Macquarie Law School
Ms Lise Barry
Tel: +61-2-9850 4237
Fax: +61-2-9850 7686
Location: W3A 507
Lise Barry first joined the teaching staff at Macquarie Law School in 2005 from a background working in mediation and Youth Justice Conferencing. As a nationally accredited mediator working with the NSW Attorney General's Department, Lise mediates disputes ranging from neighborhood and family law disputes through to commercial and workplace disputes. Lise is also a member of the NSW Guardian Ad Litem panel, representing people who lack the capacity to instruct a solicitor or to represent themselves in NSW Courts and Tribunals. Lise currently teaches courses in Legal Ethics and Alternative Dispute Resolution. As a foundational co-convenor of the Australian Research Network on Law and Ageing (ARNLA), Lise collaborates with colleagues around Australia contributing to research on legal issues of concern to older Australians. Lise is also a member of EMAN - 'Elder Mediation Australasian Network'.
BA (Soc Sc) LLB (Hons I) (Macq)
Learning & Teaching Director
Legal Ethics, Capacity, Substitute Decision Making, Elder Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Juvenile Justice, Restorative Justice, Human Rights.
- 'Elder Mediation' (2013) 24 Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal 251.
- Lise Barry (ed), Lawyers: Roles, Skills and Responsibilities (Thomson Reuters, 2013).
- 'Goddard Elliott v Fritsch  VSC 87 - Case Note' (2012) 10 Macquarie Law Journal 131.
- 'The Calamitous Case of the Cobbled Courtyard' Bradford v James  EWCA Civ 837 (18 July 2008)', (2009) 20 Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal 76.
- 'A Human Rights Perspective on Diplomatic Protection: David Hicks and his Dual Nationality' (2007) 13 Australian Journal of Human Rights 1 (with Natalie Klein)
- 'Secretary of State for the Home Department v David Hicks  EWCA Civ 400' 13 Australian International Law Journal (2006) 247.
Conference and Paper Presentations
- "Learning Ethics From Complainants: Stories of Capacity Complaints", (2013) Paper Presented at Australian and New Zealand Ethics Colloquium, Flinders University, 27th - 29th November
- "Capacity Assessment in Mediations Involving Older People" - presentation to the Sydney Mediation Advisory Forum, Thursday 29th May 2013.
- "Lawyer's Skill in Capacity Assessment: A Human Rights Approach", paper presented at Sixth Annual World Summit in Elder Mediation, Adelaide, 30 April 2013.
- "Refining an Understanding of Restorative Justice", University of Sydney Restorative Justice Seminar Series, 29 November 2010.
- "A View From the Chair", The Challenges, Promises and Processes of a New Paradigm, Towards Restorative Justice Conference, University of Sydney, December 7-9, 2009