Skip to Content

Colonial Cases


Cambrian, 8 June 1805

A very unfortunate circumstance occurred a few days since at Colby, in Pembrokeshire; a number of persons having assembled there at a merry-making, after spending the evening with much hilarity, a quarrel unhappily took place late at night between some of the parties, and a battle ensuing, a man of the name of John Merchant was so severely beaten by three others, named Gibby, that he expired almost immediately afterwards.  An inquest has since been held, and the jury returned a verdict of Manslaughter.  The offenders have absconded.


Cambrian, 7 September 1805

At the Assizes at Haverfordwest, Jane Davies, charged with the murder of her bastard child, was acquitted of the murder bur found guilty of the concealment, and sentenced to two years imprisonment; Richard Gibby, William Gibby, and Isaac Griffiths, for manslaughter, in killing John Merchant, were sentenced to a year's imprisonment, after a trial of considerable length.


Cambrian, 25 January 1806



WHEREAS JOHN OWEN, of the parish of St. Dogmael's, in the county of Pembroke, Farmer, absconded, stands charged with the WILFUL MURDER of JOSHUA LEWIS, of the same place, Mariner, whom it appears by an inquest taken before me, he stabbed in six different places on the night of Friday, the 27th of December last, who lingered till the Sunday following and then expired from the wounds.

  Whoever will apprehend, &c., ... THOS. JAMES, Coroner.

   Description of the  said John Owen: - He is about five feet six inches high, fair complexion, dark grey eyes, dark hair, bandy legged, with his toes turned inward, the thumb of his left hand smaller than the other, and about twenty-two years of age.


Cambrian, 15 February 1806

JOHN OWEN, charged with the wilful murder of Joshua Lewis, at St. Dogmael's, Pembrokeshire, whose escapee from justice was lately advertised in this paper, has been apprehended at Dinasmouddy, in Merionethshire.  The unwearied exertion with which T. James, Esq., the coroner for the county has prosecuted his search after the delinquent, merits a tribute of commendation far superior to any we can bestow. - The culprit is lodged in Haverfordwest gaol.


Cambrian, 19 April 1806

At Haverfordwest assizes there were two prisoners for trial, John Owen and Henry Bruton, charged with murder, but both were acquitted.


Cambrian, 9 June 1810


A melancholy accident happened here last Monday evening.  As a sailor belonging to the Challe, of Bridgewater, was as culling in the vessel's boat, standing on the thwart, the oar slipped out of the scullage, and he fell overboard, in sight of a number of spectators.  A great many boats were manned immediately, and every endeavour used with grapplings, but the body was not found for near three quarters of an hour, when every means was used by the faculty to restore animation, but without effect.


Cambrian, 25 August 1810

On Wednesday last, a coroner's inquest was held at Hubberston, near Milford, on the body of Thomas Howells, a poor man, who in endeavouring to leap from a cart which he was driving, fell down, and the wheel going over his breast, occasioned his death in ten minutes, - Verdict accidental death.


Cambrian, 8 December 1810

   An inquest has been held at Milford by Henry Stokes, Esq. on the bodies of John Goodman, steward of the ship City of Limerick, Butler, master; and Mr. Hayes, a passenger, who, with two boys, having rowed alongside the vessel, the boat upset, and the former were both drowned.  Although they did not remain more than ten minutes in the water, and medical assistance was immediately afforded, yet every effort to restore animation proved abortive, and it is feared that intoxication was the cause of their perishing.  The bodies were interred in Hubberstone church-yard on Tuesday last, attended by a large concourse of people. - The boys were fortunately saved.


Cambrian, 5 January 1811

[The Late Gales]

A vessel unknown was seen to founder near Milford on Christmas-day, and every soul on board perished.


Carmarthen Journal, 21 March 1812

   A melancholy and very distressing accident happened on Sunday night last, at a boarding school kept by Miss Reynolds, in Haverfordwest.  Whilst Miss M. was visiting a friend, Miss Jenkins, a fine girl about nine years of age, daughter of Capt. David Jenkins, of the Nelson packet, Milford, having accidentally come in contact with a candle, her dress took fire, and she was burnt in such a shocking manner as to occasion her death on the following morning.  We hear that the afflicted parent is inconsolable, having lost an affectionate wife, an infant child, and a son, grown to manhood (the latter being drowned) within the last twelve months.


Cambrian, 11 April 1812

   The sloop Star, of Aberystwyth, John Davis, master, from Waterford bound to Milford in ballast, was, in the night of the 6th inst., ran on board of by the brig Victory, of Cardigan, Thomas Nicholas, master, from Cork for Newport with pigs, at the entrance of Milford Haven, and immediately foundered.  The crew of the Star, although it was very dark at the time, had the good fortune to succeed in getting on board the brig, and all except one boy were saved.


Carmarthen Journal, 15 August 1812

   An inquest was held on Thursday last, by the Coroner of the District, on the body of Henry Gammon, Farmer, who was killed by a fall from his horse near Pibor Bridge, on Wednesday evening.  Verdict - Accidental death.  ??Pembs/Cards??


Cambrian, 22 August 1812

   On Friday, the 14th instant, an inquest was held by John Stokes, Esq. Coroner for the county of Pembroke, on the body of Miss Martha Llewellyn, aged nine years, daughter of Mr. Richard Llewellyn, Cannerton, Pembrokeshire, who was unfortunately killed by the tripping up of a water-cart. - Verdict, accidental death.


Cambrian, 5 September 1812

   A Coroner's Inquest was held at Milford, on Friday last, before H. Stokes, Esq. on the body of Mr. William George, son of Mr. Philip George, of Bristol, who, after a minute investigation of all the circumstances of the case, brought in a verdict of accidental death.  The unfortunate young man was taking the amusement of bathing, but venturing out of his depth, he could not effect his return, and unhappily perished.  His remains were interred at Stainton on Saturday morning. [See Carmarthen Journal, same date.]


Cambrian, 19 September 1812


It is our painful duty this week to record the particulars of a most atrocious and cruel murder committed in Milford haven:- On Sunday evening last, a sailor called at the house of James Waters, the ferryman at Bulwell, on the other side of Milford Harbour, and requested to have a bed, which was refused, on account of his suspicious appearance; but as he remained sauntering about till it became late, he was permitted to sleep in the kitchen.  On rising next morning, he pretended that he was going to Neyland, but observing Waters giving James Dean, his servant-lad, about 35s. with instructions to proceed in their boat and pay the same at Milford, the villain begged a passage over, which was granted.  On the way, concealed from view by the prevalence of a very thick fog, he perpetrated the barbarous deed: cries of murder were distinctly heard, but not seriously noticed, on account of their being common when the masters of vessels are chastising their boys; however, on the fog clearing away, the ferry-boat was discovered, near the shore, with a quantity of blood in her bottom.  The murdered had landed, but the direction he had taken was unknown; an alarm being instantly given, a most active pursuit commenced, and he was fortunately secured about five o'clock on Tuesday morning, while lying under a hedge near the village of Templeton, about two miles from Narberth.  He was conveyed before the Rev. Mr. Morse for examination; at first he denied having any knowledge of the transaction, but afterwards confessed the fact, and acknowledged that he knocked the boy down with his fist, then beat him severely with the oar, struck his head against the gun whale of the boat with great violence, and finished the horrid business by cutting his throat and throwing the body overboard; but denied robbing him.  The unhappy wretch declared that he did not wish to love, and cared not how soon his life was forfeited.  He is a tall, stout man, about the age of 60, said his name was John Bruce, and is believed to be an American.

   The body of the unfortunate boy was picked up on Monday evening, a shocking spectacle.  An inquest was held on Tuesday, and the Jury having returned a verdict of Wilful Murder against the prisoner, he was committed to Haverfordwest gaol. [Continues...][See also Carmarthen Journal, 19 September: money found in the boat.][See also Cambrian, 19 December 1812.]


Carmarthen  Journal, 3 October 1812

   On Thursday afternoon, a Coroner's Inquest was held at Milford, before Henry Stokes, Esq. on the body of William Mathias, master of the sloop Ann, of Newport.  It appears that the deceased had come on shore on Wednesday evening, in company with John Llewellyn, master of the Dove, in order to procure some articles for the use of his vessel, and about half past eleven o'clock on Thursday night, parted with the said Llewellyn at the Bristol Trader public-house, with an intention of going immediately non board.  Having reached a cliff opposite to the place in which his vessel law, he hailed her, and the boat shortly after shoved off; but before it could reach the shore, the unfortunate man had fallen over the cliff on some sharp rocks in consequence of which he shortly after expired.  Verdict - Accidental Death.


Cambrian, 17 October 1812

   The Nancy, of Bridgewater, Parker, master, from Waterford for Swansea, laden with wheat and live cattle, foundered on the night of the 8th inst. off West Dale, near Milford.  A boy was unfortunately drowned: the master, the rest of the crew, and a woman passenger, were picked up by a brig belonging to Whitehaven, and landed at Milford the following morning.


Carmarthen Journal, 5 December 1812

   An inquest was held on Wednesday se'nnight, at Trewent, near Pembroke, by H. Stokes, Esq. coroner, on the body of Margaret Jones, who, through the fatal carelessness of William Williams, her fellow-servant, in snapping a loaded gun, was shot through the left breast, which occasioned her death.  Verdict - Accidental Death.   [Carmarthen Journal, 12 December.]


Cambrian, 12 August 1813

      On Monday evening last, a middle aged woman, of the name of Lewis, residing at Milford, cut her throat in a shocking manner while in bed.  Surgical assistance was immediately procured, and there are some faint hopes of her recovery.  On being asked her reason for the rash act, she replied, "it was on account of the dead."


Cambrian, 20 November 1813

   The ship Draper has arrived at Milford: she shipped a sea on Friday night to the westward of the Smalls, and lost two men. - She had, at one time, three feet and a half in her hold.


Cambrian, 2 April 1814


Suddenly, at Milford, on Tuesday morning last, aged 24, Maria, daughter of Mr. Dymock, of that town.  She retired to rest the preceding evening in good health; complained of illness in the night to her sister who slept with her, and about half an hour after the family had collected around her she expired, with well-founded hope of a happy immortality.

   At Milford, on Saturday last, suddenly, on board the Leda transport, lately arrived from Passages, with French prisoners, bound to Portsmouth, Capt. Wilmott, aged 52, after writing two letters, one to his wife, and another to his owners, said he would lie down, and requested to be called at five o'clock, but on one of his people going to awaken him, it was found that he had lain down to rise no more, being a corpse.


Cambrian, 18 June 1814

   In Saturday last a Coroner's inquest was held on the body of John Beynon, of Marloes, near Milford, late a mariner in the Endeavour Customs cutter, who was found drowned at Sandy Haven; it is supposed that he was attempting to cross the haven, when the tide, being too high, carried him off his legs.


Cambrian, 20 August 1814

   On Saturday morning last the body of Mrs. Williams, wife of Mr. William Williams, plaisterer, of Milford, was found on the rocks opposite the brewery of Mr. Gayer Starbuck, in Humberstone-pill (which divides Milford from that village), much cut and bruised; this discovery occasioned various conjectures as to the cause of he untimely end, she having been seen in her house late the preceding evening; it however appeared, that her husband had gone to a fair held at Harbranstone (about two miles distant), and not returning home as soon as expected, she proceeded there in quest of him, and having a bridge to cross over the above pill, it is generally supposed she fell into the water and was drowned; and that the current had carried her to the place where she was found.  Mr. Starbuck immediately caused her to be conveyed to his brewery, where she remained till Sunday morning, when a Coroner's inquest sat on the body, and after a patient investigation returned a overtrick - Found Drowned.


Cambrian, 21 January 1815

   An unfortunate circumstance occurred in Milford Harbour of Tuesday evening, the 10th inst.  Patrick Roach, one of the Pilots of that port, accompanied by a seafaring man, who had gone thither for the purpose of getting employment, and whose name is unknown, in the morning boarded the Russian ship Founcheon, Capt. Anslaung, from the Baltic, with timber for his Majesty's Dock-yard, and on leaving the ship in the evening, the boat in which they were by some unknown circumstance upset, and they were both drowned.  On the following morning the body of the last-mentioned person was found by Francis Roche, Esq. of Castle-Hall, on the rocks in Castle-Hall Pill, in a sitting posture.  A Coroner's inquest, was held on the body the next day.  The body of Roach has not yet been found, although every possible search has been made.  He has left a large family to lament his loss.


The Observer, 29 January 1815


   A quarryman, residing near Trenewydd, Pembrokeshire, while incautiously filling last week a flask with gun-powder, from a barrel containing nearly 400 lbs of the same, and his infant child, about twelve months old, being at that time on the mother's knee, was playing with a small stick, the end of which was on fire, a spark was unfortunately communicated to the powder, which instantly exploded, carrying away the roof of the cottager, and blowing up the poor woman, who fell across one of the beams.  She was dreadfully scorched, and her nose completely crushed; the man was forced through a partition wall, being shockingly burn and bruised, and the poor babe, who was the unhappy but innocent cause of this complicated calamity, exhibited such a lamentable spectacle of disfigurement as to antagonize the feelings of all who witnessed the affecting scene.  To the further sufferings of the father and child death has put a period, but the poor woman, notwithstanding the injuries she sustained, is still alive.


Cambrian, 28 October 1815

      The sloop Blessing, Lloyd, master, trading from Tenby to Bristol, foundered on Wednesday evening, off Saundersfoot, in a gale of wind: and we regret to state, that both the owner, Mr. Lloyd, and the master lost their lives.  Several other persons were on board, but fortunately escaped the sad fate of their employers.


Cambrian, 6 July 1816

   On Monday last a number of shipwrights were sent from his Majesty's Dock Yard, at Pater, to repair the lazarettes in Milford harbour; when alongside one of them in the Dock Yard launch, a piece of timber fell into the eater, when one of the shipwrights stooping over to take it up, the launch gave a sudden roll, and, in consequence, the poor man's head was crushed in such a shocking manner between the Lazarette and launch that his life is despaired of.


Cambrian, 27 July 1816

   On Thursday last, about two o'clock, a topsail-yard sloop was observed at Milford, about three miles from St. Ann's Head, in great distress; but it then blowing a heavy gale of wind at W.N.W. it was impossible to render any assistance - she shortly after went down, when the crew, three in number, were seen clinging to a spar, but every effort proving ineffectual, they were obliged to resign themselves to a watery grave.  We have not been able to find that any thing has as yet been washed on shore so as to give the least idea as to the property.


Cambrian, 20 December 1817

   In the night between Thursday and Friday last, was washed overboard and drowned, in Caldy Road, Mr. D. Jones, captain of the Carmarthen Packet, a Bristol trading vessel, who has left a wife and large family to lament his loss.


Cambrian, 4 April 1818

On Wednesday last was committed to Haverfordwest gaol, by A. J. Stokes, Esq. one of his Majesty's Justices of the Peace for the county of Pembroke, W. H. Newton, master of the brigantine William, of Barbadoes, from Liverpool for Pernambuco, charged by the crew with having on the 5th Nov. last, on the passage from Maranham to Liverpool, administered poison to Capt. Rider, late master of that vessel, which caused his death in a few hours afterwards; also with having, at the same time, administered poison to the mate, Bowden, who is expected at Milford in a few days.


Cambrian, 4 July 1818

DIED. - At Lawhaden, near Narberth, in his 101st tear, Mr. Griffith Thomas, late of Sidston, in that neighbourhood, who enjoyed an uninterrupted state of health, with the use of all his faculties, to the blast.  He walked out as usual on Tuesday, went to bed in apparently good health on that night, and was found dead in his bed on the following morning.


Cambrian, 12 June 1819

   A melancholy accident occurred at Hakin, Milford Haven, on Saturday night last.  A soldier of bathe 51st regiment, one of our brave defenders at Waterloo, stationed at the Fort Barracks, fell over the cliff, and died on the following morning. [Editorial comment on the road from Hakin to the Fort.]


Cambrian, 18 September 1819

   At the Pembroke Great Sessions, last week, ... A female, charged with the murder of her bastard child; ... acquitted.


Cambrian, 28 April 1821

Murder. - William Roblin, a small farmer about three miles from Haverfordwest, and who also kept an ale-house, was indicted at these Sessions for the wilful murder of William Davies, a young man who formerly lived with him as a servant, but had left his place in consequence of the bad habits of the prisoner, and the frequent ill-using and beating his wife.  In the month of September last, on a Saturday evening, the deceased and his new employer, T. Thomas, were returning home from their work, and overtook Roblin on the road, near his own house, when a violent quarrel arose betwixt the prisoner and the deceased, which h continued some time, and at length terminated in the former procuring a pistol from his own house, with which he shot Davies through the head, who died of the wound about three weeks afterwards.  The  The facts appeared so clear against the prisoner, that the jury pronounced him Guilty, and the learned judge, after an affecting address, sentenced him to suffer death on Monday, the 23d inst. and his body to be dissected and anatomised.  His execution accordingly took place on the above morning. [Dying statement, and statement at the gallows.]


Cambrian, 30 March 1822

   Melancholy Catastrophe. - Last week, at one of the coal-pits in the parish of Amroth, Pembrokeshire, two poor women were precipitated from the top of the pit to the bottom, a depth of 60 yards, by the breaking of the rope.  One of the women lived about ten minutes. But both of them were (literally speaking) dashed to pieces.  An inquest was held on view of the bodies, and a verdict returned of - Accidental Death.


Cambrian, 24 August 1822

PEMBROKESHIRE. - On Tuesday last, an Inquest was held at the sign of the Sloop, at Hakin, near Milford, on the body of John Thomas, a labourer, of Pembroke, who had, the preceding day, come in a boat from that place.  It appears that the deceased had gone to take care of the boat; and , in the morning, when his partner went in search of him, he found him lying on the beach at Hakin Point,  drowned. Verdict - Found Drowned.


The Cambrian, 22 February 1823


   On Wednesday last, John Lawrence, a mariner, belonging to the Otter hospital ship, at Milford, died suddenly in a boat alongside.  He was seized as in a fit, and before medical assistance could be procured life was extinct.


The Cambrian, 3 May 1823


   On Monday last, an Inquest was held at Hakin Back, near Milford, on view of the body of George Beynon, shipwright, in the employ of Mr. William Roberts, of that place.  It appeared in evidence that the deceased was going to his work as usual on Saturday morning, about six o'clock, - had the misfortune to slip over a declivity of twenty feet high, - and falling on his head, broke his neck, and died instantly. - Verdict, Accidental Death. -  The deceased was a sober, honest, and industrious man, and has left a widow and two children to lament his untimely end.


The Cambrian, 5 July 1823


MILFORD, July 3.

Melancholy Accident by two Steam vessels running on board each other.

   On Saturday morning, between 1 and 2 o'clock, put in here, with passengers, the Hibernia Stream packet, from Bristol, bound to Dublin. - it appears, that at half past ten the preceding evening, when 3 miles off this harbour, she fell in with the S t. Patrick Steam packet, on her passage from Dublin to Bristol. .  .  .  . 

   Unfortunately, in an attempt to come within hail, it is said the St. Patrick's bow ran against the starboard quarter, opposite the main -mast, of the Hibernia, and carried away bulwarks, stantions, shear-plank, and top timers, nearly to the water's edge; the contact was so tremendous, sudden, and unexpected, that Mr. Thos. Swap (a passenger, travelling for the firm of Messrs. Deacon, Son, and Ellis, of No. 13, Milk-street, and No. 3, Cateaton-street, London), who was sitting on the Hibernia's deck, in a chair abreast the poop, was crushed to instant death between the cutwater of the St. Patrick and poop of the former; .  .  .   A Coroner's inquest was held on the body of the unfortunate gentleman, who delivered a verdict of - Accidental Death. [See also Letters, same page.]


The Cambrian, 13 September 1823


   The lamented death of H. Stokes, Esq. of Stockwell, near Haverfordwest, having occasioned a vacancy in the office of Coroner for this county, that gentleman's brother (J. S. Stokes, Esq. of Cuffern,) has announced himself as a Candidate for the situation.


The Cambrian, 6 December 1823


   A female corpse in a state of nudity, was washed on shore in Freshwater West Bay, in this county, on Thursday last; it is supposed to have lain in the water for some time, as both feet were off and several parts of the body mutilated.  An inquest was held on the body, and the Right Hon. Lord Cawdor (in consequence of a successor to the late Mr. Stokes not having been appointed) acted as Coroner.  Verdict, Found Drowned. - Some apples have also been driven on shore on the coast.

   The body of a boy, in a state of nudity, about fourteen years of age, was washed on shore on Monday last in Sandy Haven Creek, near the farm of the Rev. Wm. Warlow, of Harbranston, near Milford.  A Coroner's inquest has been held, and a verdict returned, of - Found drowned.


The Cambrian, 20 December 1823


MILFORD, DEC. 18. - The ketch Hope, of Southampton, Mason, master, from Barnstaple for his Majesty's Dock-yard, in this port, with oak plank, sailed thence the 9th inst., was driven on shore on the 11th inst. at Fresh Water West, to the southward of Milford Harbour, and totally wrecked; the master was unfortunately drowned in consequence of the rope to which he had made himself fast breaking before he could be hauled out of the breakers.


The Cambrian, 23 October 1824

   On Thursday last a Coroner's inquest was held at the Commercial Hotel, Milford, on view of the body of Walter Murphy, a seaman belonging to His Majesty's Steam Packet Meteor, who was found drowned on the preceding morning, supposed to have fallen out of the boat, when in the act of sculling her.  Verdict, Found Drowned.


Cambrian, 27 November 1824

   A Coroner's Inquest was held this week at Milford, on a view of the body of a boy, the son of Philip Thomas, who, in endeavouring to procure a boat to cross over to Haking, fell over the quay and was drowned. - Verdict, Accidental Death.


The Cambrian, 2 April 1825

   Last week as Mr. Small, the landlord of the Windsor Castle inn, Cold-Blow, near Narberth, was returning from a journey, and riding at a swift rate, he was either thrown from off his horse, or the horse fell with him, and he was killed on the spot.  He was found almost immediately afterwards by one of his chaise drivers, who was riding at some distance behind him, and conveyed him to a neighbouring house.  An inquest was held on the body, and the verdict was Accidental Death.


The Cambrian, 28 January 1826

   On Tuesday night last, Mary Morris, who had been for some time confined in Hubberstone Poor-house, near Milford, in a state of mental derangement, made her escape and hanged herself at Haven's Head.  Verdict - Insanity.


The Cambrian, 10 June 1826

   A poor servant man, who had been suspended by a rope over the cliff, near Linney Head, to the southward of Milford Harbour, for the purpose of collecting gulls' eggs, unfortunately became entangled with the rocks, and, when hailed up, his body presented a very appalling spectacle, being cut and galled dreadfully by the pressure of the rope and his swinging to and fro about the rocks, that after a few minutes he expired.  A Coroner's inquest was held on the body - Verdict, - Accidental Death.

   There have been several instances of loss of life in a similar way near that place, and should serve as a caution to persons attempting it again, for such a trifling object.


The Cambrian, 28 April 1827

   On Wednesday last, a labouring man named John White, of Priory, near Milford, who apparently was in good health, while in the act of setting potatoes, fell down and immediately expired.  Verdict, Died by the visitation of God.


The Cambrian, 4 August 1827

MELANCHOLY OCCURRENCE. - On Thursday, the 26th ult. as three men and a boy, named Benjamin Nash., John Evans, John Thomas, and Thos. Morris, inhabitants of Tenby, were occupied in fishing, the boat was unfortunately upset at a considerable distance from shore, and, melancholy to state, two of the men and the boy were dreamed.  The survivor (Nash) used every effort for a long time to keep the poor lade from sinking, but was obliged eventually to leave him to his unhappy fate to save his own life, which he with great difficulty accomplished, by buoying himself up with the oars until he got off his clothes; and when he reached the shore he was nearly exhausted  The unfortunate men have left wives and families to lament their sad deprivation, and what adds to the distressing event is, that the poor woman Evans, lost her former husband by the upsetting of a boat in the same bay, a few years since, and was then left with two children, one of whom is the lad now drowned.


The Cambrian, 29 September 1827

   On Friday last, as a sail boat was coming from Skomar Island, it blowing fresh at the time, she upset and went down just at the entrance of Milford haven, and we are sorry to day, that Mr. Philip Jones, of [Hakin], a respectable man, of some property, and a boy, servant of Mr. Rowe on the Island, were both drowned, and have not yet been picked up.  The boat, a gig, belonging to Mr. Brown, pilot, of Hakin, was since been brought in.  It is supposed they had too much sail on for a boat of her description.


The Cambrian, 20 October 1827

   On the same evening, was launched from Pembroke Royal Dock Yard, two brigs of war, rated 10 guns each, one called the Spry, and the other the Various, intended to be employed on the packet service on the Falmouth station; they were completely rigged in five days, and sailed on Saturday last. .  .  .  .   One of the riggers, while in the act of handing a coil of rope from the yard to his Majesty's ship Spry, fell between that vessel and the jetty, and was unfortunately killed on the spot.


The Cambrian, 15 December 1827

   On Sunday last, as the smack Henrietta, of Milford, Capt. Attridge, was proceeding on her voyage from Swansea to Baltimore, when off St. Goena's Head, John Gilmore, an Irish lad, about 18 or 19 years of age, an apprentice, fell out of the cross-trees on the lee side, into the water, and notwithstanding every exertion was made by the master and crew, in heaving the vessel to, and getting the boat out, there was such a heavy sea running, he   sank before assistance could be afforded him.


The Cambrian, 16 February 1828

   A poor man of the name of James Lewis, a bargeman, while bringing up a vessel to Haverfordwest, on Thursday morning last, unfortunately fell overboard, and was drowned., leaving a widow and seven children to lament their loss.


Carmarthen Journal, 22 February 1828

   On Wednesday last, a Coroner's Inquest was held on the body of Ann Thomas, of the parish of Kenarth, in this county, who met with her death by the following circumstance:- At seven o'clock on Sunday evening last, as the family of Jas. James, of Pengwerngarno, near Newcastle Emlyn, were sitting in the house, they heard an unusual noise in the yard.  On going out to ascertain the cause, they found it to be the unfortunate female, who, as it is believed, had thrown herself into the well.  She was soon extricated and put to bed, but as they had not the precaution of changing her clothes, in two hours after she was found to be a corpse.  Verdict - Died in consequence of having been in wet clothes.

   The Jury strongly censured the want of humanity which Mrs. James had shewn in suffering her to remain two hours in her wet clothes, which doubtless was the mediate cause of her death.


The Cambrian, 26 April 1828

   On Saturday last an industrious old seaman, named Vesey Dean, took a passenger in his ferry-boat to Pembroke, and on his return to Hakin, it blowing at the time strong from the northward, his boat was unfortunately upset by a squall in Pennar Mouth Gut; he reached the shore on one of the oars, but survived the accident only a few hours.  His body was attended to the grave by a respectable number of Freemasons, to which society he belonged.  He has left a widow to lament his untimely end.


The Cambrian, 19 July 1828

MELANCHOLY AND DISTRESSING ACCIDENT. - On Sunday margining last, a poor industrious labouring man of the name of John Evans, aged about 32, living at South-brook, three miles to the westward of the town of Milford, had for some time previously contemplated a visit to his aged mother, living at Angle, on the opposite side of the haven, for which purpose he had borrowed a boat, and took with him his three sons, the eldest only eleven years of age, and had then all newly clothed for the visit.  But, notwithstanding it blew a fresh gale from the N.W., the wind being fair, he was not to be deterred from his purpose, and accordingly set his sail double reefed.  Before, however, he gained the distant shore, distant about three miles, the boat was unfortunately upset in Angle Bay, and melancholy to relate, the whole of them met a watery grave.  The first intimation of the accident was their hats seen floating - then one of the boys was picked up, and on the tide receding, the whole of the bodies and the boat were found on the mud.  A subscription has been very liberally entered into by the inhabitants of Milford, for the distressed widow and her three daughters, the eldest of whom, about eight years of age, was to have accompanied he father, but her new clothes were not ready, otherwise she would also have shared the same fate. - An inquest has been held on the bodies, verdict accidental death, and they were conveyed home and interred in the same grave on Wednesday, at Herbrandston.


Carmarthen Journal, 25 July 1828

   On Saturday last, as David Davies, servant to Mr. Benjamin Thomas, shopkeeper, Glandur, in the parish of Llanvirnach, Pembrokeshire, was driving a cart loaded with lime, his foot slipped, in mounting the shaft, and the wheel passed over his leg, hip, and shoulder, and shattered and bruised them most dreadfully.  He died in consequence on Tuesday last.  A coroner's inquest was held on the body, and the jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death


Carmarthen Journal, 29 August 1828

MILFORD, AUGUST 28. - On Tuesday morning last, about four o'clock, Samuel Owen, aged 35, mate of the schooner Economy, of Newport, fell from the top-sail yard of that vessel on deck, and was killed on the spot.  The schooner was near the harbour's mouth, on her voyage for Cork.  He was a native of Cheek Point, near Waterford, and son of the late Thomas Owen, Esq. many years agent for the Post Office Packets plying between this port and Milford.


The Great Sessions for the County of Pembroke commenced on Saturday, the 23d inst.

PRISONERS. - Thomas Bevans, charged with having administered poison to his wife.  The prisoner was about fifty years of age.  It appeared from the evidence that the deceased came to her death by taking poison.  After she was buried suspicion was attached to the prisoner, and the deceased was taken out of her grave, and being opened by a surgeon, the poison was found in the body. It turned, from the evidence, however, that the deceased, previous to her death, had mentioned to her daughter, that she could not live many days, and from this and other circumstances, it is supposed that she took the poison herself. - Acquitted.


Carmarthen Journal, 3 October 1828

   On Friday last, being Narberth fair day, J. Beynon, a native of this county, was found lying dead, with his horse standing beside him, in a field adjoining the Castle Inn, in that town.  As he was seen to mount his horse in the field about two minutes before, and as it was a remarkable quiet animal, and from no violence appearing on his body, it is supposed that he must have died before he fell, most likely from an apoplectic attack.  A coroner's inquest was held next day on the body, and after a patient enquiry, a verdict was returned by the jury - Died by the visitation of God.


Carmarthen Journal, 21 November 1828

MILFORD, NOV. 20. - On Friday last an inquest was held by Mr. Stokes, and a respectable jury, at the Dolphin Inn, in this town, on a view of the body of Thomas Dickinson, Esq. of London, who had been sojourning some time at this place for the benefit of his health.  The deceased was subject to fits, and in consequence was accompanied by a female attendant, and who found him (although apparently in a state of improved health since his stay here) a corpse in bed that morning.

FATAL ACCIDENT. - Wednesday morning last, one of the young men in the employ of Messrs. Lloyd and Marychurch, ironmongers, Haverfordwest, having to repair the lock of a double-barrelled gun, which had been left at the shop for that purpose (and very incautiously loaded,) placed a cap on one of the locks, and pulled the trigger, when the gun went off and lodged the whole contents in the face of a lad named Prytheroe, an apprentice to Messrs. L. and M. aged 16.  The lad, although his brains were partly blown out, lingered for about three hours and a half, when his sufferings were terminated by death. Medical assistance was immediately procured, but of course, proved of no avail.  In the evening a coroner's inquest was held, when a verdict of Homicide by misadventure, was returned. .  .  . 


The Cambrian, 22 November 1828


At Haverfordwest, on Sunday, the 9th instant, Capt. John Hughes, of Milford, who was seized with a fit of apoplexy in the morning, and died the same day, aged 56 years.


Carmarthen Journal, 2 January 1829

TENBY. - The sloop Betsey, of Pembroke, Morgans, Master, lost a man named Thomas Pearce overboard, off the East point of Caldy Island, in making for Caldy road, on Friday, the 26th ult.  This melancholy accident happened by the vessel jibbing rather unexpectedly, and the poor man got entangled in the peck-downhaul which dragged him over, he held fast in the rope until the captain and others on board had nearly hauled him in again, but before they could accomplish this desirable object, he lost his hold, and immediately sunk to rise no more.


The Cambrian, 6 June 1829

MELANCHOLY EVENT. - On Sunday last, Mr. J. Lloyd, chemist and druggist, of Haverfordwest (who had only commenced business on the preceding day), while bathing in the river at that place, in the presence of some friends, was seized a few minutes after he entered the water with an apoplectic fit, and it is supposed he immediately expired.  The body was instantly conveyed to a house near, and medical aid procured, but which was of no avail.  An inquest was held on the following day by J. Stokes, Esq. of Cuffern, Coroner for the county, when a Verdict - Died by the visitation of God was recorded.


Carmarthen  Journal, 19 June 1829

   Another instance of the incautious conduct of allowing loaded fire-arms to remain in the house occurred at Fatling brook, near Winston, Pembrokeshire, on Tuesday se'nnight.  A boy about 12 years, being requested to reach a gun which a neighbour had borrowed, by some means or other it went off, and blew out the brains of another boy standing close by.


The Monmouthshire Merlin, 18 July 1829

   A poor man lost his life at Jeffreyston Collieries, Pembrokeshire, last week, by the explosion of hydrogen.


Carmarthen Journal, 4 December 1829

  Serious apprehensions are entertained for the safety of Mr. Richard Propert, who, with a youth named Cavannah, left Milord Haven in a half-decked vessel last Saturday week, and have not since been heard of. .  .  . 

The Cambrian, 13 February 1830

MELANCHOLY ACCIDENT. - On Tuesday last, Benjamin Williams, mason, who was employed to sweep a chimney belonging to a gentleman of Haverfordwest, having got on the roof, by some means he lost his footing, and fell from a great height, whereby his skull was fractured, and he died on the spot.


The Cambrian, 22 May 1830

FATAL ACCIDENT. - As the bark Ponselle was proceeding on her voyage from Milford to Quebec, when off Cape Clear, on Friday evening se'nnight, about nine o'clock, blowing very strong, it was thought necessary to shorten sail, and among other things to reef the spanker; Mr. Henry Davies, the chief mate, and another man jumping into the jolly boat for that purpose, one of the davids gave way, and both were precipitated into the sea. .  .  .   Davies was a promising young man, in the 25th year of his age (son of Mr. John Davies, of the brig Tenby), .  .  . 


The Cambrian, 10 July 1830

   On Saturday last an inquest was held at Angle, in the port of Milford, on the body of Mr. Thomas Powell, of Portclew, farmer, who had floated on shore the day previous near that place on the outside of the harbour.  He had been missing since the Tuesday week before.  Verdict - Found drowned.


Carmarthen Journal, 16 July 1830

CAUTION. - On Tuesday last, as David Loyd, a blacksmith, of Hakin, was assisting in leading in hay belonging to B. R. Robertson, Esq., of Hakin Point, in galloping across the field, he fell off the cart, and the wheel passing over his head, killed him on the spot.  An inquest was held on the body, and a verdict of Accidental Death returned.  The deceased has left a wife and large family to lament his untimely end.


The Cambrian, 7 August 1830

   A serious accident from fire damp occurred on Tuesday last, at a coal-pit at Landshipping, near Pembroke, the property of Sir J. Owen, Bart. by which fourteen persons of both sexes employed therein were badly burnt.  Two young men have since died, and there are others not expected to survive long.


Carmarthen Journal, 12 November 1830

MILFORD. - A melancholy accident occurred here on Tuesday night last, between 7 and 8 p.m. the Frolic, Steam Vessel, .  .  .  [damage to barge]  .  .  .   and the barge was being towed on shore, when within a short distance of he beach it was discovered hat she was nearly full of water, the tow boat immediately proceeded a ashore for assistance, but before their return the boat had sunk and melancholy to relate, a young man, a mason, name Roach, in he employ of Mr. Lewis, sunk with her to rise no more. .  .  . 


Carmarthen Journal, 19 November 1830

   On Saturday Morning last, the body of the unfortunate young man, who was drowned last week at Milford, was picked up by his father after a diligent search of 4 days, and on being taken out of the water, presented a most shocking appearance, he face being almost eaten away by the fish, and the remainder part of the body turned black.  On the following morning an inquest was held at the Dolphin Inn, before J. S. Stokes, Esq. coroner, when the jury found a verdict accordingly.


Carmarthen Journal, 26 November 1830

   On Wednesday last, an inquest was held at the Dolphin Inn, Milford, before J. S. Stokes, Esq. on the body of John Williams, seaman on board his Majesty's tender Experiment.  It appeared that the deceased, last Friday evening, in a state of intoxication, wanted the boat o go ashore, and on being refused, he immediately jumped overboard, and it is supposed, hurt himself so that he sunk to rise no more, until last Tuesday, when he was picked up by his friends, much lacerated. Verdict - Accidentally drowned.

Carmarthen Journal, 18 March 1831


   Martha Williams, for concealing the birth of her bastard child, - No Bill.

   Martha Jenkins, ..., for concealing the birth of her bastard child, - No Bill.


Carmarthen Journal, 18 March 1831

   On Tuesday last, an inquest was held at Milford before Henry Stokes, Esq. Coroner for the county, on view of the bodies of John Davies and John Young, seamen belonging o the Quarantine Service at Milford, who were unfortunately drowned by the upsetting of a boat in a gale of wind, whilst attempting to get on board the Lazarette on Sunday morning, the 6th inst. Whose bodies were picked up the day before.  Verdict, Accidental Death by drowning. . 


The Cambrian, 21 May 1831

   On Monday last, a lad in the position of postillion with Sir John Owen, Bart. was drowned while bathing in one of the ponds contiguous to Orielton House.  The body was not found until Wednesday.


The Cambrian, 6 August 1831

INFANTICIDE. - On Friday, the 29th ult. An inquest was held before John Stokes, Esq. one of the Coroners for Pembrokeshire, at a place called Hook, about four miles from Haverfordwest, on view of the body of a newly born female child, found dead near that place.  From the numerous evidence that was adduced, it appeared that a single woman, of the name of Anne James, living near Hook, had for some time been observed to be pregnant, and, on Wednesday, the 27th, being working at a coal-pit in the parish of Freyshop, nearly a mile from her residence, she, about a quarter before four o'clock of that day complained of a head-ache, and having obtained permission to go homer, went in a different direction.  Between five and six o'clock, a boy, of the name of Phelps, while passing by an old coal bank, in which there is a large pit of the depth of about 72 feet, heard the cry of a child three or four times, and in order to see whence it proceeded, he got on an adjoining hedge, and saw Anne James near the pit's mouth.  He did not speak to her, nor she to him, but passed on.  After he had gone the distance of a couple of fields, he met a collier, to whom he mentioned the circumstance, and pointed the other's attention, to a female who he said was Anne James, and who was then going in a direction from the pit to her house.  In the course of the evening, being observed to have been delivered of her child, she was charged by her mother with it, to whom she admitted that she had been delivered of a dead-born child, and had thrown it in a pit in Nash Wood, (but which is some distance from the place where the boy saw her).  That pit was searched by her friends, but nothing could be found.  In the meantime the boy informed his master of what he had seen, and on Thursday, several persons went to the pit referred to by the boy, and having made the necessary preparations, one of the men went down and brought up the child, wrapt in a check apron and a handkerchief.  The later was identified to be the property of Anne James, she having worn them at the time she left off work on the Wednesday.

   The Surgeon, who examined the child gave it as his decided opinion that it had been born alive, and had met its death by a compound fracture of the skull, occasioned no doubt by its being precipitated into the pit.  The immense quantity of extravasated blood found under the scalp evidently betokened in the surgeon's estimation that the child had been born alive, for had it been dead at its birth, there could have been no such flow of blood.

   The Coroner summed up the case to the \jury, who instantly returned a verdict of Wilful Murder against Anne James, against whom a warrant was issued, under which she has been since committed to take her trial at the next Spring Assizes.


Carmarthen Journal, 2 December 1831

   On Friday last, a body of a man (unknown) in a very mangled state, was picked up at sea between Tenby and Caldy, and interred in the former place/  It is supposed to be the body of the cabin-boy which was  washed over-board from the Dutch Galliol, De Goaverneur Van Imgott, that went on shore on Towin Point..


Carmarthen Journal, 2 December 1831

   Wednesday last, a poor man, named Davies, a labourer, residing at Harm Aston, near Milford, fell down, and instantly expired.


Carmarthen Journal, 9 December 1831

CAUTION TO CHILDREN PLAYING WITH FIRE. - On Wednesday last, as some boys were amusing themselves with a bonfire, the clothes of a fine child about five years of age, son of Capt. Riches, Revenue Contractor at Milford, caught fire, and he was so much burned as to cause is death in a few hours.

Carmarthen Journal, 23 December 1831

   On Wednesday evening se'nnight, the Diligence, 1st class revenue cuter, Sir John Reid, Bart., commander, sailed from Milford, for Plymouth, but in consequence of the wind veering to the S. W., she put back, and at ten o'clock Thursday morning, about four miles from the harbour's mouth, the main sheet strop gave way when the boom was adrift.  The boatswain, Andrews, a valuable man, got on the boom to secure it by a tackle, was thrown off into the sea, but before the boat could be got out and pull to him, although a good swimmer, he had sunk, supposed to be occasioned by a large pair of heavy boots he had on.

The Cambrian, 21 January 1832
  William Griffiths, a seaman belonging to the Ardent, of Cardigan, Capt. Dodson, fell into the hold of the vessel on Sunday, and expired on the following day.
  On Tuesday last, William Roberts, a labourer in the employ of Gaye Starbuck, Esq., died in consequence of a fall over a high quarry (upwards of 60 feet perpendicular), into Mr. Roberts, the builder's yard, at Milford.  It was after night fall, and he was fiunished with a lanthorn, the whirling of which in his fall led to his discovery, having been seen by some ferry boys, and immediate assistance was rendered.  His knee was severely wounded by falling on a spike nail, and otherwise so severely injured that medical aid proved unavailing.  A Coroner's Inquest held in both cases - Verdicts, Accidental Death.

The Cambrian, 21 January 1832
  On Sunday night last, suddenly, Philip Powell, Esq. of Landshipping, Pemnbrokeshire.  He had retired to his bed in his usual health, and half an hour afterwards he was a corpse.

The Cambrian, 18 February 1832
At Windmll Farm, near Pembroke, George, third son of Mr. William Millard.  A few days ago, as he was riding a neighbour's ass, he was thrown several times, and at last falling on a stake, he was so much injured as to cause his death.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 3 March 1832
  On Saturday evening last, as Mr. James Hughes, architect, of Narbeth, was returning from Haverfordwest, he was either thrown or fell from his horse, and killed on the spot, supposed by a dislocation of the neck, as there was no mark on the body, but a great hemorrhage from one of the ears. - Strange to relate, a person who was riding in company with him had no knowledge of the accident, till after having gone near two miles he discovered the horse was without a rider.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 24 March 1832
  About eight o'clock on Wednesday night week Mr. John Brown, owner and master of the pilot smack Brothers and Sisters, of Milford, by some accident was pitched over the side of the vessel, lying in Deal-road, and was seen floating by the man and boy on board, but before they could scull to his assistance in the boat, he had sunk in deep water.

The Cambrian, 24 March 1832
ASSIZE INTELLIGENCE. - On the 15th instant, the Commission for the County of Pembroke, and the Town and County of Haverfordwest, was opened by Mr. Baron Bolland, who charged the several Grand Juries, and adjourned until nine o'clock the following day.
  Anne James, aged 26, was then arraigned for the willful murder of her female bastard child.  She pleaded Not Guilty.  Mr. James Evans, in a most feeling and impressive speech opened the case for the prosecution, and having detailed the leading facts, proceeded to call witnesses.
  Thomas Hodge. I am one of the Overseers at Langam, in this county.  I know the prisoner, who lived in that parish.  About June last, I called on her, and she promised to come with me before Magistrate, to swear the child of which she was then pregnant.  She did not, however, come - nor did I believe she bore it.  I was present at the Roarer Pit on the 28th July last, and saw a child taken out of it.  It was dead, and it was delivered to Mary Halfhead.
  James Barrah: I have known the prisoner for seven years; she was in my service for nearly two years.  I remember on the 27th July last, while working with me, she complained of a headache.  She then worked at a pit about a mile from her home.  She asked leave to go home, and I gave her leave.  She left about twenty minutes before four, and went towards her own home.  I know Nash Wood, but not the Dungeon-hill field.  Nash Wood lies right in her road home.  I observed her to be with child.
  Cross-examine: There are a great many coal-pits in the neighbourhood - the country is full of coal-pits.  She was employed to work at the winch, which requires great exertion.
  John Philps: I am 16 years old, and am servant to Mr. Philpin, of Hook.  On the 27th July, was sent with oxen to field; it was about five or six o'clock.  I know the Dungeon-hill field, which lay in my road.  I know the Roarer Pit; it is in that field.  I went near to it; there is a great bank round it.  I went under the bank, and when there heard the noise of a child; I heard four or five cries.  I went back 15 or 17 yards, and got on an adjoining bank, and when on the top of it, saw the prisoner standing up, but not the whole of her face - about half of it. She had a coat and jacket and a straw-bonnet on; she had no apron.  Her place of residence is about 200 Yards from mine.  She was about 14 yards from the Roarer Pit when I saw her.  I went on, and in the next field but one I met John James, and told him what I had seen.  I and he turned round, and saw her going towards her mother's house.  I pointed her out to James.  I got home between six and seven, and told my mistress what I had seen.  There was a good deal of furze and bushes about the pit.
  Cross-examined: The bank was formed of the refuse coal - most coal-pits have it.  When in the field I could not see what was inside that bank.  The bank was sloping upwards from the field to the top.  She was standing upright, and I was about 20 yards from her, the same side as she was.  There is no cottage in that field, but close to the side of the other hedge, and about 300 yards from the pit.  People and young children live there. The cottage is as far as from here to the lower end of the Short Row.
  Hester Thomas: On the 27th July last, I was at work with prisoner at Barrah's coal-pit.  She went away alone about four o'clock.  She said she had a pain in her head.  She went in her usual way home.  She seemed large in the family way.   Next saw her between eight and nine at night, in her mother's house.  I then observed her shape; she looked less than when she left me.  Her mother was crying.  Her father wished her to tell where her child was.  She said she had no child.  The prisoner, her mother, and myself then went up in a direction for the place where we supposed the child was.  When we came near my home she fainted, and afterwards told me she had her child in Nash Wood, in a pit near which she had been once cutting boughs.  I know that pit; it is not the Roarer Pit.  The prisoner's mother went to fetch the nurse.  The prisoner asked her to go.  She continued at my house until her removal to gaol.  I afterwards went to the pit in Nash Wood, but found no child here.
  Cross-examined: I knew she was in the family way, although she never spoke to me about it.  On the night she came to my house, I saw taken out of her pocket two little caps, a belly-band, a forehead piece, and a shirt, which were things for a new-born child.  She told me her child was dead born.
  David Golland: a collier at Hook Bridge: I went to the Roarer Pit on the 29th July, about eleven o'clock; four women went with me. When there we fastened a rope to a coal-pit bar, let it down into the pit, and drew up a dirty white cloth.  I gave the cloth to May Halfhead.  We then sent for Mr. Philpin and Mr. Hodge, and having fixed things to go down, I went down into the pit, which is 72 feet deep, and found a little child dead there, and also an apron with it.  I brought them up, and they were delivered to Mary Halfhead.
  Mary Halhead corroborated the evidence of Golland, and stated that she delivered he child to Dr. Millard at the time of the inquest.
  Geo. L. Millard, Esq: I was present at the coroner's inquest, and saw the child; I examined it, and found two bones of the skull broken, and a great exravasation of blood in the brain.  Both bones in a direct line from the crown of the head towards the ear were broken.  The umbilical cord was mot severed.  The child was full grown.  It was a female child.  In my judgment it was born alive. In my judgment the extravasation of blood on the brain was the cause of its death.  The extravasation was caused by the rupture of several blood vessels of the brain.  Some of the ruptures were occasioned by the fracture of the skull, and others not. A fall down a pit as described would have produced such a fracture.
  From the extravastion of blood the child must have breathed. If the child was dead, extravasation of blood to that extent could not have taken place.  It was a healthy child, and the omission to tie the umbilical cord may occasion death; if so, the child would die of bleeding.  In my judgment it did not die of bleeding; as if it did, there would have been no extravasation of blood on the brain.
  The next day, I, my brother, and Mr. Phillips examined the body, and we were of opinion, that respiration had taken place.  It is possible a woman may be delivered at standing, and the child may fall to the ground and occasion a fracture of the skull, sufficient to cause death, but I won't say immediate death.
  Cross-examined: I know the materials of which banks of coal pits are composed, a hard mass of coals and stones.  The bones of a new-born child are soft and easily fractured.  A child born, when standing on this hard substance and falling thereon, might have its skull fractured and extravasation of blood produced.  The navel string would in that case be inevitably broken.  It is possible that extravasation might take place after death by hemorrhage, but in my judgment it is not likely.
  Nathaniel Millard, Esq: I am a surgeon and brother to the last witness.  I have been in Court during his examination; I have heard it, and believe what he has stated to be correct.
  Mary Pritchett:  I am a married woman and have had two children.  On the 28th July I went to the pit in Nash Wood, and here found an after-birth of a child.  I saw marks of blood about ten yards from the pit.
  The prisoner, on being called for her defence, stated, she was delivered of her child at the Roarer Pit, and hat it rolled into it before she could possibly catch it.  She then called one witness to character.
  Mr. Baron Boland summed up at great length, leaving it to the Jury to say whether the child had been born alive, and whether it had met its death either by the accident alleged by the prisoner, or by her willful act.
  The Jury retired for some time, and returned acquitting her of willful murder, but finding her guilty of concealment of birth.  She was sentenced to one year's imprisonment.
.  .  .  
  Mary Morgan aged 22, was indicted for the concealment of the birth of her bastard child.  Mr. E. V. Williams, conducted the prosecution, and called,
  Mr. Thomas Hambly, - who stated that the prisoner had been his servant.  He observed her pregnancy, and in a joking manner said, she would soon be as big as Mrs. Hughes, of the Coburg Inn, Tenby. Witness lived on the Island of St. Margaret's, near Tenby. He had observed the prisoner's bed, shortly before her committal, and from the appearances thereon, he was satisfied she had been delivered of a child.
  Richard Nash: Is a boatman, ferrying from St. Margaret's to Tenby.  He knew the prisoner, and observed, about four months ago, she was with child.  He had searched he shores round he Island, but found nothing except a dirty cloth.
  Mary Ann Hambly, ten years old: Is a daughter of the first witness.  Knew the prisoner, with whom she occasionally slept.  About a fort night ago, she went into the prisoner's bedroom, and saw her on her knees in the bed, with her hands over her head, resting on the bolster. She complained of being ill.  A bag was on the bed, and a noise proceeded from the bag like the choaking of a child; something appeared to move in it.  Witness went to examine it, but the prisoner jumped on the bag and pressed her hands greatly on it.  The noise then ceased.  The prisoner gave her 2d. to say nothing about that she had seen.
  Mary Hambly, the mother of the last wirnsss knows the prisoner.  Examined her bed, and was satisfied from the appearance thereof, that prisoner was delivered of a child.
  Mr. Galbraith, Surgeon, examined the prisoner on the day of her committal; was satisfied that the prisoner had been delivered of a mature child.
  The Judge on examining the indictment, found each count to state, that the prisoner was delivered of a child, describing its sex.  The child had not been found, and he thought the indictment could not be supported.  He, however, would not stop the case, but reserve the point for the opinion of the Judges.  He then summed up, and the prisoner was found guilty and sentenced to eighteen months imprisonment.

Monmouthshire Merlin, 7 April 1832
  In the morning of yesterday week, as the Rev. John Foley, of Veran, mear Maenclochog, Pembrokeshire, was returning from Narberth fair, his horse threw him, and he was killed on the spot, supposed  from a concussion of the brain.

The Cambrian, 30 September 1832
On the 23d inst. of apoplexy, William Thomas, Esq. of H.M. Dock-yard, Pembroke.

Cambrian, 2 March 1833
  For the last three weeks, we have had a series of blowing weather, which, we regret to state, has proved fatal to many vessels and their crews; but on Tuesday night and Wednesday last, we experienced a perfect hurricane.  .  .     The Neapolitan brig Felicity, G. G. D'Amon, master, from Glasgow, laden with coals and bale goods, bound for Palermo and Leghorn, in returning to Milford Haven in the night of Tuesday, ran on shore in Sandy Haven Bay, opposite the Stack Rock, within the harbor; when she was discovered at daylight a complete wreck, and was finally knocked all to boards. The crew, 18 in number, were sticking by the wreck, 6 of whom were drowned in attempting to swim on shore or washed off into the sea.  .  .  .   The Boatswain, a stout man of 6 feet, died in his arms whilst being conveyed on shore, and a boy about 13 years of age, after being carried safe to land.  .  .  .

Cambrian, 30 March 1833
SHOCKING ACCIDENT. - A poor old bed-ridden woman of the name of Jones, was burned to death at Haverfordwest, on Tuesday week.  In her attempt to save some linen which were in flames, she fell on the fire; and, notwithstanding her cries alarmed her neighbours, and every assistance was rendered her, she died after lingering in great agony until the following morning.

Cambrian, 11 May 1833
 An inquest was held on Saturday last, on the body of a man in a very putrid stated, dressed in sailor's clothes, blue cotton neckerchief, with a white diamond in it, washed on shore at Castle Pill, near Milford.  His forehead was perforated as if by a gunshot exactly in the centre.  Verdict, Found Drowned.
  On Monday last, as a young man named Amos Thomas, aged 19, an apprentice to Mr. David Williams, mason, was at work in the house of Mr. Gould, blockmaker, Hakin, near Milford, by some unfortunate accident, fell from the roof on the pavement, alighting on his side, and was so dreadfully injured that he died the following day.

Cambrian, 18 May 1833
  FATAL ACCIDENTS. - On Sunday se'nnight, a boy, servant to Mrs. Voyle, of Trewent, near Pembroke, was let down by a rope over the stupendous cliffs, to collect eggs from the nests of the wildfowl in the cavities of the rock.  He brought up a fine lot, and was receiving the congratulations and praises of his companions for his active exertions - overjoyed, the boy began to run and leap about, and unfortunately his foot slipped, when he fell, rolled over the precipice, and was killed.  
  On the same day, a lad, about 14 years of age, named Samuel John, whilst bird-nesting off a rock near Cardigan Island, fell into the sea, by which he was unfortunately drowned.  After a long search, his body was picked up at some distance from whence he had fallen.  An inquest was held on the body, and a verdict of Accidental Death returned.

Cambrian, 15 June 1833
  On Monday last a person of the name of John James, in a state of despondency from poverty, suspended himself to a beam in his house, at Narberth, and when discovered life was completely extinct.  He had been formerly a respectable farmer, living at Sodston, near Narberth.  An inquest was held on the body the next day, and a verdict of Lunacy returned by a respectable Jury.

Cambrian, 20 July 1833
  As the men employed on the Pier-head at Pembroke Dock were proceeding to their work on Wednesday morning, they observed an object floating on the surface of the water, which, on a nearer survey, proved to be the body of a man of gigantic stature, totally divested of every article of wearing apparel, except a handkerchief tied round his neck.  A Coroner's inquest will be held on the body.

Cambrian, 14 September 1833
MURDER. - Caution to Sabbath Breakers. - On Sunday se'nnight, four idle fellows, two of them brothers of the name of Jenkins, who were strolling about the grounds of Mr. Brown, farmer, of Goodnook, near Haverfordwest, fell upon a young man in Mr. Brown's employ of the name of James, who had very properly ordered them off the premises, and injured him so seriously by beating him with sticks, kicking him, and jumping upon his body, that after suffering dreadfully, he died the following day.  A Coroner's Inquest was held upon his body, and a verdict of Wilful Murder returned against the two Jenkinses, who have been committed to prison to take their trial at the next assizes.   .  .

Glamorgan Gazette, 21 September 1833
  MILFORD. - MELANCHOLY ACCIDENT. -On Saturday week, a lad about 17 years of age, who with two others, had been on that day dredging for oysters, was drowned near Angle, in consequence of the boat being overladen; which, approaching the shore, filled with water and capsized.  One of the survivors escaped by swimming to the shore, and the other poor fellow, having succeeded in keeping himself above water with the assistance of a part of the wreck, was rescued from a watery grave by some persons who, as soon as the accident was perceived, put off in another boat, and rendered their timely assistance.  An inquest was held on the following Monday, and a verdict returned accordingly.
SINGULAR AND MELANCHOLY CIRCUMSTANCE. - On Saturday last, a very respectable woman, who has been in the habit of attending the market in this town, during the absence of the butcher, was in the act of reaching down a calf's head for the purpose of serving a customer, when, shocking to relate, the stool on which she stood unfortunately slipped from under her, and, in attempting to save herself, the hook entered and perforated quite through her hand, from which she was completely suspended.  Her screams brought a number of persons immediately to her assistance, when she was conveyed, fainting from loss of blood, to the nearest public-house.  A surgeon happening to pass at the time, promptly rendered his assistance in dressing the wound, and it is confidently hoped, although she may presumably lose the use of her hand, that no worse consequences will ensure.

Cambrian, 16 November 1833
FATAL ACCIDENT. - About nine o'clock on Saturday morning last as Benjamin Dalby, aged 51 years, a lighterman in the employ of Mr. Wilson, of Cresswell Quay, Pembrokeshire, was about to remove the lighter, he fell overboard, and was drowned.  He was a sober, honest, and industrious man, and has left a wife and six children to lament his untimely end.

Cambrian, 7 December 1833
  On Tuesday last, an inquest was held at Haverfordwest, on the body of a boy named James John, who it appears came to his death under the following circumstances: - about a fortnight before he was struck with a stone by another boy of the same name, which was aimed at another person; the unfortunate lad lingered about eight or nine days, and then expired. Both boys reside near the Old Quay, Haverfordwest, and were first cousins.  Verdict - Manslaughter .
  On Sunday night last, Ann Rixon, left her husband's house at Liddaston, in the parish of Hubberstone, Pembrokeshire, to proceed to her brother's, living in that neighbourhood, which place she did not reach.  The next morning her brother passing a deep pool of water on the demnesne of St. Botolph's, saw a bonnet floating, and after obtaining assistance discovered the body of his unfortunate sister. Verdict, Found drowned.

Glamorgan Gazette, 21 December 1833

BODY FOUND. - On Tuesday afternoon, about one o'clock, 70 pigs, and the body of one man, were washed ashore at Freshwater East, near Milford, supposed to have come ashore from a vessel recently wrecked on that coast.
MELANCHOLY ACCIDENT.  We have just heard (Wednesday last) that an American vessel has been washed ashore at Freshwater East, near the city of St. David's, with upwards of 60 passengers on board, of whom only ten were saved.  The particulars have not yet transpired, but will appear in our next.
INQUEST. - On Tuesday last, an inquest was held on the body of George Rixon, a seaman belonging to the pilot-boat Mary Ann, who was drowned as mentioned in our paper of the week before last.  Verdict - Found Drowned.

The Cambrian, 14 March 1840


   On Thursday se'nnight, an Inquest was held on the body of Shadrach Lewis, an account of whose murder appeared in our last.  No new fact was elicited to implicate any one in the horrid affair; but one of the deceased's children deposed to having seen his father wound one of the villains with a pitchfork.  We are given to understand that a clue has been obtained, which it is probable will lead to the discovery of the perpetrators of the foul deed. It appears that two persons were seen drinking in a public-house the evening previous to the murder, one of whom has since been missing, and it is thought, he proceeded into Glamorganshire.  It is supposed this is the man who was stabbed with a pitchfork by the unfortunate victim, in the struggle.  A verdict of wilful murder against some person or persons unknown, was returned by the jury.  A reward of 200 l. has been promised for the apprehension of the murderers. - See Advt.


Cambrian, 28 March 1840


The horrid murder of Shadrach Lewis, in the parish of Clydey, in the county of Pembroke, has, as would naturally be supposed, created the most intense interest in the neighbourhood where this most dreaded crime was committed.  We are happy to state that, through the indefatigable exertions of D. S. Davis, Esq., of Pentre, the chairman of the Cardiganshire quarter sessions, and the other Magistrates acting with him, together with the assistance rendered them by Mr. Dowzing, one of the metropolitan police, and Mr. Pugh, the chief officer of police in Carmarthen, three persons have been apprehended; and from the evidence, there is little doubt of their being the actual murderers.  We learn that a great many more will ere long be taken into custody as accessories before the fact, who had conspired together to get rid of the unhappy victim, in consequence of his being employed to protect the woods of Col. Colby, of Fynone, and other gentlemen, and of his having given evidence against several parties for cutting and stealing timber.


The Cambrian, 8 August 1840



Thomas Thomas, aged 33, and Benjamin Griffiths, aged 30, were severally indicted for having, on the 24th of February last, at the parish of Clydy, feloniously, wilfully, and of their malice afore thought, killed and murdered one Shadrach Lewis.  They severally pleaded, Not Guilty.  [Guilty, with a recommendation to mercy.]


Monmouthshire Merlin, 15 August 1840

MELANCHOLY ACCIDENT. - On Wednesday evening, a melancholy accident occurred near Haverfordwest, whereby Rob. Podger, aged 19, the under-steward of the Star steamer, came to an untimely end.  The deceased and another youth, a passenger in the Star from Bristol, went on the river in the boat of the steamer, to amuse themselves shooting gulls and herons.  They had fired several shots, and the deceased was sitting at the stern of the boat, which the passenger was rowing, when the former observing a gull coming towards them, snatched up the gun, which was lying on the thwart, and taking hold of it by the muzzle and pulling it hastily to him, the hammer caught by the thwart, and was drawn back so far, that when released it had sufficient force to cause the gun to explode.  The muzzle being close to the side of Podger, the entire charge passed through his body, causing instantaneous death.  The consternation of his youthful companion may more readily be concaved than described.  His fate is deeply lamented by Capt. Rees, and all the crew, as his amiable disposition had endeared him to them.  An inquest was held on the body the next day before W. Stokes, Esq., when a verdict of Accidental death was returned.  The deceased was a native of Weston-super-Mare, to which place his body was taken  on the return of the Star, and delivered to his bereaved parents, in whose grief we sincerely sympathize.

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School