Skip to Content

Colonial Cases

Russian cases, 1902-1906

The following was selected, edited and transcribed by Peter Bullock.


The North-China Herald, 2 July 1902


Shanghai, 27th June.

Before C. KLEIMENOW, Esq., Consul-General.


A smart piece of work on the part of Detective-sergeant McDowell was the subject of a case which was heard to-day at the above Court.  It seems that while the Russian Circus was performing at Hong-kong one of the chief performers had diamonds and jewelry to the value of $1,500 stolen from his box.  The matter was reported to the police there, but they were quite unable to locate either the thief or the stolen property.  When the Circus arrived here the loser communicated with the local police and the case was given in charge of detective-sergeant McDowell, who has ever since been working on it.  There was great difficulty in securing conclusive evidence, though the circumstances pointed pretty clearly to a certain man.  However, the detective's strategy at length prevailed, and the thief fell into a neat trap; laid for him, being arrested in the act of disposing of the stolen goods to a person acting on behalf of McDowell, and all the jeweler was recovered and handed over to its rightful owner, who had given up hopes of ever recovering it.

At the Court to-day the owner of the jeweler declined to prosecute, but the Consul-General thought that the presence of the prisoner in Shanghai was undesirable, so ordered that he should be at once deported.  At the conclusion of the case the Consul-General complimented the detective-sergeant very highly upon the skilful manner in which he had dealt with the case.


The North-China Herald, 23 April 1903

   AT the Russian Consular Court on Wednesday, F. SMILEIKOUSER, of No. 33, Woosung Road, was charged with keeping a restaurant and selling liquor therein without a license at 10.45 p.m. on the 12th instant, contrary to Municipal Bye-law 34.  The defendant was fined ten roubles, or 13 dollars, and cautioned that if caught selling liquor in the house again, he would be ordered to close the house within twenty-four hours.


The North-China Herald, 3 February 1904



Before Mr. KLEIMENOW, Consul-General.


SERGE PHILLIPOFF, a sailor from the Nonni, was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Broadway and assaulting native constable 422 whilst in the execution of his duty, and causing the loss of his whistle (valued at 75 cents).  Prisoner was also charged with assaulting one Handit Singh, a watchman at the German Consulate, and further with assaulting a ricksha coolie, and doing $1.50 worth of damage to his ricksha.

After hearing the evidence of the complainants his Honour ordered the prisoner to pay compensation for the damage he had done and $5 to the Indian watchman.  Prisoner was then sent on board his ship for punishment.


FANNY BARANOFF and ZINTA MALHER were charged with being inmates of a disorderly house at No. 37, North Soochow Road, in contravention of Municipal Bye-law XXX!V.  The case was remanded.


The Times, 25 October 1906

The Novoe Vremya urges the creation of a Supreme Consular Court at Kharbin similar to the British Court at Shanghai.

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School