Skip to Content

Colonial Cases


Carmarthen Journal, 7 November 1828

   In Wednesday, a Jew Pedlar, of the age of 23, whose name as discovered to be G. A. Wolfe, whilst travelling through the country, died in a manner adult sudden.  From the report current there is something remarkable in his death; it would appear that he had a prescience of his premature departure from this world.   We understand that he had called at a public house on the road between Durham and Stockton, and drank a glass of ale and that soon after leaving this place, he found himself becoming rather unwell, which induced him to entreat the people of a farm house near the village of Shincliffe, not far from Durham, to allow him to have lodgings, as he was confident, he said, that he had come to die with them.  The people, however, hesitated to grant the poor fellow's request, but in his assuring them that he had sufficient means for defraying any expense he might incur, they ultimately consented to receive him.  Scarcely had the unfortunate Jew got into the house before his illness seriously increased, and notwithstanding medical aid was procured he lingered only a short time.  His box of jewellery was considered to be very valuable.  On his person was found a £5 note.  He stated, during his illness, that he was a native of Italy, but had a brother in London, to whom the surgeon who attended him had written. - Hertford Journal.


Carmarthen Journal, 21 November 1828

HORRID MURDER. - The following particulars of one of the most dreadful acts that has lately occurred in this age of crime, have just reached us:-

   On Monday last, about noon, while an aged farmer of the name of Hutchinson, residing at thorp, near Stockton-on-Tees, and his family were at dinner, one of the sons, who had been occasionally affected with insanity, seized a poker and struck his brother so violent a blow on the head as to deprive him of life instantly.  Having effected this atrocity, he took up a hatchet and struck his father two or three dreadful blows, which he continued to repeat till his head was shattered to pieces, and he fell dead at his feet.  The fury of the murderer was next directed against his brother-in-law, who had attempted to save his father and brother, but who was at length obliged to run out of the house, and escaped with a slight wound.  The servant girl, dreadfully alarmed, attempted also to escape, but the infuriated maniac assured her that he would do her no harm.  He then dressed himself in his brother's clothes and mounted a horse, which he rode to Sedgefield, a distance of five miles, where he regaled himself at a public-house, and then returned towards his father's farm; whole on his way home he was met by the constables, who secured him with some difficulty & after having undergone an examination before the Magistrates, he was committed to gaol at Durham.  The particulars of the inquest we have not heard, nor are we informed of the exciting cause of the fatal paroxysm, except that it arose out of some family dispute about money affairs. - Leeds Mercury.

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School