Macquarie Law School
Dr. Carlos L. Bernal-Pulido
Position: Associate Professor
Tel: +61-2-9850 4090
Fax: +61-2-9850 7686
Location: W3A 625
Carlos Bernal is an Associate Professor at Macquarie Law School (Sydney, Australia). He has research interests in the fields of constitutional comparative law, jurisprudence, and torts. He has published widely in all these fields in 7 different languages. His qualifications include a LL.B. from the University Externado of Colombia (Bogota) (1996), a S.J.D. from the University of Salamanca (Spain) (2001) and a M.A. (2008) and a Ph.D. in Philosophy (2011) from the University of Florida (U.S.A). He has delivered guest lectures and presented papers in more than 20 countries.
LL.B. (University Externado of Colombia), S.J.D. (University of Salamanca, Spain)
M.A. (Philosophy) (University of Florida), Ph.D. (University of Florida).
Director, Postgraduate Coursework, Coursework Masters and Master of Research (MRES)
- Law 115 - Foundations of Law (Convenor)
- Laws805 - Theories of Law and Justice
- Law 895 - Legal Research Dissertation
- Legal Theory
- Comparative Constitutional Law
- Human Rights
(Code: Eng=English, Sp=Spanish, Pt=Portuguese, Fr=French, Ger=German, It=Italian)
- The Philosophy of Law of Eugenio Bulygin. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015 (with Carla Huerta, José J. Moreso, Pablo Navarro, Bonnie L. Paulson, and Stanley L. Paulson).
- "The Right to Water: Constitutional Perspectives from the Global South", in: Shawkat Alam, Sumudu Atapattu, Carmen G. Gonzalez, and Jona Razzaque (eds.), International Environmental Law and the Global South. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015.
- "Transitional Justice within the Framework of a Permanent Constitution", 3 (4) Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law, 2014.
- "The Right to Equality in the Access to Health Services", in Laura Clérico, Liliana Ronconi and Martin Aldao (eds.), Tratado de Derecho a la Salud (Buenos Aires: Abeledo Perrot), 2013, Vol. 1, p. 103-132. [Sp]
- "Unconstitutional Constitutional Amendments in the Case Study of Colombia: An Analysis of the Justification and Meaning of the Constitutional Replacement Doctrine", International Journal of Constitutional Law (11) 2013, 339-357 (*).[Eng]
- "The Drama of Law as a Collective Play", This Century (2) 2013, 8-15. [Eng]
- Spanish translation forthcoming in Podium (UEES, Guayaquil, Ecudor), 2013. (*)
- "In Search of the Ontological Structure of Law", Analisi e Diritto, 2012 (*). [Eng]
- French translation by Prof. Bjarne Melkevik, forthcoming as book chapter in: Thomas Bustamante and Bjarne Melkevik (eds), Rationalités pour le Droit (Québec: Presses Universitaires Laval), 2014.
- Spanish translation by Gonzalo Villa, in: Revista de Derecho del Estado (30) 2013, 31-54. (*)
- "Is Tort Law a Practice of Corrective Justice?", Diritto e Questione Pubbliche (12) 2012, 1-23 (*) [Eng]
- Spanish version forthcoming in a collection edited by Diego Papayannis for celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the publication of Jules Coleman's Risks and Wrongs. Marcial Pons, Barcelona. (*)
- "Introduction" (with Thomas Bustamante), in Carlos Bernal and Thomas Bustamante (eds.), On the Philosophy of Precedent (Stuttgart: Franz Steiner Verlag), 2012, 7-10. [Eng]
- "Precedents and Balancing", in Carlos Bernal and Thomas Bustamante (eds.), On the Philosophy of Precedent (Stuttgart: Franz Steiner Verlag), 2012, 51-58. [Eng]
- Spanish version in: Podium, (22) 2012, 67-77. (*)
- "The Constitutional Right to Water and the Problems for Satisfying it", Letras Juridicas, 17 (1), 2012, 23-48. [Sp] (*)
- "Constitutional Rights, Juristocracy and Hyper-presidentislism in Latin America", in Arnaud Martin (ed.), La glaive et la balance. Droits de l'homme, justice constitutionnelle et démocratie en Amérique Latine (Paris : L'Harmattan), 2012, 27-48. [Fr]
- Spanish version in: Arnaud Martin (ed.), Justicia constitucional, derechos humanos y democracia en América Latina, forthcoming (Bogota: Universidad Externado de Colombia), 2014.