-case he found the stock of an air-gun, some fragments of the butt, and the forcing pump.  He looked about the room, and not seeing any one, was about to descend the stairs, when he perceived the legs of a man protruding from under a bench at the upper end of a store-rom, opposite to that in which he found the remains of the gun.  On approaching the spot he discovered as man named Edward Simpson, who had been 18 years in the employ of the firm, stretched senseless on the floor, but when medical aid was procured life was found to be quite extinct.  On examination of the body a severe blow was discovered on the pit of the stomach, and the right hand was severed from the wrist, to which it hung by a piece of skin.  The weapon of which the fragments were so widely scattered was an air-gun belonging to Mr. Glasgow, jun., one of the partners of the house, for whom the deceased had been in the habit6 of charging it.  It was capable of containing 200 pressures of atmospheric air, the common charge was 60 pressures; it had been used with a charge of 80 pressures, but no more.  It is supposed that the deceased was charging the gun for his amusement beyond its power, and that his imprudence in the experiment produced the melancholy result.  The body, when found, was lying at the distance of several yards from the spot where the explosion took place, and in a situation the passage to which would describe an angle of above 45 An inquest was held on view of the body in the course of the day, at which the circumstances above detailed transpired, and a verdict was returned of accidental death. - Manchester Chronicle.


The Cambrian, 5 September 1840

   A melancholy accident occurred at Seaforth, near Liverpool, on Wednesday morning last, by which the lives of three young gentlemen were unfortunately sacrificed.  It appears that the pupils of the Rev. Mr. Rawson of that place, proceeded as usual to the shore, a little above the Reservoir, for the purpose of bathing; the young gentleman entered the water at the usual place but unfortunately waded out of their depth, and before the assistants who were present at the time could extricate them, three of the youths were drowned.; their names are Messrs. Bosanquet, Bott, and Rawson, the latter being the son of the Rev. Mr. Rawson, and the second the son of John Bott, Esq., of Coton Hall, Staffordshire. - The bodies were immediately afterwards recovered, but every attempt to restore animation was unavailing. - An inquest has been held on the bodies, and a verdict of accidental death returned.  Mr. Bosanquet was the son of H. A. Bosanquet, Esq., of Osage hall, Southgate, Middlesex.


Glamorgan Gazette, 24 October 1840


   A most cold blooded act of atrocity was committed a few days since by a man named Owen Kehoe, a labourer, in one of the dockyards.  It appeared, according to the evidence adduced at the inquest, that the prisoner and his wife lived upon very bad terms; that the prisoner had struck her with an instrument called a ship scraper, without provocation, and that, after being removed to the Infirmary, the woman died from the effects of the wounds she had received.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 21 November 1840


Nov. 11, suddenly, at Liverpool, of apoplexy, William Wallace Currie, Esq., the first reform Mayor of that borough under the New Municipal Act, and also the biographer of Burns.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 19 December 1840



   On Monday last, J. Bennett (a miner) was killed at Mr. Brocklehurst's lime pity at Ardwick, by an immense stone falling on his head and neck.


Glamorgan Gazette, 26 December 1840


(From a Liverpool Paper.)

   On Tuesday last a melancholy accident took place at Wavertree.  Several boys were amusing themselves with sliding on the pool in that village, and one of them happening to come in contact with another, they both fell, and the ice giving way, they were precipitated into the water.  John Wright, a youth of the age of 16, the eldest brother of one of these boys, immediately went to their assistance, but, in stretching his arms to reach them, lost his balance, and fell in also.  The names of the youths were Thomas Davies, Wm. Wright, and John Wright.

   Davies had a short time before accidentally broken his arm, and had it in a sling at the time.  A young  sailor and old  schoolfellow, named Edward Wilson, who also resides in Wavertree, was on the margin of the lake, and was about to join them, and finding it insecure, he returned, and earnestly besought them by no means to venture towards the middle.  His remonstrances were, however, unavailing.  A considerable number of persons had gathered round the lake, when the elder Wright fell into the water - some of them tall, strong men, who could have rescued the whole of them without personal danger;  but not one of them had manhood enough to go to their assistance, with the honourable exception of the young  sailor, Edward Wilson, who went in the hope of rescuing them.  As soon as he got into the water the whole three clung to him.  He bore them up for some time, and would no doubt have saved them all had he been assisted by a rope, which, however, was not then at hand.  He broke a considerable quantity of the ice, but they, one by one, became exhausted, and dropped their hold of him.  He continued to break more of the ice, and they struggled after him some distance towards the shore, when, lamentable to relate, they one by one, exhausted by cold and exertion, sank to raise no more.  This occur5red about ten minutes after the ice broke.  Poor Wilson, left to struggle for his own life, had now been in the water nearly a quarter of an hour, and continued to work his way, though much benumbed, towards the shore.

   It was seen from the shore that he could at length touch the ground with his feet, but none of the people round the lake came to his assistance, and he might have perished also but for the humane assistance of Thos. Smith, gardener to Mr. Poole, of the neighbourhood, and a youth of the name of John Potter, who came to the spot provided with a rope, which was thrown out to him.  The poor fellow contrived to twist the trope round his waist, and was eventually drawn on shore after being about half an hour in the water.  As might be supposed, he was much exhausted, but, to the surprise of all who were present, he was able to walk home.  The effort, however, was too much for his strength, and when he got in he was unable to speak, and was so much overcome with cold and fatigue that he was put to bed.  On Wednesday he had considerably recovered.

   As soon as it became known that the poor lads were in the water, a boat was kindly sent down to the lake by Mr. Thomas Crossley, of Olive Mount; but it did not arrive at the spot in time to be available.  In about a quarter of an hour after Wilson was got out, the bodies of the deceased were drawn out by grappling irons.

   The parents of the deceased are in respectable, although not affluent circumstances.

   An inquest was held upon the bodies by Mr. John Hayes, the county coroner, a verdict of accidental death was returned.  The following was handed in by the foreman of the jury to the coroner:-

The jury cannot separate without expressing their regret at the apathy and want of humanity exhibited by the by-standers in not endeavouring to rescue the drowning boys; and they are also of opinion that had the country police of the district been active in their duty, and prevented persons from going upon the ice, at a place so dangerous as Wavertree Lake, this deplorable accident might, in all probability, not have happened.

   The young  sailor, Edward Wilson, is an apprentice in the schooner Dora, of 209 tons burthen, the largest in this port.  He had been with the vessel  up the Mediterranean, and latterly at Valparaiso.  An elder brother is also a sailor.  Edward is a fine, intelligent, and modest youth, and though he did not succeed in his humane endeavours to save his old schoolfellows, he did his utmost, at the imminent risk of his own life; and we respectfully recommend him to the consideration of the Humane Society of this town.


Glamorgan Gazette, 26 December 1840


   On Wednesday afternoon week, between the hours of four and five o'clock, a most fearful collision took place on the Lancaster and Preston Railway, between Dock Street and the Maudland (Preston and Wyre) station, about 100 yards from the crossing to the latter place.  It appears  that during the afternoon an old man, about 68 years of age, named Henry Taylor, a labourer on the railway, had been carrying some ballast from near the Maudland Station towards Preston, and, having finished his day's work about half-past four o'clock,  was returning towards the Maudland with his empty waggons.  After he had emptied his last load he was requested by several of the officers to go off the line, as the Fleetwood train was momentarily expected.  He, however, refused to comply with this advice, and said he should be able to get off before the train came up.  He was warned by several persons as to the danger of returning on the rails, but he seemed to pay no attention, and said "he had no doubt he could get off the line before the train came up."  The unfortunate man was, however, destined to pay dear for his temerity.  The train left the Maudland station a few minutes before five o'clock, and had come about 100 yards on the Lancashire line, when the engine suddenly came in contact with the waggons driven by Taylor.  Fortunately the train was proceeding very slowly at the time, not above six miles an hour, otherwise the consequence must have been dreadful in the extreme.  As soon as the collision took place the engineer stopped the engine instantly, when it was ascertained that so far as the engine, carriages, and passengers were concerned, no damage of consequence and no personal injury were sustained.  On walking round the carriages the guard found Henry Taylor ,lying on the railway.  He never spoke, ands was perfectly dead.  His body was completely cut in two, his head being laid in one direction and his feet in another. 

   An inquest was held on the body at the Town Hall on Thursday, when evidence was given which, in substance, was precisely similar to that above.  The  jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death, and expressed an opinion that not the slightest blame could be imputed to the servants of the company.  Several of the principal officers connected with the railway were in attendance  during the investigation.

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School