Skip to Content

Colonial Cases

Minor cases China 1910-1919

The Straits Times, 6 January 1910




   One of the most extraordinary cases which have come before the public in Shanghai was the subject of a criminal trial in the German Consular Court, on December 23, when an officer of the mercantile marine was sentenced to two years' imprisonment for a series of robberies.  The accused was Hermann Witzler, second officer of the steamer Meilee, and as related in court the evidence showed that he had practised thieving in the most systematic manner for the last year.  Dr. Ney and four assessors heard the case.

   It was shown that the accused, who was arrested on November 12, had on three occasions opened the German mail-bags, which the Meilee was carrying between Shanghai and Hankow.  As second officer of the ship Witzler had charge of the mails, and on the first occasion he had opened two letters addressed to the Russo-Chinese Bank in Peking, abstracting $580 from one of them and $420 from the other.  He had then inserted pieces of newspaper and returned them to the mail-bag.

   When the letters arrived at their destination the theft was discovered, but until the arrest of Witzler no trace of the thief could be found.  On another occasion Witzler had opened one of the mail-bags and purloined a Kodak and other photographic apparatus, while a third case occurred when he stole a pair of gold sleeve-links.  His method had evidently been to heat a knife, cur off the seals, and after abstracting the contents of the parcel he gad affixed the sealing-wax once more.

   In addition to the thefts from the mail-bags three other charges were laid agitates Witzler.  One of these was that while a passenger on board the N. D. L.  steamer Goeben he had stolen a pair of field glasses belonging to Det. Sergt. Reeves, of the Municipal police.  The second was the theft of a silver cigarette case from a passenger on board the Meilee, and the third was the appropriation to his own use of a Winchester carbine and revolver, which had been put in his possession while on the Meishun.

   After gearing the evidence the court found Witzler guilty and passed sentences amounting in all to two years' imprisonment.  Witzler is at present confined in the British gaol, but will in all probability be sent to Germany to undergo his sentence.


Los Angeles Herald, 7 February 1910


SHANGHAI, Feb. 6. - The consular body held a meeting some days since and decided to depute the British, German and American mixed court assessors to proceed to the Shanghai city magistrates yamen and demand to be allowed to examine a prisoner there who was kidnapped by the magistrate's runners in the foreign settlement on August 22 in connection with an unimportant land dispute.  He was recently condemned to receive 4000 blows with a bamboo as punishment for invoking the intervention of the municipal authorities.  The relatives of the victim assert that he collapsed after the infliction of 2900 blows, when he was horribly injured and his thighbones were exposed.

The senior consul, in the name of his other colleagues, wrote demanding the immediate release of the prisoner, who was not amenable to Chinese justice unless for a serious crime proved to the satisfaction of the mixed court.  It is noteworthy that although punishment by the bamboo was solemnly abolished as barbarous by imperial edicts of April and October, 1905, the taotai sees nothing unusual in the magistrate's action.

Finally the assessors saw the magistrate, who declined to produce the prisoner in the absence of orders from the taotai.  The assessors announced their intention not to leave the yamen without seeing him.  After remaining for seven hours the assessors saw the prisoner and verifier the brutal treatment which had been illegally inflicted.  The taotai, evidently impressed by the energy and firmness of the consular body, ordered the prisoner to be released on security, which was forthcoming.


Straits Times, 19 April 1910
 In the Danish Consular Court at Shanghai, on April 6, the action at the instance of Mr. Speelman against the East Asiatic Co., with reference to the Woodthorpe Rubber Estate was continued.  It was stated that plaintiff would claim Taels 45,000.


Los Angeles Herald, 7 July 1910


LEAVENWORTH, Kas., July 6.  - President Taft granted a conditional pardon today to Natale Nalis, a Filipino, convicted at the consular court at Shanghai, China, of the murder of a fellow servant in the American consul general's office and sentenced to fifteen years' imprisonment in the federal prison here.

Nalis arrived here a year ago last night.  A condition of the pardon will prevent his ever returning to China.


The Straits Times, 14 December 1910

   In the case of Messrs. Hall and Holtz, Ltd., v. B. Jones in the Consular Court, Hankow, which was to restrain the defendant, Jones, from carrying on the trades of tailor, draper, etc., Mr. Bailey appeared for the plaintiffs and Mr. Front for defendant.  Judgment was given granting an injunction against Jones acting as draper or outfitter's assistant as regards Hankow only till January, 1915, each party to pay their own costs.


The Straits Times, 17 July 1911


   A Frenchman, named V. Dumesnil, was taken into custody by the French Police at Shanghai in rather peculiar circumstances, reports the N. C. D. News.  About two months ago, he first came under the notice of the authorities, being brought before the French Consular court with reference to certain threats which he was alleged to have made against a solicitor who had appeared in a case against him.  At the trial he appeared in a Japanese kimono, and after stopping his ears with his fingers for some time and thus refusing to listen to the proceedings, stated that he was a Japanese.  He then explained that while in Japan he had had an accident and on recovering from it found himself able to talk French.  He was  sentenced to two months' imprisonment, but about a fortnight ago, with about four days of his sentence still to run, he eluded the police but was arrested and sent back to gaol to complete his term.

   It had been decided to deport him, and he was released on giving a promise that he would go aboard the French mail and leave Shanghai.  Nothing was seen of him till night, when he turned up at one of the police stations in the Concession and announced that he had not left.  He was accordingly taken into custody again, and is now in orison pending the decision of the court as to the procedure to be adopted with reference to his case.


Cairns Post, 5 September 1911


   The man Schemmel convicted at Tientsin of engaging in the white slave trade, arrived in Shanghai this morning in charge of the U. S. Marshall.  He will serve his sentence of two months' imprisonment in the American gaol here.


[creased page] of a day's imprisonment was passed at the Mixed Court this morning upon a hawker charged with having offered brandy for sale without a license at No. 110, Yangtzepoo road, and further that he was unable to account for having same in his possession.  A native constable gave evidence that the accused was in the act of selling some of the brandy to a foreign woman.  The accused explained the presence of four bottles of this brandy on the premises by stating that a friend of his had bought ten cases at auction and had asked him to assist in disposing of same.  Sergeant Jones testified that this friend could not be traced.  Sentence as above stated was passed.


   Judgment was given by default against R. A. Ord at H.B.M. Supreme Court this morning, by Mr. F. S. A. Bourne, Acting Judge, in favour of H. Maitland and Charles M. Bain, as joint trustees, to recover possession o the piece of land in Yuenfong road, occupied as the Hongkew Engine Works, by the defendant, and for Tls. 330, arrears of rent, together with costs.    Mr. R. F. S. Gregson, who appeared for the plaintiffs, called Mr. H. Maitland, who stated that he is the co-trustee of the property in Shanghai of the late Mr. Thoroe.  The land occupied by the defendant was let to him under a lease dated 17th April, 1908, at a rental of Tls. 90 a month.  Mr. Bain, the other trustee, was not present in Shanghai, but he had written consenting to these proceedings being brought.  The last rent paid by the defendant was for September, 1910. - The defendant was not present, service of the writ was proved by a Court employee.


The Straits Times, 17 May 1912

   At the Japanese Consular Court, at Shanghai, on April 29, before Mr. T. Okomota, Vice-Consul, Yohji Gato was charged with having kidnapped six girls, ranging in age from 17 to 27, from Japan, for an immoral purpose.  The evidence showed that the accused and the six girls were arrested on Saturday afternoon on board the N. D. L. Steamer Kleist, on which steamer they were trawling to Singapore and Penang without passports.  The accused and the woman were remanded in custody, pending further inquires.


The Straits Times, 8 July 1912

   Evidence in the case of an under steward of the Dutch steamer Tjibodas, who is accused of murdering a Malay steward of the same vessel on the Kaiping wharf, Pootung, was heard in the Netherlands Consular Court, Shanghai, on June 22.  The prisoner admitting killing the other Malay, declaring that the murder was the climax of a long series of quarrels growing out of their relations with a girl in Java.  He said the murder was done in self-defence.  At the conclusion of the hearing the prisoner will be taken to Java for trial.


Sunday Times (Sydney), 20 October 1912


   The first degree of absolute divorce was granted to a Chinese couple in a Shanghai court the other day, when Tsau Kau Sz, aged 27, was freed from her husband, who was ordered to pay her £6 alimony yearly.  The decree of absolute divorce was granted by the American Assessor presiding in the Mixed Port.  Tsau Kau Pan, the husband, stated that Tsau Kau Sz had deserted him and gone to live with her mother.  He saw her on the street, and caused her arrest.  In court the woman said that the complainant had made her life miserable by holding up his mother as a paragon of domesticity, and continually harping upon his wife's failure to boil rice as mother used to boil it.  She ran away, leaving the children behind, and was happy with her mother until she was found by Tsau.  The Court ordered that the defendant should be returned to her parents, and the children be taken in charge by the husband.  In addition, if Tsau failed to pay the stipulated alimony, it would arouse the displeasure of the Court. 

   Hitherto no absolute divorce has been granted in the Mixed Court, though separations have been ordered between complaining parties.


The Straits Times, 8 February 1913

   In the German Consular Court, Shanghai, Captain Jagar of the Hamburg-Amerika Line steamer Furst Bulow was summoned by the Harbour Master for a breach of the Harbour Regulations, by entering the port of Shanghai with 180,000 rounds of ammunition on board his ship, in excess of the regulation allowance.  The captain was cautioned by the Consular Judge, and ordered not to repeat the offence on pain of trial under the German laws.


The Straits Times, 19 May 1913

   The libel case in which Mr. H. O'Shea was plaintiff, and Mr. Giordius Nielsen defendant, was dismissed by the Danish Consular Court, Shanghai.


The Straits Times, 21 July 1913

   On July 5, in the British Consular Court, Tientsin, Mr. King, late commercial manager of the Peking Syndicate, which brought a case of libel against him, was found guilty of contempt of court.  Hurry, who sent letters on the subject and which were published in the London Truth was sentenced to seven days' imprisonment and fined £5.  An appeal has been noted.  King was bailed out in the sum of £50.


Warwick Examiner & Times (Qld.), 18 August 1913


The first Chinese bigamy trial has just taken place (says the "Morning Post" Shanghai correspondent).  A Chinaman [Wu Chan Tse] had married a Chinese woman according to Chinese ritual, and later, when attending Yale University as a student, married an American.  He was prosecuted under the new code before a Mixed Court, consisting of a Chinese magistrate and an American assessor.  The prosecution was instigated by th4 Chinese Woman Suffragists, who employed leading foreign counsel.  The prisoner was found guilty, and sentenced to eighty days' imprisonment.


The Times, 16 January 1914

FREDERICK WILLIAM EDWARDS, deceased, died Shanghai 13 December 1912, estate in China and Hong Kong; PROBATE.


The Singapore Free Press & Mercantile Advertiser, 7 April 1914

  In the German Consular Court at Shanghai, Peter Behrens, head collector in the Shanghai gas company, was sentenced to two months' imprisonment on a charge of embezzling, during 1912 and 1913, $1,030, the monies of his employers.


The Straits Times, 5 August 1914

   The Belgian Consular Court at Shanghai has sentenced Baron Macar, who was connected with the promotion of the British and Belgian Bank of China, to twelve months' imprisonment for false pretences and abuse of confidence, and also to a fine of Francs 8,000 and the deprivation of civil and political rights for ten years.  The President of the court said prisoner could bless the Hongkong Ordinance for the fine opportunities they had afforded his activities.  Prisoner appealed to be sent to Belgium.


Northern Territory Times, 4 February 1915


The extracts referred to were as follows:   Neumann Murder Case.  At the session of the Mixed Court, this morning, further examination of the men accused of the Neumann murder along the lines of the confession one one of them will be made. ... Later: - The eight men concerned in the Neumann murder have been convicted and have been executed by the Chinese authorities.


The Times, 27 April 1915



Albury Banner, 2 July 1915

... Recently placards appeared all over the town of Shanghai inciting people to boycott the Japanese.  The police seized the placards, and one or two offenders have been fined by a mixed court.  The anti-Japanese feeling is reported to be increasing in all the provinces.


The Day (New London, Conn.), 18 October 1915 [Google News Archive.]


Chinese Smuggling Operations in Shanghai Were Clever, but Betrayed.

   SHANGHAI, Oct. 18.  -  Three Chinese have been placed on trial here before a mixed court charged with having in their possession 130 pistols and 20,000 cartridges.  It was testified that a German had delivered to them a consignment of tins, declaring they contained medicine, whereas the tins actually contained the pistols and cartridges in question, and had arranged to have the weapons and ammunition shipped to India, instructing the Chinese to pack them between planks, hewing and piercing the wood in such a manner that a pair of planks would like a single one.

   An inquisitive carpenter, it was testified, divulged the plan.


The Times, 20 April 1916

WALTER FELL, deceased, of Chefoo in North China; PROBATE.


The Sydney Morning Herald, 29 April 1916





   Neilsen had also advised accused not to travel by the steamer Empress of Russia as he had an idea that the ship would meet with disaster.  He had a presentiment that many ships would be blown up.  On one occasion he said that he would be delighted if he could blow up the British Consulate.

   On March 31, at the French Mixed Court, Shanghai, M. de la Prade, the French Assessor, delivered judgment against Liu King-piao, Neilsen's chauffeur, who was charged with complicity in the storing of arms and ammunition, and Miss Emma Weinstock, charged with being in possession of a false French passport.

   After an exhaustive review of the evidence, M. de la Prade found ...   Liu King-piao was sentenced to six months in gaol, and Weinstock to three months in gaol, and to a fine of 2000 dollars.    It was also ordered that both be put under surveillance after serving their respective sentences.


Albury Banner, 31 August 1917


(page 35)

   A severe lesson to newspaper thieves was meted out in the Mixed Court at Shanghai one day recently when a young Chinese, convicted of repeated theft of copies of a newspaper from a business establishment, was sentenced to two years in the reformatory.  Complaint reached the paper's office that for three mornings the paper had not been received.  The circulation department reports showed that it had been delivered as usual.  The next morning therefore two extra men were sent around with the carrier to solve the mystery.  Hiding themselves at a point of vantage they watched a 15-year-old Chinese youth remove the paper from behind the iron grating with the assistance of a split bamboo rod.


Northern Territory Times, 10 May 1919

Desperate German.

   A German by the name of Ingo Bernard Jesselsens was arrested by Det. Sergt. [Dunnes] of the Harbin Road Police Station Shanghai, on April 10, after a regular steeplechase across ditches and dump from the Azaleas Terrace through Chinese territory and then to somewhere in the vicinity of the Medhurst College where he was finally arrested and brought before the Mixed Court.

   He was first noticed by Det. Sergt. [Dunne] on North Szechuan Road despite his disguise.  After being finally trailed and arrested he made a break for the Chinese territory and was on the point of entering it when he was once more seized.  Again he broke loose and got into a stagnant ditch from which he was evicted by means of a long heavy bamboo but not before the Sergeant had to jump in and pull the fugitive Teuton out.

   When brought up before the Mixed Court Jesselsens presented a most disreputable sight.  He was charged with entering the Settlement without a visiting permit contrary to one of the regulations governing enemy subjects in China.

   The case was remanded.


The Argus (Melbourne), 26 July 1919



...   A civil claim over some property in Tsingtau last year brought him [Hung Chi-[tse]] within the jurisdiction of the Mixed Court.  The case was amicably settled, but as he was motoring away from the court he was recognised by Sung Tseng-lu, the fourteen-year-old son of the victim.  Following a lengthy trial at the Mixed Court Hung was then handed over to the Chinese authorities.


The Canton Times, 31 October 1919

News Brevities.

There was quite a "scene" at the Shanghai Mixed Court morning Oct. 24 when an old man piteously begged the Court to allow him to go to jail in place of his son.  His son's attorney, Mr. P. M. Linebarger, advised him to refrain, but he insisted that Mr. Linebarger should ask the Court to give him permission.  The Court, of course, could not see their way open to grant him permission even to accompany his son to the cells.


The Shanghai Gazette, 1 November 1919

At the Mixed Court To-day.

   About 2 p.m. yesterday a hawker was caught by a watchman on Soochow Road in the act of stealing 2 pieces of iron, value $6, from a building in course of erection.  The accused stated in court this morning that he did not steal them, but bought them from a handcart coolie for 80 cents.  Four previous convictions were against him, nor did the court believe him.  He was sentenced to 4 months imprisonment and subsequent expulsion.

   A Coolie was found with a small quantity of opium in his possession, intending to sell it on the Muirhead Road.  Assessor Hayashi and Magistrate Loh gave him the choice of paying a fine of $5 or 5 days.  The opium is to be confiscated.

   A house boy was given 3 months by the Mixed Court this morning for stealing a bag of rice, vale $4, from a wheelbarrow on Woochang Road, the property of Zee Ash Hung.

   A woman, age 28, appeared at the Mixed Court before Assessor Ross and Magistrate Tsang this morning for stealing $3,000 in bank-notes from Day Ying-dong.  The case will be remanded for another week.


The Shanghai Gazette, 1 November 1919.

Theft or Inspection?

Charge against "King-sing's" Second Officer.

   An incident which occurred on the Yuenfong Road jetty last night was aired at H.B.M. Police Court this morning before Mr. G. W. King, Police Magistrate.

   Charles F. Everingham, the second officer of Jardine's North China steamer, "Kingsing," according to his own story, in passing a Chinese of the Jetty last evening shortly before nine o'clock happened to note that there was something particularly solid among his baggage.  Having in mind that this might be something stolen from the ship he began to make an examination, when he suddenly found himself pounced upon, and later found himself in the police station; he said he had no recollection of what happened.

   At any rate, he was charged at the Police court this morning, under the Larceny Act, with the theft of 1,000 twenty cent pieces.  Mr. G. H. Wright appeared to prosecute, Insp. Bourke of the Hongkew Police Station, in whose jurisdiction the arrest was made, and Capt. Meyrick of the s.s. "Kingsing" were present in court as spectators.

   Evidence of arrest was given by a native constable from the Hongkew Station.  The constable stated that he was on duty in the Yuenfong Road at 8.45 p.m. last night.  He had received information from some Chinese that they had been stopped by a foreigner who took several packages out of their baggage.  He himself saw two packages in the accused's hand.  Having in mind the fact that he had no right to make an arrest, on the jetty, the accused was first pushed off the jetty and then witness arrested him on the road.  As the accused resisted considerably hr called another chinese constable to help him.

   His Worship. - Was the accused drunk or sober?

   Witness. - He appeared to have been drunk.

   Mr. Wright gave as a reason for asking for a remand until Monday that the incident only occurred late last night and, as the complainant was a Fukienese they had not yet been able to get hold of a competent interpreter.

  Capt. Meyrick was asked by His Worship when the ship would sail, how long it would be gone, and what effect this case would have on the accused in case he was not ready to go along with the ship.

   Capt. Meyrick replied that he only heard of the incident this morning, but he had seen the Marine Superintendent (Capt. Lake) and arrangements had been made to get another second officer, at least for the trip; as regards the man's future fate he was not able to say as it was a matter for the Marine Superintendent.  The ship would be gone about fourteen days.

   His Worship commented on Mr. Wright's application that he was placed in the position of having to keep the man in custody unless he would be able to find bail.

   A representative of Jardine's shipping office, in reply to the court, stated that in all probability Capt. Lake would go bail.

   Accused added that he was a man out from home under contract.

   The Court adjourned until Monday after fixing bail at $200 (by accused himself) and another British subject in the sum of $100.


The Shanghai Gazette, 3 November 1919

Kingsing's Second Officer Fined $20.

Charge of Larceny not Proven.

Charles F. Everingham, second officer of the s.s. "Kingsing," was fined twenty dollars at H.B.M. Police Court this morning for the assault in connection with the escapade he had on the Yuenfong Road jetty on Friday night, the chief details of which were related in the Police Court on Saturday morning.

   The complainant stated that he was a Fukienese tobacco merchant, who was about to go on board the "Choysang" to return to his home; he was accosted when he got on the jetty by a foreigner, whom he at first took to be a customs officer, who asked him to open the bag.  When he opened the bag, the accused took out two packages of 20 cent pieces that were in the bag and hit him (complainant) over the head with them; he then took two more packages and started to go off with them.  Thereupon complainant and his companion grabbed hold of accused; the two packages with which he had been hit over the head burst open and all the money rolled out on the jetty and was lost.  When they reached the policeman, accused took one of the packages and threw it on the roadway, the money being scattered on the road and some going into the river.  Beyond what the police found on the accuser, he had lost all the balance.  There were 1,000 20 cent pieces in all, he had bought a lot of this small money so as to use it to make presents when he got home.

   The police story was that when the accused was brought into the station and was told that he would be charged with stealing and that they intended to search him, he threw the remaining package on the floor, saying- Here's the bloody money.  I thought they had dope."  The packager burst and some of the money rolled outside the charge room.

   The accused said he didn't wish to give evidence.  He certainly didn't mean to steal the money; he had been drinking and was "funny;" he was always funny when he was drunk. He had just been to the bank and drawn a lot of money.  He asked to be treated leniently.

   Magistrate King, after listening to the accused's statement, commented that accused seemed to have quite a capacity.

   His Worship (to accused) - Aren't you ashamed of yourself?

   Accused. - Yes sir, I am.

   His Worship: Just see how foolish you were.  Going around drinking with $575 in your pocket.  You're very lucky not to have lost it all.

   Accused. - That is what some of my friends told me.

   His Worship: You have some sensible friends at any rate.

   Accused voluntarily stated that he was willing to compensate the chinese for what they had lost (approximately $175, according to their own statements.)

   His Worship stated that he did not think any intention to steal had been proved; he did not think any jury would convict on the evidence; the charge of assault had been proven, and on that the accuser would be fined twenty dollars, and he would have to compensate the complainants for their loss.


The Shanghai Gazette, 3 November 1919

At the Mixed Court To-day.

   Three coolies were charged before Assessor Blackburn and magistrate Li at the Mixed Court this morning for stealing, with two others not in custody, 76 lbs. of printing paper from the N.Y.K. Wharf, Yangtsepoo Road.  One of the coolies had 7 previous convictions against him.  The police asked the Court to remand the case for a week so as to locate and arrest the other two associates.

   Two tailors stole from their employer, Aung Foong-lau, 1002 Broadway Road, between Oct. 1 and Nov. 1, 1919, 3 rolls of blue canvas and 6 rolls of white canvas, value $230.  The first accused has been employed for five years.  The Court released the first on his own security but the second was given 2 weeks imprisonment.

   An office assistant appeared before Assessor Grant-Jones and Magistrate Kwan at the Mixed Court to-day charged with defrauding Messrs. Abe, Konei & Co. Ltd. Of the sum of $46.14 by means of a forged receipt on Oct. 31, and again on Nov. 1.  By these means he obtained $50 from the firm.  The case was remanded for the Japanese Assessor.

   Yesterday about 3 a.m. three coolies entered a dwelling in Shanghai native city and stole 12 rolls of cotton cloth, value $120.  They appeared at the Mixed Court this morning and was ordered to be handed over to the Chapel authorities.


The Shanghai Gazette, 4 November 1919

Yang Shan-teh's Tls. 80,000 Deposit.

   Madam Yang, widow of the late General Yang Shan-teh, Tuebun of Chekiang, has come to Shanghai to sue Kao Ching-hsin, Commissary Officer of the 4th Division of Chekiang, for attempting by false pretences to claim the sum of Tls. 80,000 deposited in the Shanghai Branch of the Bank of China by her husband.

   Some time ago Kao applied to the Mixed Court for an order to obtain the said sum of money from the bank of China alleging that the deposit book had been lost.

   In compliance with the order of the court an advertisement was inserted in the newspapers by Kao.

   This attracted the attention of Madam Yang, who at once put in a claim to the effect that the money belonged to her husband and that she held the deposit book.  The money was deposited in the bank by the hand of officer Kao.


The Shanghai Gazette, 4 November 1919

At the Mixed Court To-day.

   A blacksmith appeared before Assessor Jacobs and magistrate Li at the Mixed Court to-day, charged with the theft of 1 gold wrist watch, one Canadian  dollar note, $3.65 Mex. Value $60 from Mr. Russell W. Burton, 14 Quinsan Road.  The case was remanded for one week.

   A houseboy threatened to injure Mary E. Van Fischarz, 375 Medhurst Road, on Oct 23 and the next day he kept his wore for he struck, bruiser and wounded her.  The houseboy appeared at the Mixed Court this morning and the case was remanded till Thursday.  Shop security of $50 being granted.

   An unemployed Chinese appeared before Assessor Tenney and Magistrate Kwan at the Mixed Court today for the theft of 7 articles of clothing, 1 pair of socks, 6 razors, 3 pairs of scissors, 5 combs, 1 set of earpickers, 3 brushes, total value $25, from a dwelling house, No. 649 Burkill Road.  The case was remanded till Thursday.

   A coolie was given two days imprisonment by the Mixed Court to-day for stealing a plank of wood, value $1, from Yangtsepoo Road, the property of the Shanghai Mutual telephone Company, Limited.

   A hawker appeared before Assessor Jacobs and Magistrate Li charged with highway robbery in company with another not in custody.  The total amount stolen was $60, being 100 yen, a $10 note and $3 Mex.  The case was remanded until Thursday.

   A coolie was given one weeks' imprisonment by the Mixed Court this morning for receiving at various dates, from Sept. 24 to Oct. 31, at Kiukiang Road, 10 books to the value of $10, knowing that they were stolen.

  An apprentice, Wang Zak-lau, was brought before Assessor Tenney and Magistrate Kwan at the Mixed Court this morning charged with stealing at various dates, from Sept. 24 to Nov. 1, 35 books and 20 scrolls from Kao Kyun-nying.  The case was remanded for one week, and the Court ordered that the accused' father should be notified to attend the Court.


The Shanghai Gazette, 5 November 1919.

Italian Successful on Claim Against German.

Case heard Before Mr. Ros At The Mixed Court.

   At the Mixed Court yesterday afternoon, F. Parlani, an Italian subject, sued L. Koenigsberger, a German, to recover Tls. 2,730 and interest due on a promissory note.

   Plaintiff produced the promissory note which defendant acknowledged was signed by him.  Plaintiff added that though demands had been made for payment of the money owing, it had not in fact been paid.

   The defendant, who admitted the claim, said he was unable to pay at present.  He had had no work for several years, owing to the war, and he was now expecting to get some money from his home.

   The Assessor, Mr. Ros. - When do you expect to get this money?

   Defendant. - It is so uncertain.  The war has been over for so many months, peace has been signed, but the money does not come.

   Defendant added that he had two cases against Chinese in the Mixed Court pending since 1917 and when he could get the money on these he would be only too pleased to pay the plaintiff.  There was something like $2,000 owing to him.

   Judgment was given for the plaintiff for the amount claimed, and the Court said a letter would be written to the Registrar informing him that any money which the defendant recovered in his suite should be kept for the plaintiff.



The Shanghai Gazette, 5 November 1919

At the Mixed Court To-day.

   A houseboy was given 3 days imprisonment by the Mixed Court this morning for the theft of 3 tins of condensed milk and 2 lbs. of butter, vale $2, belonging to Mr. G. F. Fitch, 50 Dixwell Road.

   A coolie was given one day imprisonment by the Mixed Court this morning for unlawfully walking off with a basket of charcoal, value 50 cents, at North Fokien Road Bridge.

   A number of opium-smokers appeared at the Mixed Court charged with smoking opium in a den at Yuenfong Road.  The Court fined one of them, a tailor, $20 or 3 weeks, the others were given the choice: paying a fine of $3 or 3 days.  And a widow who kept a den at 159 Toong Kwen Foong was also given the choice of a fine of $10 or 10 days imprisonment.

   An unemployed Chinese was given 3 months imprisonment by the Mixed Court this morning for stealing an ear-pick, value $7, from Sung Sze- at Koo Ka Loong.


The Shanghai Gazette, 6 November 1919

At the Mixed Court To-day.

   Loo Hah-yoong, a shroff, appeared before Assessor Tenney and Magistrate Yui at the Mixed Court this morning charged with embezzling the sum of $181.70 which he received on behalf of his employer, Mr. J. D. Sullivan, No. 11 Nanking Road.  The Court granted a remand for s week on security of $200.

   A shopkeeper was charged at the Mixed Court this morning before Assessor Jacobs and Magistrate Tsang, with allowing his employees to sleep in the bakehouse of the Armenian bakery, 202 Woosung Road.  He was fined $10.

   A coolie appeared at the Mixed Court this morning before Assessors Tenney and Magistrate Yui charged with stealing with two others not in custody, 12 baskets of charcoal, value $6, at Tibet Road bridge at 11 a.m. on the 4th.  He was given a week's imprisonment.

   A shop assistant was given two months imprisonment by the Mixed Court this morning for attempting to bribe Chinese constable No. 437, by giving him a ring, value $15, in order to evade arrest and defeat the ends of justice.  The ring is to be confiscated.

   A tailor, a carpenter and an unemployed Chinese, appeared before Assessor Blackburn and Magistrate Tsang at the Mixed Court to-day charged with six others not in custody, for robbery from Wong Yung-hooer in the Yoon-Ching Liu alley the sum or $20 in notes, $15 Mex.  The case was remanded for one week.


The Shanghai Gazette, 8 November 1919

At the Mixed Court To-day.

   A hawker appeared before Assessor Hayashide and Magistrate Loh charged with pocket-picking.  Mr. I. Oke, the complainant, stated that about 10.45 a.m. the hawker picked his purse containing 50 cents in silver, and 10 coppers - total value $1 - an ran off.  A police constable was called and the man was arrested and brought to the Station.  It was found that the culprit had been expelled from the settlement in March last.  He was given 5 months imprisonment and subsequent expulsion.

   Three coolies and a blacksmith appeared before Assessor Hayashide and Magistrate Loh at the Mixed Court this morning charged with burglary.  They entered a dwelling house at 82 North Szechuen Road, occupied by Dr. Shinagawa, and stole one overcoat, ten yen notes, three $5 notes, $1 note, $1 Mex. and 13 ten cent pieces, total value $75.  The case was remanded for one week.

   Detective Min Zien arrested a Chinese, who was found with a pair ort leather shoes, 3 brass water pipes, and a satin table cloth, value $25, in his possession.  Unable to give a satisfactory explanation the man was taken to th4 Station.  It was discovered that the goods were stolen from 314.5 Fokien Road.  The man hid himself in the premises before locking-up time.  Assessor Ross and Magistrate Tsang sentenced him to three months imprisonment.

   A coolie who stole a quantity of copper, value $10, was arrested by Chinese Police Constable 783 at Shanse Road near Tientsin Road.  It was stated in Court this morning that the coolie who had stolen the copper from one coppersmith's shop tried to sell it at another, not knowing that it was a new branch of the other shop.  The assistant recognised the man and called C.P.C. 783 to arrest him.  He was sentenced to one year's imprisonment and subsequent expulsion.

   A carpenter appeared at the Mixed Court this morning before Assessor Hayashide and Magistrate Loh charged with the theft yesterday of one bed cover, value $2, from No. 1013 Tong Doong Ka Loong.  On Nov. 2 he stole from a builder's yard, 2 cotton bed covers, value $7.  The Court sentenced him to 3 weeks imprisonment.


The Shanghai Gazette, 10 November 1919

At the Mixed Court To-day.

   A wheelbarrow coolie appeared before Assessor Blackburn and Magistrate Li at the Mixed Court this morning charged with the assault of Chinese Police constable 581 on Saturday afternoon about 3.30 p.m., at Hankow Road.  He struck the constable on the face with his hand.  He was given 5 days imprisonment or fined $5.

   A shroff, Zien Tsu-tsan, appeared this morning at the Mixed Court before Assessor Blackburn and Magistrate Li charged with embezzling the sum of $254.50, which he received on behalf of his employer between August 1 and Sept. 30, 1919, and it was further found that he embezzled the sum or $3058 from the National Furbishing Co. between the dates of Jan. 1 and Dec. 8, 1918.  He was sentenced to one year's imprisonment.

   About 8 a.m. yesterday Mr. Okayo, No. 333 Woosung Road caught a hawker leaving his house with a pair of shoes, value $9, under his arm.  He was brought to the Hongkew station and remained in custody till he appeared at the Mixed Court this morning.

   A coolie Sung Yih-Daung, appeared at the Mixed Court this morning charged with the theft of long silk gowns, 1 silk jacket, 1 silk sash, 1 silver watch, 3 cakes of soap, 4 small ornaments and a towel from Kaung Yiu-we and Kaung ah-nen both residing at 16 Sinza Terrace.  The articles were stolen between Oct. 25 and Nov. 9.  He was given a month's imprisonment.

   A sailor, Li Mei, appeared at the Mixed Court before Assessor Blackburn and Magistrate Li charged with having a packet of opium in his possession, intending to sell it at a shop on the Chan Foong road, which is contrary to Art. 266 of the Chinese Provisional Criminal code.  He was fined $60 or 3 weeks imprisonment; the opium is to be confiscated.

   A handcart foreman appeared at the Mixed Court this morning for defrauding between Oct. 21 and Nov. 8 the sum of $23 which he received from his employer.  The Court stated that if he returned the money the sentence would be reduced to one week instead of one month.


The Canton Times, 20 January 1920

Taxation Prosecution at Shanghai.

Shanghai, Jan. 17. - At the Mixed Court yesterday, the British Assessor, Mr. Grant-Jones, severely censured a Chinese defendant who was called up for non-payment of rates.

   The defendant maintained that he had not paid his rates pending a settlement of the representation question.

  The Assessor: "Do you seriously think that you and the other rogues of your kidney are going to be allowed to hold a pistol to the head of the foreign community of this Settlement?"

   The Assessor added that by such action they had proved themselves incompetent to participate in the civil administration of the Settlement.

   The Court ordered payment with costs.

   Counsel for the prosecution drew the attention of the Court to inflammatory articles in four Chinese papers, alleging that assault with violence had been employed in the execution of the warrants on Jan. 12.

   Counsel urged that the Court should summon the editors of the offending newspapers.

   The Assessor, after referring to a difficulty as regards foreign interests reserved his decision. - Pacific Service.


Straits Times, 24 December 1919
 The Bangkok Times reports that a claim has been entered by Mr. Lowe Kye Joay, a British subject, against Mitsui Bussan  Kaisha, Ltd., in the Japanese Consular Court in Bangkok for Tls. 18,000 damages for non-delivery of sugar which the Mitsui Bussan Kaisha Ltd., are alleged to have  contracted to deliver to the plaintiff.  The Japanese Consular Court has fixed January 12 for the hearing of the action.

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School