Skip to Content

Colonial Cases


The Observer, 12 February 1797


[The late Mr. Chiswell] ... A coroner's inquest, composed of the principal gentlemen in that corner of the county of Essex, sat on the body a few days since, and, after considerable deliberation, brought in their verdict Lunacy.


The Observer, 11 March 1798

   A fine boy, heir to a very considerable property, was some nights since overlaid by the nurse maid at Hickley, in Essex; the Coroner's Inquest found a verdict. - Accidental death.


The Observer, 8 July 1798

   Some privates of the North Middlesex Militia on Monday bathing in Barking river, one of them who could not swim, perversely ventured into a place greatly beyond his depth; he was in the act of sinking, when a brave comrade plunged in to his relief; but the drowning man catching the other in his arms, they both sunk, and several hours elapsed before their bodies were found.


The Observer, 9 September 1798

COLCHESTER. - A Corporal of the 1st Fencible Cavalry, on Wednesday last shot himself through the body, in consequence of his wife, during his absence at camp, having formed some imprudent connections.


The Observer, 6 January 1799

CHELMSFORD. - ... and on the morning of Christmas Day the infant son of Mrs. Norfolk, of Sardleigh, was frozen to death.


The Observer, 3 March 1799

  At Moulsham, near Chelmsford, an inquest was taken on the body of John Simson, a gardener, who hung himself on Wednesday last.  verdict Lunacy.  An uneasiness in the mind of the deceased had been conspicuous since the loss of an only child.  In the morning he had, however, the appearance of being calm, and went to his usual work in the garden with his assistant, but just before the committal of the act he sent the person of an errand, who, on his return, found his master hanging to a tree.


The Observer, 1 June 1800

   A few days ago S. Simmonds, a lad of about 11 years of age, fell from a lighter in the Maldon river, and was unfortunately drowned.  From the rapidity of the river, the body has not since been found, notwithstanding the most diligent search.


The Observer, 4 July 1802

   On Tuesday ... was committed to Chelmsford gaol, ... J. Head, for striking a man named Knight, a violent blow by which he expired.


The Observer, 10 October 1802

   Monday, as a man named Page was driving a waggon down the hill, near Sible Hedingham, he accidentally slipped down, when the wheels went over him and killed him on the spot.


The Times, 28 July 1806
  John Fisher, the principal, Guy Campbell, John Blakeman, the seconds, were arraigned on the Coroner's Inquest (the Grand Jury having thrown out the bill of indictment) for the murder of HENRY TORRENCE, on the 22nd of March last,  at the parish of Chelmsford.  The parties to this charge were al Officers of the 6th regiment of Foot, and the deceased, Mr. Torrence, was a Lieutenant in the same Regiment, who fell in a duel, as was supposed, with Mr. Fisher.
  The first witness called was Constantine John Day, Assistant Surgeon to the Regiment.  Before he was sworn he begged leave to address the court, which being granted, he said - "My Lord, who-ever were the parties in this unfortunate affair, I am myself so deeply  implicated that I cannot give evidence, consistently with my own safety."
  LORD CHIEF BARON. - "Then certainly, Sir, you cannot be examined to your own accusation."
  Edward Preston deposed, that the deceased, Mr. Torrence, came to his room the evening of the 21st of March, and said that he had that day insulted Lieutenant Fisher, by striking him, and calling him a coward.  The witness endeavoured to allay his irritation, and persuaded him to retract the expression, and make an apology to Mr. Fisher, but he sent for his pistols, and  went away, swearing he would shoot Fisher if he dared to meet him.  He knew nothing of the duel but from report.
  The servant of the deceased was also examined.  He sated, that his master, on the night preceding his death, sent him with a letter to Capt. Cameron and appeared surprized that he brought no answer, for he immediately put on his sword and sash,  apparently in gret agitation, and went out. Just at the door he met Capt. Campbell, and they went away together.  The next morning he heard his master was shot, and he went upon the ground.  He there found him extended, and wounded in the groin.  He said, "Oh, Richard, do not come near me!" that was all he said, for he died in a few minutes after, and did not tell the witness who had done it.
  The Lord CHIEF BARON told the Jury there was no evidence whatever against the prisoners,.  They were accordingly acquitted.


Cambrian, 5 February 1820

Coroner's Inquest. - On Tuesday last, the 25th inst. an inquisition was taken by Mr. Pratt, at Charteris, Isle of Ely, on view of the body of Sarah Triplow, (an infant aged one year and six weeks,) who was shot in her mother's arms as she (the mother) was opening the back door of her house, under the following circumstances:- Two servants of Mr. Dunn, a common brewer, on their return from dinner, on Monday the 17th inst. observed some rooks upon a tree not far from the brewery; John Triplow (father of the deceased) loaded an old gun which was upon the premises, with a small tobacco-pipe-head if gunpowder, and the  same quantity of dust shot, mixed with a few shot of No. 1.  By his desire, Thomas Uffendale went to fire at the rooks, but they took flight.  The two men were upon their return, when they saw a blackbird perched upon a tree, in the midst of a very thick orchard; by Triplow's desire Uffendale shot at the blackbird, but one of the shot entered the head of Triplow's infant, at the extraordinary distance of near an hundred yards from the place where the gun was fired.   This  computed distance appeared so great, that the Coroner ordered the ground to be measured, when it proved to want only four inches of a hundred yards, in a direct line from the spot where the man stood who discharged the gun; the space between was so intersected, with the boughs of trees, that the Coroner and the Jury could not see the door where the mother stood at the time the gun was fired; yet this solitary and ill-fated shot found its way, and entered the left side of the infant's head, passed through the skull, and lodged in the head, as the wound, when probed by Mr. Girling, a surgeon, was more than two inches deep; yet the little innocent languished until the 23d, when it expired. Verdict - Chancemedley. - Chelmsford chronicle.


Cambrian, 18 March 1820


Home Circuit. - Essex Lent Assizes, March 10. - Rosalie Curchod, an interesting female, of great personal beauty, a native of Switzerland, was indicted for the wilful murder of her new born illegitimate child, at Barking, on the 29th December last. ... She left Switzerland, and her friends in England, to whom she was recommended, being apprised of the cause of her removal, placed her at the boarding-school of a lady named Siffkin, at Barking, as French teacher.  There she continued until the 20th of December, when the pains of parturition came on, and she was delivered of a male infant, unknown to the family.  In three days after the dead body was found in a pan in her bed chamber; and after a Coroner's Inquest, she was consigned to the horrors of a dungeon. ... A Surgeon was sent for, and on examining the body of the infant, it was found that the umbilicary cord had been ruptured; and the Counsel said, that the primary question which the Jury had to consider was, whether the child had been born alive. Happy was he to say, that this fact was extremely equivocal. There was no violence visible on the body. ...

   Mr. Moore, a surgeon of Ilford, deposed as follows: In the month of December I was called in to attend the prisoner.  On the 23d of that month I was shown a male child.  I opened it two days after, and I found the lungs healthy: they floated in water.  From that alone I judge that the child was born alive; but this is a very fallacious test - nothing more so.

   The Chief Baron here interposed, and said, that the prisoner must be acquitted.  There was no proof that the child was born alive.

   The Jury immediately found the prisoner - Not Guilty, and also acquitted her of concealing the birth.


Cambrian, 18 May 1822

Died. - Mr. Abraham Barnard, of Smyth's-farm, Great Dunmow, Essex; - permission was obtained to open the body, when the concretion of a great number of fruit-stones was discovered to have been the cause of his death.


The Cambrian, 13 December 1823


   James Mumford, the son of a very respectable farmer at Widdington, a village about four miles from Saffron Walden, in Essex, was returning  home last Monday afternoon, by one of the Walden coaches, which he quitted at Ovendon, as being the nearest point towards his father's house to which the coach approached.  He then had a distance fog two miles to walk, and without delay commenced his ill-fated journey. It was remarked that a man named Pallett rushed out fog the public-house where Mr. Mumford left the coach, upon some person accidentally saying that it was a dark night for Mr. Mumford's walk to Widdington.

   About a quarter after eight o'clock, the unfortunately young man was found about a mile from his father's house , in the middle of the road, most inhumanly murdered.  His head was dreadfully bruised, as if by a club or hedge-stake, so that the features were not recognizable and his throat was partially cut under the chin: his neckerchief having prevented the design, evidently contemplated by the murderer, of severing his windpipe.  Animation was not entirely extinct when he was first discovered, and the person who found him, Mr. John Smith, of Stanstead Mountfitchet, gallopped back to Widdington for lights and assistance.  On his return he met Parrott advancing with the deceased on his shoulders, and though Mr. Smith had not been absent ten minutes, the body had been removed to a considerable distance from the spot wher  the foul act had been committed.

   On being questioned, Pallett said that he knew it was James Mumford, and was carrying him to his father's house.  Several suspicious circumstances seemed to point him out as the murdered.  He is the son of a poor man at Widdington, who attends Mr. Munford sen.'s horses, and had been punished by the deceased for lopping his father's trees, &c. committing other trespasses.  This punishment had generated the most implacable revenge in his mind, and he had been repeatedly heard to say that he would do for young Mumford.  On Pallett being searched, a knife belonging to the wretched victim was found upon him.  Mr. Mumford, when he quitted the coach, was dressed in a  large great coat, which had been stripped off, and hid in an adjoining field.  This may account for the temporary absence of Pallett, supposing him to be the perpetrator of this foul deed, when Mr. Smith found the body. 

   The deceased was about 20, short in stature, and of pleasing gentlemanly appearance. Pallett is tall and athletic, of very indifferent previous character, and has been employed by Mr. Mumford's father almost ever since he was a child.  It is not yet ascertained whether more than one person was concerned in the murder, the ground near the spot shows marks of a great struggle having taken place, and a considerable extent is literally deluged in blood.


   On Saturday the trial of JOHN PALLETT, for the murder of James Mumford, having been appointed to tale place that morning, the Court was crowded at an early hour in every past. ... [Remarks by Mr. Justice Park on the publication  of evidence at Coroners' Inquest.] Details of trial; guilty.]



The Cambrian, 20 December 1823



The Cambrian, 28 October 1826

FATAL AFFRAY. - Intelligence was received by yesterday's post, of an unfortunate rencontre, which took place on the afternoon of Saturday last, at Coggleshall, in Essex, between a man, named Goody, a gamekeeper to Mr. Hanbury, of that place, and a labourer of the name of Horn.  Accotrding to the account communicated in the letter before referred to, it appears that nearly a month back, Horn was detected gathering nuts in a wood on the estate of Mr. Hanbury, and was warned off by the gamekeeper, who also insisted on his leaving the nuts he had gathered behind him.  This Horn refused to do, and the gamekeeper attempted to seize them from him.  Horn resisted, and a battle ensued, which lasted nearly an hour, and terminated in the defeat of the gamekeeper, and the triumphal removal of the nuts in dispute by Horn.  The gamekeeper, it is said, has ever since entertained an ill feeling towards Horn.  On the afternoon of Saturday last, they unfortunately met in a part of Mr. Hanbury's estate, known as Highfields.  Whether Horn was at this time engaged in any illegal act does not exactly appear; but words occurred between the parties, from which they proceeded to blows, and in the course of the scuffle, the gamekeeper drew out a large clasp knife, and with it inflicted a wound on the left side of Horn, which caused immediate death.  The gamekeeper is in custody.


The Cambrian, 28 October 1826

DISTRESSING SUICIDES IN ESSEX. - Two suicides have within these few days past been committed in Essex, the one at Waltham Abbey, and the other at Chingford Green, which from the respectability of the parties, and their rank and connexions in the county, have caused a more than ordinary sensation in the vicinity of those places.

   The first was that of Thomas Augustus Jessopp, Esq. the brother of the Barrister of the same name, who fell by his own hand at the residence of his father, at Farm Hill, near Waltham Abbey.  A coroner's inquest was held, when satisfactory evidence was given by a medical attendant, that the deceased was at time of an unsound state of mind, and  a verdict of Insanity was accordingly returned.

   The other suicide we allude to is that of George Wood, Esq. a young gentleman, 21 years of age, nephew to the solicitor of the same name, who shot himself at Mount Echo, Chingford Green, the seat of his uncle, on Tuesday last.  The inquest has since sat on the remains, on Saturday last, at the King's Head, Chingford Green, before Mr. Codd, in the absence of Mr. Gibson, when the above facts being  established in evidence, and Dr. James, of Croydon, having stated that he has attended the deceased, who was subject to a tendency of blood to the head, a verdict of Insanity was recorded.


The Cambrian, 5 January 1828

SUDDEN DEATHS. - On Christmas Day, a most awful and striking instance of the truth of the words, "In the midst of life we are in death," occurred at Wanington, near Avely, in Essex, in the person of the Rev. Main Wiseman, who had been for many years Curate of those parishes.  The deceased, after having gone through the service of the day, and preached a sermon with somewhat more than his usual energy, had gone to the altar for the purpose of administering the Sacrament.  He had consecrated "the bread," and was proceeding to consecrate "the wine," when, at the instant after he had pronounced the words, "Likewise after supper he took the cup," and was in the act of putting out his hand to reach the chalice, he fell down in front of the table, and without uttering a syllable or a groan, expired.  Medical aid was instantly procured, but it was of no avail. The deceased was upwards of 70 years of age. - An inquest was held on Wednesday morning before Mr. Bartlett, one of the Coroners for the county, when, after hearing evidence, the Jury returned the verdict, Died by the visitation of God.


The Cambrian, 5 Junky 1828

   On the 15th ult. as two young men were waiting outside the Church at Ongar, Essex, for the commencement of divine service, they were struck by lightning and killed !


Carmarthen Journal, 6 March 1829

   Mr. Chaffer, a publican, at Thaxted, was accidentally shot by his brother, a few days since, who was carrying a fowling piece under his arm.  The charge entered the side of the unfortunate man, who is not likely to survive. - Essex Herald.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 3 April 1830


   The unfortunate man who was shot by Captain Moir, of Shellhaven House, having expired on Thursday last, and |Captain Moir having been previously lodged in Barking gaol to await the result of the inquest, the coroner, Mr. Bartlett, summoned a highly respectable jury to hold the inquiry at the George Inn, at Stanford-le-Hope, on Saturday, at twelve o'clock.

   Seventeen gentlemen were sworn on the jury, and the coroner, previous to entering on the case, pointed out the importance of the inquiry, and the necessity of dismissing from their minds any circumstance which had been related out of the court to the prejudice of any party, and to form their opinion only upon the evidence about to be brought forward. 

   It appeared that William Malcolm, the man who was shot, was well known in his trade of fisherman to most of the inhabitants of the neighbourhood, having been accustomed to fish in the place where he met an untimely death for the last 12 years.  Captain Moir was brought in custody from Barking gaol, and remained in an adjoining room during the inquiry.  He is an uncommonly fine man, standing upwards of six feet high, and of a most determined aspect.

   William Dukes sworn - Lived at Wandsworth, and he knew the deceased, with whom he had worked about five days.  Witness, deceased, and his apprentice, left Hammersmith to fish, and on Wednesday, about one o'clock, reached Shellhaven-creek, where he deceased proceeded to lay his nets.  Captain Moir, accompanied by his servant, came towards them with a knife in his hand, and ordered deceased to take up the nets.  Deceased took up the nets directly, making some observations, upon which the Captain said if he was any man he'd give him a good thrashing.  Malcolm threw off his jacket and told him to do it if he could.  Some more words passed.  Captain Moir said he should not go across his meadows again, but should go round by his sea walls.  Malcolm replied sneeringly, he did not mind a  walk, and they then  parted.  Witness and deceased proceeded to Baker's cottage, and changed some fish for potatoes, which deceased carried in a basket.  Remained about an hour and a half at Baker's, and then proceeded towards they boat, which was lying near the creek.  Malcolm was in advance about seven yards, carrying a boat-hook across his shoulder and the potatoes.  H had not proceeded more than a hundred yards, when he perceived captain Moir riding furiously towards tem.  He called out to deceased, "I thought I told you not to come across hose meadows again."  Malcolm said, :I will go."  Upon which Captain Moir rode round to him, and pointing a pistol, immediately fired.  Malcolm immediately dropped the boat-hook, exclaiming, "Oh, Sir, you've broke my arm."  Captain Moir then spoke to witness, and told him if he did not  take the basket and staff off his premises directly, he'd serve him the same. - Witness obeyed, and Captain Moir then rode away, saying he would send a doctor.  Witness assisted Malcolm, who was bleeding dreadfully, to Baker's cottage, and assisted them in staunching the blood.

   By the Rev. Dr. Hogarth - Did not the man advance his boat-hook in a menacing attitude towards Captain Moir?

   The witness in a most positive manner denied this.  No person was near enough to them to hear any conversation that might pass.

   William Grubb lived in Foulness Isle, and was passing along the sea-wall on his day in question, when he observed a person riding full gallop across the marshes; was about thirty yards off at the time; observed Captain Moir turn his horse found and fire at Malcolm.  Was no near enough to hear if any words passed between them.  Did not know Captain Moir, but the person who had he pistol n his hand was a large man.  Witness helped the wounded man to Baker's cottage. The place where Malcolm was shot was a beaten path.  He always considered there was a right of thoroughfare, and had used I frequently.  Malcolm did not move the boat-hook from his shoulder in a threatening manner.

   William Raven was servant to Captain Moir, and went with his master to tee marshes to warn off Malcolm, who was placing his nets in Shellhaven-creek, which runs into the estate of Captain Moir.  His master desired the deceased to remove the nets, or he would destroy them.  The ceased was very abusive.  Deceased then took up his net, and the captain told him if he did not get off his premises he would help him off.  Deceased then stripped to fight.  Captain Moir took no notice of this, and did not appear to be in a passion.  He told the deceased he should not go across his fields, but should go found by the walls.  Witness and he Captain left the creek, and in about half an hour his master came out for his horse.  His master ode towards Malcolm, who was hen coming across he meadows.  Witness was about 300 feet distant.  Saw his master ride before the de cased, and the man advancing.  Saw the pistol fired, and the pole which the deceased carried on his shoulder drop.  His master then came home, and desired witness to go and see if the deceased required his assistance.  Did not know that his master had pistols when he first ordered his horse.

   James B. Dodd was a surgeon at Sanford-le-Hope.  Was sent for on Wednesday, about three o'clock, to attend a man who had been wounded in the arm by a pistol ball.  Went immediately to the cottage of Baker, and observed the deceased sitting near the fire, with his jacket and hand kerchief wrapped round his arm, stained with blood.  Examined it, and found a wound near the joint had been made by a ball which passed completely through.  Advised his immediate removal, and went over to Captain Moir to borrow a horse and cart.  Captain Moir met witness at the gate, and said smilingly, "How do you do, doctor, you see I've chalked you out a job!:"  He asked me to come into his parlour, and he would tell me how it happened. This he did in words near as follows:- The fellow was setting his net in my creek, and I went and told him h should not fish there.  The man said he would not take it up, and I said he should.  I had a knife in my hand, and I swore I would cut it.  The fellow then took it up.  He became very abusive, and I said "Since you choose to be saucy, you shall go back a longer way than you came; you shall go round by the wall, and put foot on my land again at your peril." I then came home, and thinking the fellow would cross my land again, I looked at my pistols, and ordered my horse.  In half an hour he came out of Baker's cottage, and crossed my field.  I got upon my horse, and rode towards him, calling upon him to stop.  The fellow would not, but kept advancing.  I fired at him directly.  T man called out, "You've broke m am," and doped his pole.  I said, "I know it, will you turn back now, because if you don't, you shall have this other in your brains."  And, if he had no turned back, I would have shot him directly.   I told the boy to take up the pole and basket, and move  off my premises, or I'd serve him in the same way.  The boy, frightened enough, did as he was told.  I then rode away, and sung out, "I'll send a doctor to you."  I accusingly sent for you.  My land is my castle, and nobody shall put a foot on it without my leave. 

   Witness here told Captain Moir his object in calling was two-fold - first to borrow a horse and cart, and next to see if he was sober.  "Well, sir," said the captain, "what do you think of me?"  Witness said he was as sober as witness was.  "I was not only sober," returned Capt. Moir, "but as cool as I am at his moment.  Why it was half an hour after I quarreled with the man before I went out to shoot him, and I will do the same tonight, to-morrow, or at time when  I am trespassed upon."  Witness mentioned the subject of expenses on the man's account, and Captain Moir said he would pay any reasonable charge, but it must not be considered in the light of an atonement, for he considered himself justified, and that the man got no more than he richly deserved. 

   The man was then removed, and for some time appeared to be doing favourably.  Drs. Vidall and Robinson, with myself, attended him.  He, however, began to exhibit symptoms of lock-jaw, which rapidly increased, and terminated fatally.  The lock-jaw must have proceeded from the effects of the wound.

   Dr. Robinson was then examined, more as to the treatment, and he was also of opinion that the wound induced lockjaw.

   The coroner then reviewed the evidence, and very ably pointed out the distinction which the law created betwixt murder and manslaughter.  He was afraid, however, that every charitable feeling must be got rid of, from the declaration of Mr. Moir to Mr. Dodd, in which he deliberately avowed that the act was premeditated, and done in cold blood.  The question of justification was for another tribunal, and he would therefore only commend the jury to return such a verdict as would satisfy their consciences and the merits of the case.  The jury, after a short deliberation, brought in a verdict of Wilful Murder.

   The Rev. Dr. Hogarth was in attendance during the examination of the witnesses, and in case another verdict should have been returned, intended to have proceeded to a second examination, upon a charge for maliciously shooting. 

   A curious coincidence occurred with the case of Malcolm.  A gentleman named Lucas had his residence broken into at Hammersmith, and one f the thieves was shot in the arm by his footman.  The man, however, escaped, and was supposed to have taken refuge in Essex.  This caused some mistake till the identity of Malcolm was placed beyond question.

   Captain Moir was then removed to Chelmsford gaol.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 17 July 1830

EDGE TOOLS. - On Tuesday last week, Lieutenant G. B. Love, and a Mr. Patmore, returning from a merry meeting of the tenants of Sir F. Barrington, at Hatfield Broad Oak, and passing a field of mown grass in their way towards the baronet's mansion, the former, in a moment of wantonness, took hold of a scythe, and began cutting with it in a very awkward manner.  Mr. Patmore had proceeded but a few steps, when Lieutenant Love called to him to return, as he had cut himself; and he requested Mr. Patmore to feel his thigh, from which the blood was at the timer gushing in a most frightful manner.  Mr. Patmore, instead of instantly securing the bleeding artery by a ligature above the wound, ran off for a surgeon; but before they got back to the spot, Lieutenant Love was a corpse. 


Monmouthshire Merlin, 7 August 1830


TRIAL OF CAPTAIN MOIR. - This unfortunate man, it will be recollected, was arrested on a charge of murder, in March last.  In the early part of that month, a person named Malcolm, a fisherman, had trespassed, as was alleged, on his grounds at Shellhaven Farm, in the parish of Little Warley.  He was ordered on, and was quitting the grounds - not, however, by the road he was directed to take - when he was ordered to stop, and on refusing, was shot by Captain Moir with a pistol bullet, in the arm. .  .  .   Lord Tenterden, in summing up, left it for the jury's consideration, whether they could say, at the timer of firing, the life of Captain Moir was in danger; his servant had stated that Malcolm was advancing on him, as if he meant to attack him.  The Jury were absent about twenty minutes, when they returned a verdict of guilty of the crime of murder. .  .  . 



Monmouthshire Merlin, 17 September 1831

   It is our painful duty to record the death of the Rev. Thomas Hallum, under circumstances peculiarly awful and impressive.  On the Tuesday preceding the mournful event Mr. Hallum had gone on a visit to his son at Wormingford, and on the Sunday morning he, as usual, attended the church.  As the Rev. Mr. Tufnell was about to leave the vestry, for the reading desk, Mr. Hallum prepared to aid in the solemn services of the day.  He began to read prayers in a manner that struck many of his friends as indicating greater energy than he had lately possessed.  Towards the close of the second collect he was observed to falter; and at the conclusion of it he sunk back upon the seat.  The Rev,. gentleman was led from the desk by Mr. Tufnell into the vestry, where, without any apparent pain, he breathed his last in a few minutes after. - Essex Standard.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 10 March 1832
COACH ACCIDENT. - A most distressing accident occurred at Harlow, Essex, in Friday night about seven o'clock.  The two horse coach, on its way from London to the Green Man, whilst turning a corner within a very short distance of that inn, was upset, and the coachman, John Doye, was killed upon the spot.  Mr. Church, a respectable farmer at Matching, an outside passenger, was taken up in a state of insensibility, and expired at the Green Man next morning. An inquest was held on the bodies, and a verdict in each case of Accidental death, deodand 5s. returned.  

Monmouthshire Merlin, 10 November 1832
A SAVAGE COW, - On the 25th ult. an inquest was held on the body of an infant, whose death was occasioned by an infuriated cow seizing the child by its mouth from the arms of its nurse.  It appeared hat a woman residing at Romford, hearing the screams of the child, rushed upon he animal and rescued the poor little sufferer, who had, however, received, unfortunately, too serious an injury to be recovered. - Colchester Gazette.

The Monmouthshire Merlin, 7 April 1832
  Saturday an inquest was held at Rolls Park, Chigwell, Essex, on the body of William Hall, for the last two years butler in the service of Lady Louisa Harvey. - It appeared in evidence that the deceased, in consequence of some recent irregularities, and within a few days, received notice of his mistress's intention to discharge him. This affected his spirits and apparently his mind.  At least, subsequently, he evinced inconsistencies and eccentricities of conduct.  Monday, about three in the afternoon, just as lady Louisa's carriage had been brought to the door for the purpose of taking out her ladyship, the family were alarmed by the report of a gun proceeding from the pantry.  The door, fastened inside, was forced open, and on entering a most distressing scene presented itself.
  The deceased had fallen backwards in the grate, and his head was lying in the fire; a considerable portion of his shirt was burnt off his back, and his neck and shoulders dreadfully scorched - the corpse presented a most appalling spectacle.  He must have placed the muzzle of the gun in his mouth and then discharged it.  The contents had perforated the vertebrae of the neck and gone out just below the occiput. - The jury returned a verdict of insanity.

The Monmouthshire Merlin, 7 April 1832
  Saturday an inquest was held at Rolls Park, Chigwell, Essex, on the body of William Hall, for the last two years butler in the service of Lady Louisa Harvey. - It appeared in evidence that the deceased, in consequence of some recent irregularities, and within a few days, received notice of his mistress's intention to discharge him. This affected his spirits and apparently his mind.  At least, subsequently, he evinced inconsistencies and eccentricities of conduct.  Monday, about three in the afternoon, just as lady Louisa's carriage had been brought to the door for the purpose of taking out her ladyship, the family were alarmed by the report of a gun proceeding from the pantry.  The door, fastened inside, was forced open, and on entering a most distressing scene presented itself.
  The deceased had fallen backwards in the grate, and his head was lying in the fire; a considerable portion of his shirt was burnt off his back, and his neck and shoulders dreadfully scorched - the corpse presented a most appalling spectacle.  He must have placed the muzzle of the gun in his mouth and then discharged it.  The contents had perforated the vertebrae of the neck and gone out just below the occiput. - The jury returned a verdict of insanity.

The Cambrian, 1 December 1832
MURDER OF A GENTLEMAN BY HIS SON. - A most appalling circumstance occurred at Alresford, about eighteen miles to the north-west of Winchester, which has excited the deepest horror among the inhabitants of that village and the surrounding neighbouhood.  Thomas Bulpett, Esq. an opouent farmer, has been deprived of life by the hands of his own son, a maniac ! The unhappy parricide, who had been the inmate of a lunatic asylum, as a few months since removed home to his family, contrary to the wishes of the keeper, who  expressed a conviction that some dreadful calamity would be the result of his being suffered to go at large, and medical gentlemen foretold similar consequences.  With what fearful veracity their predictions have been verified, the melancholy sequel will show.  On Sunday evening, after supper, the deceased and his son were drinking some spirits and water, when the latter was desirous of replenishing his glass, which the father refusing to permit, he abruptly quitted the room, and soon returned with a loaded gun, and discharged it at his father, who was in the act of unbuttoning his gaiters, preparatory to his retiring for the night.  
  The skull of the unfortunate gentleman was literally blown to atoms.  An inquest was held on the body by Mr. Todd, and the Jury returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased came by his death in consequence of being shot by his son, who was in a state of insanity.  The unhappy young man is now placed under that strict restraint from which he ought not to have been released.  The deceased Mr. Bulpett was 65 years old.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 21 March 1840


   Friday an inquest was held at the Colchester, union-house, on the body of William Pyrke, aged eleven, who died, as supposed, in consequence of the ill-usage of his mother-in-law.  It  was proved that the child slept on piece of rough wood nailed together, in  as lean-to, and that it was found in a horrible state of filth.  Ann King said she had seen Mrs. Pyrke beat the deceased with a broom, and she thought his illness was increased by Ill-usage and starvation.  Deceased had a piece of day-bread given him while Mrs. Pyrke was frying meat for herself and her own children.  Mr. Clark, surgeon, provide that the child was in a diseased state, and that damp bedding, filth, and ill-usage would increase that disease.  If proper medical treatment had been afforded some months back, he thought the child's life might be saved.  The emaciated state of the body might have proceeded from the diseased state of the body.  An exposure to cold and filth would very much increase the disease. The disease of the lungs was not sufficiently advanced to cause immediate death.  Could not say that the treatment the child had received was the cause of death.  Mr. C. E. Blair, surgeon, gave a similar statement as to the disease, and said he thought death was accelerated by the treatment the child had received from its parents.  Other witnesses were examined, being called by Mr. Church on behalf of the mother-in-law, some of whom stated that the father beat the deceased, and that it was he who made him sleep in the kitchen.  The coroner summed up, and the jury, after consulting an hour, returned a verdict of wilful murder against William Pyrke, the father, and Hannah Pyrke, the mother-in-law of the child.  The mother was in custody, and in the evening the father was lodged in gaol. - Essex Herald.

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School