Skip to Content

Colonial Cases


London Evening Post, 29  July 1760
Extract of a Letter from Portsmouth, dated July 20.
  About three or four Months ago a Scow was cast away at the Back of h isle of Wight, Master's name Bell.  This unfortunate Man being, since the Loss of his Ship, driven to the last Extremity, on Monday Morning last was found hanging in a Cowhouse within two Fields of our Ramparts.  On Sunday Evening the poor Man sold a Handkerchief at a public House, near the Place where he destroyed himself; Part of the Money he paid for some Bread and Cheese, and Beer, which he paid for. And with the Remainder, we suppose, he bought the Rope.  He was a handsome, genteel, well-made, black Man.  He had on when he was cut down a black Coat, black Waistcoat, and black Plush Breeches, black Stockings, and a Gold laced Hat; his Shirt was so dirty, that it must have been worn a Fortnight.  He was seen sauntering near the Place about Four o'Clock that Morning, and between Five and Six he was found hanging.


British Chronicle, 8 April 1779
WINCHESTER, APRIL 3. - Thursday last one of the French prisoners confined in the King's house here, threw himself into a well, and notwithstanding he was soon after taken out, and every method used to recover him, it proved without effect.  A great many of the French here are afflicted with a kind of melancholy, which carries off several of them.


The Times, 17 May 1802
  On Saturday morning, at Winchester, before Mr. Justice LE BLANC was tried a cause, which had excited much attention, that of Lieut. Lutwidge, of his Majesty's ship Resistance, charged by the Coroner's Inquest at Gosport, with the wilful murder of J. Fagan, a sailor.  The Court was crowded as soon as the doors were opened.
  The first witness called was a sailor, who, though the hour was eight in the morning, appeared drunk, and exhibited a striking instance of the character of such men, when they can obtain liquor by being on shore.  Of this man we shall onl say, that his demeanour to the Judge taught us not o expect a very ready obedience to his superiors, when in this condition,  What testimony he gave was, however, similar to that of the other witnesses.
  There were then called three other witnesses, two sailors and a corporal of marines, the substance of whose testimony (for they did not appear to have individually observed the whole transaction) was this -
  They stated, that the Lieutenant was sent on the 6th of January, in the command of the launch, to procure necessary stores for the ship.  It appeared afterwards, from the testimony of the Commander, Capt. Digby, that the ship was destined to the West Indies, and ordered to complete her stores with all possible expedition. In the evening of the 6th, after being employed the whole day in this service, the Lieutenant was preparing to return - much time had been lost in collecting the men, and one had wholly deserted - that the wind was against them, and the tide beginning to make,; and that as short delay would prevent the boat reaching the ship that night.  In fact, it was past seven in the evening, after hard labour of nearly three hours, before they were able to return to the ship, distant not four miles.  All the witnesses proved several of the boat's crew much intoxicated, particularly the deceased, who was described as staggering on the quay before he entered the boat.  
  The deceased had taken possession of an oar, which he was unable to manage, an impeded the stroke of he rest, so that the boat cold make little way.  The Lieutenant sent another man to take the oar, who returned, saying, Fagan would not permit him to have it - the Lieutenant sent him forward again, with orders to take the oar, and called to Fagan to give it to the other,  This order being repeated, and not obeyed, but the unhappy man still persisting that he was fully competent, and would retain the oar, the Lieutenant stepped forward with the tiller of the boat, on which his hand was then placed, and struck on the arm, first the man, who, being commanded to take the oar had not, and then Fagan, first on his arm, and repeating the blow a second time, it fell on his head.  After some further struggle the oar was taken from him and he lay in the bottom of the boat. He was taken on board and died the next morning.
  The Surgeon of the Haslar Hospiial, Mr. Stevenson, was then called, to prove the blow the cause of death, but not knowing whose body he had examined, the judge thought he could not receive the evidence.  Here it was expected that the trial would close:- But the Prisoner and his Counsel, anxious, that after the verdict given before the Coroner, the subject should be fully investigated, admitted the body examined to be that of Fagan. The Judge yet doubting how far he ought to accept an admission from a Prisoner on trial for his life, the Prisoner's Counsel named a witness, whom they had brought, who could prove the body of Fagan to have been carried to the hospital.
  Mr. Neale, Surgeon's Mate of the Resistance, was then called, who proved that he attended the body to the hospital, and delivered it at the dead cell, on the 7th in the morning.  He was not called to the deceased until the morning, when it was too late to render him any assistance.  He reproved the sailors near Fagan for not calling him sooner, - who said, they thought him only drunk, and were therefore unwilling to complain - from the appearance of the body, and  the report of his comrades, witness thought he had died of suffocation or apoplexy from drunkenness.
  Mr. Stevenson was again called, who stated, that from the appearance of the body, particularly about the face and breast, he had at first formed the same conclusion; but being ordered two days after more minutely to examine, he directed a Barber to shave the head, who discovered no injury.  The witness, however, on feeling the head in different parts, observed a small tumour, which he could cover with his finger.  This yielding to pressure, he opened it with the scalpel, and on removing the skin, a fracture, which he described, with a depression of the bone on the brain, appeared, which he thought the cause of death.  Of the cause he could know nothing - a blow, a fall, or any violence might produce it.  Of the degree of violence necessary, he could form no judgment, the external mark was too trifling.  On his cross-examination, he proved that Lieut. Lutwidge attended the whole day on which the Inquest sat, seemingly anxious that the business should be fully investigated.
  The Prisoner then delivered in a defence which stated te facts, not materially differing from the evidence, adding others, which were afterwards proved, and arguing from the whole of his conduct, that he intended nothing more than to compel a drunken man to yield his place to another, who could discharge that duty which the deceased was utterly unable to perform,  This defence produced a very strong sensation in the Court.
  Mr. Sherwood, the Officer on watch,, in the ship when the launch returned, was then called - He proved that the Lieutenant first quitted the boat to deliver a letter on service to the Commanding Officer on boar; that when the other Officers had likewise left the boat, he was told by the Sailors that there was a drunken man in the boat unable to get up the side of he ship - Fagan was then hoisted in, and committed to the care of his messmates, no suggestion being made to him that he had ever received a blow.
  Captain Digby said, that on the 7th he returned on board, when Lieut. Lutwidge was again employed on shore; that hearing a man was suddenly dead, he went to the body, and, while many of the crew were standing round, he sent for the Surgeon's Mate to inspect the body and report.  He came, and afterwards reported that he died of suffocation or apoplexy from drunkenness Captain Digby ordered the body to be sent to the hospital.  On the next day, a Marine being executed in the fleet for mutiny, the crew were assembled to hear the Articles of War read, - That the Article which requires them, if ill-used by any Officer, quietly to make known their complains to the Commander, was read, Captain Digby enlarged on the subject to the crew, assuring them that he would most readily listen to any complaint, and redress it - that while they were obedient to the commands of their Officers, he would take care they were well used.  No complaint was made.  The first suggestion of a blow he heard was from Lieut. Lutwidge himself, who on the Saturday complained to him of reports which prevailed on shore, that a blow he had given was the cause of Fagan's death, and required the Captain to direct enquiries to be made.  Captain Digby called the Surgeon and Surgeon's Mate, who concurred in thinking the thing impossible.   On a Message from the Coroner on Sunday, Lieut. Lutwidge requested leave to attend the Coroner, and went on shore with the witnesses.  The Captain did not attend the Inquest, but he saw Lieut. Lutwidge in the hospital walking before the door, when the Jury were sitting.
  Capt. Digby gave Lieut. Lutwidge the highest character - he had hourly opportunities of observing his conduct to the men.  He was humane and beloved.  He had generally chosen him for detached service in preference to others.  The Captain had on the 6th, when the accident happened, been hikmnself pm shore, and delivered to Lieut. Lutwidge a letter indorsed "on service," which it was his duty to deliver, without delay, to the First Lieutenant on board.  The ship was preparing for service in battle, being under orders for the West Indies.
  Lieut. Park, of Haslar Hospital, proved that Lieut. Lutwidge attended the whole day at the Hospital. - He applied to witness to procure admittance for the witness, and appeared anxious to promote the enquiry.
  Henry Warren, a seaman, proved more distinctly than some of the other witnesses the repeated orders to quit the oar, and the obdurate refusal of the deceased - that after the blows struck he remained on the seat and struggled to retain his oar - that neither himself nor any other, as he believed, apprehended the deceased hurt, or should have called the surgeon.  He spoke likewise to the humane conduct of the prisoner, and the sense of his conduct entertained by the whole ship.
  Sir Thomas Williams, who commanded the Endymion, and under whom the prisoner, Lieut. Lutwidge, served from December, 1797, to July, 1800, said they were in active service the whole time - very competent to speak to his temper and disposition, of which he spoke in the highest terms.  He never had occasion to reprove him but once, and that was from being more mild and indulgent than the nature of the case would admit.  He added, that having taken a valuable prize, he had selected Lieut. Lutwidge to entrust him with the command, and was perfectly satisfied with his conduct.
  Lieut. Austin, who served with him in the Endymion, spoke of him in similar terms - he had daily opportunities of observing him; he was of an excellent disposition; humane and kind to the men, and universally beloved.
  Capt. Bartleman, of the Marines, also of the Endymion, joined in the same testimony - Lieut. Lutwidge was much in his view; -  he had frequently seen him under circumstances sufficient to irritate, but he had always shown an excellent temper.  Constantly on active service, he ever observed him humane, and he was universally beloved by every man and boy in the ship.
Lieut. M'Killup, First Lieutenant of the Resistance, who lived with Lieut. Lutwidge, gave him a similar character - mild and good tempered, as an officer and Gentleman on every occasion.
  Here the Judge asked the Jury if they thought any thing could b added to this head of evidence. He should be unwilling to stop the Defendant's Counsel unless the Jury were satisfied.  The Jury all  declaring themselves perfectly satisfied, the Counsel then said they should abstain from calling other officers of the Resistance, or two of her crew, who were deputed to speak the unanimous sense of the whole ship's company, but begged leave to call one witness to a period, to which the other witnesses could not speak.
  Admiral Dacres then proved that the prisoner was in his shp two years and nine months before he went to the Endymion.  His temper was such that he should as soon have suspected such an accident would happen to himself as to Mr. Lutwidge.  I always (he said) felt a particular regard for him from his good conduct, and have since retained a sincere friendship for him, and received him with pleasure into my family.
  What did equal honor to the prisoner and the witnesses, these gallant men were so agitated in delivering heir testimony, that several of them found it difficult to articulate.  They appeared to speak from the heart.
  The Jury, without hesitation, acquitted the prisoner of Murder; but found him Guilty of Manslaughter, after some little deliberation.  When the Jury said "Guilty of Manslaughter," an involuntary expression of disapprobation escaped from many of the audience, not sufficiently reflecting, that the use of an improper instrument of correction, rendered a verdict wholly acquitting him impossible.
  The Learned Judge in his charge had distinctly stated to the jury, that to constitute the crime of murder, the circumstances must be such as to indicate a malignant disposition.  He said, that every person in authority, master, officer, or father, when he is disobeyed by those under his command, has a right, which the law allows and the state of society required, to employ some degree of force to compel the obedience - but the means employed must not be likely to cause death.  If such an instrument be used in the hurry of the moment, without time to deliberate or make choice of another, and death ensues, the person must suffer for the consequences.  He will not, in such a case, be guilty of murder, but of homicide, to which the law has annexed an appropriate punishment.  In passing sentence, therefore, the learned Judge told the Prisoner that the Jury had, under the circumstances of the case, found him guilty of manslaughter, because when death ensued from sudden provocation, but which is not sufficient to justify the act, the law requires a satisfaction.  He therefore adjudged him to suffer three months imprisonment, and pay a fine of 100l.


The Times, 7 August 1805
  On Monday se'nnight a woman, unknown, was washed ashore near the bathing-machine, on South-Sea Common, at Portsmouth. She appeared very much bruised, which the Coroner's Jury judged was occasioned by her falling into the water. Verdict - Accidental Death.


The Cambrian, 16 August 1807

A dreadful and destructive fire broke out early on Friday morning the 7th, at the house of Mr. Rogers, an opulent farmer, at Cholders, Hants.  The lower part of the house was in flames before an alarm was spread by the maid-servant, who slept in a brew-house on the ground floor.  Mrs. Rogers, who was bedridden, fell a victim to the devouring element, as did also her son; a youth 18 years of age, whose anxiety to save a parent induced him to stop with her until the stair-case fell in with him as he was escaping.


The Cambrian, 17 November 1810

A few days since an Inquest were taken at Portsmouth, on the body of Sarah Crawford, who poured boiling lead down her throat to effect her death!  The Jury returned a verdict of insanity. - The husband of this woman walked into the sea at South Sea Common, last summer, and downed himself!


The Cambrian, 17 November 1810

A few days since an Inquest were taken at Portsmouth, on the body of Sarah Crawford, who poured boiling lead down her throat to effect her death!  The Jury returned a verdict of insanity. - The husband of this woman walked into the sea at South Sea Common, last summer, and downed himself!


The Cambrian, 12 January 1811

 During the gale on Thursday the 27th ult. at Portsmouth, a truly melancholy accident happened to one of the boats of the Hussar frigate, lying at Spithead, which in returning from the shore to the ship, was upset by a violent gust of wind, and two young midshipmen and four seamen all perished.


The Cambrian, 28 August 1813

Early on Saturday se'nnight the body of the Rev. Nicholas Westcombe was found in a lane called Old Gallows-lane, adjoining the city of Winchester, most inhumanly murdered, and robbed of a silver watch, with no maker's name, but supposed to be numbered 1811; as also several other articles of value.  The Gazette of Saturday contains the Prince regent's promise of pardon, on the discovery of the persons concerned in the murder, (except the actual perpetrators,) as also a reward of an hundred pounds from the family of the deceased.  An inquest has been held on the body, and the jury returned a verdict of wilful murder against a soldier of the 103 regiment, of the name of Robert Glasse, who had been in consequence committed to the county gaol.


The Cambrian, 4 September 1813.

   Taunton, the officer, had arrived in town from Winchester, where he had been to enquire into the particulars of the dreadful murder commit red on the person of the rev. Nicholas Westcombe. ... By the depositions of the medical gentlemen, it seems that Mr. Westcombe must have been first struck with an instrument of the head, and afterwards the jugular vein must have been compressed so as to have caused his death.  ...


The Cambrian, 19 September 1818

Murder and Suicide. - A melancholy circumstance occurred on Tuesday evening last, in the town of Southampton, which produced considerable sensation on the neighbourhood where it happened.  Ann Staden, wife of Edward Staden, a labourer, in the employ of Messrs. Saunders, brewers, in a fit of insanity, strangled her only two children, (both fine boys), one seven years if age and the other three; after which she hung herself on the cellar door.  An inquest was held on the following day by Mr. Corfe, coroner, on the above bodies, when after a long string of evidence, particularly that of the surgeon, who had known her some years, it wax clearly proved that the unhappy woman was frequently in  a very low and desponding way - verdict - Destroyed herself and children in a Fit of Insanity. [Details of discovery by husband, and the funeral.]


The Cambrian, 7 November 1818

Horrid Murder. - A Coroner's Inquest was held on Monday and Tuesday last, before Roger Callaway, Esq. Coroner of Portsmouth, on the body of Thomas Huntingford, aged 71, a shipwright in that Dock-yard, who was found dead in his bed, covered with blood, early on the morning of Saturday se'nnight, at his loggings bin orange-street, Portsea. - A verdict of wilful murder was returned against his wife, Sarah Huntingford, aged about 60, who has been consequently committed for trial.


The Cambrian, 13 March 1819

   Sarah Huntingford was tried at the Winchester Assizes, for that she did, on the 24th of Oct. last, at Portsea, kill and murder T. Huntingford, her husband.  The principal witnesses in this case were S. Bateley, Mrs. Jennings, and Mrs. Turnbull, who were examined upon the Coroner's inquest, when the circumstances were fully detailed in this paper.  She was found guilty, and was to be hanged this day.


The Cambrian, 8 April 1820

Fatal Election Fracas.

On Saturday evening last an inquest was held before G. H. Amor, Esq. one of the Coroners of Southampton, on view of the body of Thomas Gutheridge, a young man in the employ of Mr. J. P. Lloyd, of that town, tallow-chandler, who lost his life in consequence of a stone being thrown from the Dolphin gateway, during a fracas which happened at the late election.  It appeared in evidence, that the deceased was standing in company with many others, in front of the Dolphin-inn, in the High-street, during a skirmish which occurred between the electioneering parties, and a large stone striking him on the forehead, rendered him senseless.  He was immediately conveyed to the house of Mr. Maul, surgeon; and on examination his skull was found to be fractured, and a depression of the bone, about an inch and a half above the right eye.  He was taken from thence to his master's house, and went on favourably for some days, when the symptoms became more alarming, which increased till the time of his death. Verdict - That the deceased came to his death from a stone thrown by a person unknown.


North Wales Gazette (Bangor), 21 July 1825

   Lieut. Pullen, R.N. was convicted of Manslaughter at Hants. Assizes, in causing the death of James Reade in an affray with some smugglers at Milton.


The Cambrian, 10 June 1826

   Captain John Maxwell, R.N. died rather suddenly on board the Aurora, on Wednesday, when weighing anchor at Portsmouth, to proceed to Bermuda; he complained of being ill from drinking some claret the day before.


The Cambrian, 5 January 1828

ATROCIOUS MURDERS. - A most dreadful murder was committed on Saturday night last, near Titchfield, Hants, upon a young man named Harmsworth, whose body was discovered on the road side most barbarously mangled.  Severs stabs appeared in various parts of the body, one of his ears was cut off, and the head nearly severed from the trunk.  A knife, which was found lodged in the throat of the deceased, has been identified as having been furnished to a man named Sheppard, a fellow workman, who is in custody on suspicion of being the murderer.   After the most diligent search for the murderer, the following particulars have transpired:-

   The unfortunate young man was of the most sober and inoffensive habits, and worked as a journeyman bricklayer at Gosport.  His master had found it necessary to discharge all his workmen with the exception of the deceased, who, on account of his excellent character, was retained in full work.  It appears that this preference on the part of the master had given rise to the most bitter animosity towards Harmsworth, in the breasts of his fellow-workmen.  On Saturday evening last, they vowed vengeance, and one of them, it has since been discovered, by name Sheppard, followed him from Gosport towards his home near Titchfield, with oaths and imprecations.  He entered a public house on the road, on the night in question, and borrowed a knife for the purpose of eating provisions he had with him, which knife was found lodged in the throat of the deceased, and has been identified by the landlord as the one furnished by him to Sheppard. 

   His hands when he was taken into custody, were found covered with tar; but the surgeon discovered beneath the finger nails remains of blood and gore.  His short sleeves also had just been washed.  The prisoner's agitation was excessive.  The occurrence has occasioned an extraordinary sensation in that part of Hampshire, as the murder seems to have proceeded from a most diabolical spirit of revenge, and a thirst for the blood of the victim. Harmsworth was the son of the gardener of Mr. Purvis, of Blackbrook, near Titchfield, and was much respected by all who knew him.


The Cambrian, 8 August 1829

THE MURDERS AT PORTSMOUTH. - At Winchester Assizes on Thursday, John Stacey, the younger, was placed at the bar, charged with the willful murder of Samuel Langtry, at Portsmouth, on the 1st of March last; and John Stacey, the elder, with feloniously receiving, harbouring, and maintaining him, well knowing that he had been guilty of murder. All the time he indictment was reading, the younger prisoner paid great attention, and when he was asked whether he was guilty or not, he in a very audible voice pleaded "Not Guilty." On being asked if he had any objection to the Jury, he said, in a very firm manner, he did not know any of them.  The trial was then gone into, and the facts adduced for the consideration of the Jury were the same as those already detailed before the magistrates previous to the committal of the prisoner.  In the course of the examination the Judge directed the father to be put back into the dock, and the remainder of the evidence, which implicated him, was not given until the younger prisoner's case was finished, that he might not be prejudiced thereby.    Mr. Justice Burroughs then summed up, and the Jury almost immediately found him Guilty.  He was then removed, and additional evidence given, which proved the crime imputed against the father, against whom the Jury brought in a verdict of Guilty.  Both prisoners were then placed at the bar, and sentenced in the usual form - the son to be executed on Monday and the father to be transported for life.


Carmarthen Journal, 26 February 1830

Dreadful consequences of passion. - An inquest was held on Tuesday last, at Headly, Hants. Before C. B. Longcroft, Esq. Coroner, on view of the body of Wm. Gates, a labourer, whose death had been occasioned under the flowing disastrous circumstance:-

   It appeared that there had been a pigeon shooting match at Headly, on Tuesday his second inst. at which, among many others, were a Mr. Fred. Warn Fitt, of Selborne, and William Bright, a gamekeeper, who were on the outskirts, to shoot at such birds as escaped from the box; hat a dispute arose between Mr. Fitt ad Bright, who had both shot at a bird, as o which as entitled to it, and upon that occasion Bright knocked off Mr. Fitt's hat.  After the pigeon shooting was over, the party went to the public house, and, in conversation about what had taken place in the field, M. Fitt said, "Bright should never have had the bird if my gun had been loaded, for I would have shot him first."  Bright soon after entered the room, and seeing Mr. Fitt,  said to him, "Well, Mr. Fitt, are you for war?" to which Mr. Fitt replied, "a duel if you like."

   Bright then left the room to put his gun away, and, returning said to Mr. Fitt, "if you will come out I will see you in two minutes." M. Fitt then stood up with his loaded gun in his hand, and putting his face close to Bright, said, "Here is my face, why don't you hit it?" Upon which Bright slightly wiped his face with his open hand.  Mr. Fitt repeated, in an aggravating manner, "Why don't you hit it?"  Bright then pulled Mr. Fitt's nose, and Mr. F. immediately drew himself back, pointing his gun from his hip at Bright, and saying, "You -------, here is enough for you," instantly discharged the gun. Bright must have at the moment touched the muzzle, for the charge passed close to his arm, and entered the body of poor Gates, who was standing by the fire. Gates lingered in great agony until the following Saturday, when he expired, leaving a widow of five small children, who depended on him for support, to lament his untimely and distressing death. - The Jury, having deliberated for a short time, returned a verdict of Manslaughter against Mr. Fitt, who being present at the inquest, was immediately committed to Winchester gaol by the coroner, to take his trial at the approaching Assizes.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 13 March 1830


WINCHESTER. - Fredrick Warne Fitt, a genteel looking young man, about twenty-two years of age, was indicted for the willful murder of William Gates, at Headley, in his county. The prisoner was also charged, upon the coroner's inquisition, with the crime of manslaughter, in killing and slaying the said W, Gates. .  .  .  Several other witnesses were canine in support of the case; and the jury found the prisoner Guilty of manslaughter, and acquitted him of the capital charge.

   Mr. Justice Bosanquet sentenced the prisoner to twelve months' imprisonment and hard labour.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 22 May 1830

   On Tuesday morning last, Edward Rampton, the Worling postman, was found hanging on a tree in Tangier Park. We have heard of no cause that can be assigned for this act. - Southampton and Isle of Wight Mercury.


Carmarthen Journal, 20 August 1830

SINGULAR DEATH. - Mr. E. Thomas, of Titchfield, returning from Portsdown Fair, fell off the cart on his face, when a tobacco-pipe in his mouth was forced into the fleshy part of his neck, which caused his death shortly afterwards.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 25 September 1830

   On Tuesday an inquest was held at the Crown and Anchor Inn, Southampton, by G. R. Coife, Esq. coroner, on the body of John Clark, Esq. a gentleman residing at Clifton, who received severe injuries by the upsetting of the Celebrity, Bristol coach, at Hill, near the above town, on the 9th of August lat.  It appeared by the evidence of several witnesses, that great blame attached to the coachman (Barnabas Faulkner) who, through carelessness, and want of proper caution, drove against a waggon laden with coals.  It was also proved, that, at the time when the coach came in contact with the waggon, there were at least five or six feet of road to spare.  Mr. Clark was thrown from the coach over a paling, into a garden, and had his knee dislocated, besides receiving severe internal bruises, from which he languished in great misery until Sunday last, when death put an end to his sufferings. - The jury, after a patient investigation of two days, returned a verdict if Manslaughter against Barnabas Faulkner. - The Coroner has issued his warrant for the apprehension of the offender, but as yet he has eluded the vigilance of the officers. - Salisbury Journal.


The Cambrian, 14 May 1831

   We lament having to record the melancholy death of Admiral Sir Joseph Yorke, Captain Young, R.N., Captain Bradby, R.N., and Mr. Chandler, Captain of the Royal Yacht Club, on Stoke's Bay, near Portsmouth, on Thursday last.  The above distinguished individual and friends were sailing in a small yacht in Stoke's Bay on their way to Southampton on Tuesday afternoon, about three o'clock, when a tremendous shower of hail, accompanied with wind, lightning, and thunder, overtook the boat, and the lightning, it is supposed, struck the ill-fated party, for the boat immediately upset, and all four were shortly afterwards found dead and floating on the surface of the water.  The bodies were immediately conveyed to the residence of the unfortunate Captain Bradby, at Hamble, to await the inquest.[Follow  up to this story, Carmarthen Journal, 20 May.]


The Cambrian, 14 May 1831

   An inquest was held on Friday at Hamblerice, on the bodies of Sir Joseph Yorke and Captain Bradby and Young (see p. 1), and a verdict of Accidental death recorded. .  .  . 


The Cambrian, 23 July 1831

   Sidney Taylor, a native of Conwall, who has been following the profession of a quack doctor, stands committed to take his trial at the Hampshire Assizes, under a charge of manslaughter, in consequence of a young woman having died through taking his medicine and advice.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 3 September 1831

   An awful instance of sudden death occurred in the family of Mr. Newman Coote, at Havant.  On Sunday last, as Sarah Long, the housemaid, was sitting at sipper with her fellow-servant, in apparent good health, she was stung by a wasp, which alarmed her so much that she immediately became extremely ill, and complained of a fullness upon her chest.  Mr. Coote, on being called, and thinking she was fainting, carried her to the outer door to give her air, when clinging round him she feebly exclaimed "I shall die! I shall die! And almost immediately expired in his arms.  It was supposed that some vessel or abscess near the heart had burst, and was the cause of her death.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 17 September 1831

MUDER O A CHILD BY ITS FATHER. - It was stated in our last that a boy about nine years of age was found murdered in a ditch at Stockbridge, on Tuesday last. 

   On examining the breast eight or ten small wounds were discovered, as if from swan-shot; one of them, immediately below the sternum, when probed, went directly into the chest.

   The father, a ship-carpenter, named Wm. Waters, in an agony of horror, has confessed that he was the perpetrator of the horrid deed; that in the fatal field where the hapless boy was found he, without cause or irritation, but, as he says, impelled by the devil, struck the child a blow on the forehead with the butt end of a fork, and afterwards stabbed him repeatedly in the breast.  The unfortunate victim fell without a groan, and, in the words of the father, "died like a lamb."  His recollection from that instant forsook him, and, like the first murdered, he wandered forth in misery and despair, not knowing where to lay his head.  Since his apprehension he fills his cell and the neighbourhood with the most piecing cries of despair, remorse, and agony. - New North Briton.


Carmarthen Journal, 23 December 1831

FATAL ENCOUNER WITH POACHERS. - It is this week our painful duty to record the assassination of a young and industrious man, arising out of those midnight trespasses in search of game, the pursuit of which has so long tended to demoralize and deprave the minds of the rural population, and cause an obduracy of feeling that enders them indifferent to the consequences which may ensue from their lawless proceedings.  We had thought these demeanours at an end, - we had flattered ourselves the passing of the Game Bill by the legislature would have effectually stopped any thing like organized bands of poachers. 

   For several nights past a banditti of desperadoes (sometimes amounting to 245, and all bearing arms) have congregated in the vicinity of the preserves of the Duke of Wellington, at Strathfieldsay and Turgis, and committed their nocturnal depredations with impunity.  On Friday night, as we are informed, they mustered at a small beer-house near Sherfield-reen, to the number of 15 or 16, and proceeded from thence to his Grace's preserves, where about eleven o'clock they came up with the keepers. A dreadful conflict ensued, and the keepers and their assistants (only six in number, and some of them unarmed) were overpowered, and thought it prudent to retire and procure greater assistance.  In this affray, one of the assistant-keepers, named John Woolford, was shot in the groin, and being left on the spot, bled o death.

   Our informant states, that the poor fellow was not found till day-light, when he appeared to have been dad some time.  The poachers made their escape, but the whole neighbourhood being alarmed, an active pursuit was commenced, and through the exertions of Captain Bown, of Pimpledown, and other gentlemen, the greater part have since been captured. 

   We have since ascertained that eight of the ruffians have been committed for the murder, by C. S. Lefevre, Esq. to take their trials at the next Hampshire Assize. - Reading Paper.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 7 January 1832
FATAL CONSEQUENCE OF DRINKING. - A murder was committed at Portsmouth on Tuesday last, which was entirely produced by the use of those destructive spirits so much in use among the lower orders of society.  The circumstances of the case are as follow:-
     The man, Randall, a shoemaker, and his wife, occupied a small tenement in a court in St. James's-street, Portsea, and having been more or less drunk on the three days preceding Tuesday, invited two or three friends to partake of their Christmas cheer.  After the parties had drunk a quantity of spirits, they broke up.  In less than four minutes after, one of the party, being Randall's neighbour, heard a slight noise in the house, and immediately saw Randall issue from the door, exclaiming "that he had done the job - she is in doors, go and look at her. The neighbour went in, and found the wretched man's unfortunate wife lying at the bottom of the stairs, with the blood issuing in a large stream from a wound inflicted behind the ear with a shoemaker's paring knife.  The unfortunate woman expired in twenty minutes after, and the husband, who was still at large, raving about like a madman in front of the house, was immediately taken up, and conveyed to the gaol, where he is now confined, preparatory to his being conveyed to Winchester to take his trial, on the warrant of the Coroner, for the willful murder of his wife E. Randall.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 21 January 1832
  On Saturday last a gentleman named Haselip was riding a fine horse, in Fareham, when the animal became restive and threw his rider.  The horse started off at full speed, and came in contact with a man named Harris, who was on the hind boot of the Express coach from Gosport to London, which was standing at a public-house.  The horse struck the man on the head with such force that it drove the iron handle which is fixed near the hind boot of the coach into his head, and he fell dead upon the spot.
  Two gentlemen being on the coach at the time the accident occurred, they rendered every assistance, and helped the remains of the poor fellow into the house.  After a short delay the coach proceeded on its journey to Gosport; when it had proceeded about two miles the gentlemen named Heath (who had assisted in taking Harris into the public-house), asked the coachman to stop, for he wanted to procure a little brandy, as the event he had just witnessed had taken such effect on him, that he could not proceed further with it. The coach stopped, and Mr. Heath getting  down, his great coat hung on the lamp-iron of the coach, and he fell under the wheel, the horses moved on, and the wheels passed over his body and face, which killed him on the spot.
  Thus, in less than half an hour after assisting the corpse into the house, he unfortunately became one himself.  The other gentleman, who witnessed the unfortunate accidents, died on the following Tuesday, from the great depression of spirits which the dreadful event had caused.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 23 March 1833
LAUNCH AT PORTSMOUTH. - FATAL ACCIDENT. - The Camilla steam-packet had been hauled up on Mr. White's patent slip for repair, which being completed, the necessary preparations were made for her launch, and a large assemblage of spectators were present for the purpose of witnessing it.  The capstan was hove round to move the vessel for the purpose of greasing the slip; she was then eased back to the dog-shores, but coming on them with a jerk, they gave way, and the ship started off, carrying everything before it; the capstan flew round violently, the bars were hurled with immense force amongst the spectators, by which two men were killed, and a third severely wounded.  Mr. White and several others were knocked down, and it is surprising that more lives have not been lost.  An inquest was held on Monday, when a deodand of ten shillings on the steam vessel was given in consequence of the neglect in not having men stationed at the capstan.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 4 May 1833
PORTSMOUTH, APRIL 20. - The Sparrow-hawk arrived here on Tuesday, having sailed form Havannah on the 21st ult.  .  .  .   After the guns had been secured and turned fore and aft, the captain of a gun on the larboard side was in the act of adjusting the lock of the gun, which had missed fire during the last round, when it went off instantaneously, the shot passing through a man who was standing immediately before it, then striking against some belaying pins, which turned its direction, passed under the forecastle, where it came in contact with an other man, severing his head completely from his body. The names of the sufferers were James Miller, able seaman, and Edward Parker, supernumary seaman, invalided from his Majesty's ship Racehorse.

Cambrian, 28 September 1833
  Lately, at Winchester, of apoplexy, Mr. Thomas Symmons, traveler for the house of Messrs. Sheppard, clothiers, of Frome.  The deceased was well-known in South Wales, and much esteemed.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 16 November 1833
MURDER- An inquest has been held at Hurstone Tarrant, between Andover and Newbury, on the body of a woman aged 50, who had been travelling as the wife of William Rose, a pedlar well known in the neighbourhood; her death was occasioned from the injuries she received by being beaten with a large stick. The jury without hesitation returned a verdict of Wilful Murder against William Rose, who was immediately committed for trial at the next assizes.  The prisoner appears to be a strong healthy man, of about 70 years of age, and looks like a gipsy.


The Cambrian, 1 February 1840


   On Friday evening an inquest, was held at St. Thomas's Hospital on the body of Wm. Parker, aged 27. - It appeared in evidence that on Tuesday evening last, about six, deceased and some other workman on the line, who were going home to Farnborough, instead of waiting for the proper train, got into two empty waggons, which by their own strength and aided by the high wind they propelled forward at the rate of six miles an hour.  On arriving at Farnborough deceased jumped from one of the waggons, and in so doing his hat fell off, and in trying to receiver it, the waggon struck him and knocked him down, and one of the wheels passed longitudinally up his leg and thigh, breaking the former and severely lacerating the other.  On Monday he was brought to the above Hospital, and amputation was shortly afterwards performed, which he survived only an hour and a half.  Verdict, Accidental Death.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 19 December 1840

SUDDEN DEATH. - We regret to state, that Mr. John Prout, a commercial traveller, staying upon his journey at the Catherine Wheel inn, Andover, was found lifeless in bed shortly after twelve

o'clock on the morning of Monday last.  He appeared in good health the previous evening and was in the society of several friends, with whom he was always cheerful, and appeared in his usual excellent spirits; he was heard breathing at nine in the morning, and must have expired soon after.  An inquest was held by H. Footner, Esq., coroner for the borough, on Tuesday when a verdict of "died by the visitation of God" was returned.  He was a gentleman well known in the Principality, having for many years represented the firm of Messrs. Downes, Son, and Hill, wholesale tea-dealers, London, and was universally respected and esteemed by a large circle of friends. - [Mr. Prout was formerly a resident in Bristol and afterwards took the Christopher Inn, Bath.  A correspondent who was intimately acquainted with Mr. P. described him as a most cheerful companion, and his inimitable powers of mimicry often set the table in a roar.  "Alas, poor Yorick!" it will be long before his friends on the road will see his like again.]

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School