Skip to Content

Colonial Cases


Carmarthen Journal, 19 March 1830

DREADFUL HOMICIDE. - Saturday night, Patrick Byrne, a mariner, was assaulted between the hours of eleven and twelve o'clock in White Wine-street, Irish-town, by here or four men who had been drinking in a public house.  One of the party stabbed him in the left side with a dagger, which penetrated the third and fourth ribs to the heart.  The unfortunate man fell under the blow, and never spoke afterwards.  Death released him from mortal suffering in a few minutes after being conveyed to the house of his afflicted mother, whose principal, in fact only support he was.

   The assassin charged with this horrible act is named Nicholas Hayes, by trade a cutler, who absconded immediately after the deadly deed, but was secured at his lodgings in Cornwallis-street.  The Mayor, Henry Rose, Esq. held an Inquisition on the body of deceased the next day, when four witnesses were examined, and he joy agreed to a verdict of willful murder

   The dagger is in possession of the authorities.  The greatest praise is due to Gorman, a watch of St. Michael's, for apprehending the person supposed to be concerned in killing Byrne - The windows of Hayes' house in the square, who is charged with killing Byrnes the sailor, in the street on Saturday night, were broken on Monday evening by some of the populace attending his funeral. - Limerick Chronicle.


Monmouthshire Merlin, 20 October 1832
  A few days ago, while a party of the 70th Regiment were exercising in a sham fight in the barrack-yard of Waterford, a recruit, having forgot to return his ramrod after loading the gun, fired, and we regret to ad that it struck one of his comrades, who was in front of him, in the head; there are no hopes entertained of his recovery.  The operation of extracting the ramrod from his head, where it remained for some time, was of the most painful description.


Cambrian, 3 August 1833
  We have been favoured with the following particulars of the fatal accident at Dublin, on the 8th of last month, by which Captain Webber, of the 47th Regiment, and Aid-de-camp to Sir Hussey Vivian, the Commander of the Forces in Ireland, lost his life.
  From the most authentic accounts it has been ascertained that Captain Weber left his own residence, about half-past two o'clock on the day of his death, on horseback, and was riding towards the Zoological Gardens, whither his wife and children had proceeded; when, in attempting to pass a hackney coach coming towards him, his horse became restive, endeavoured to turn round, and fell backwards.  Capt. Webber fell with great violence on the back of his lead, which occasioned a fracture of the skull and concussion of the brain. He was instantly taken up, and conveyed to the Royal Barracks, where every assistance that the most eminent surgeons could afford was at hand, but unfortunately the case was hopeless from the first, and in little more than two hours, he breathed his last. [Military Funeral.]

Glamorgan Gazette, 7 September 1833
DEATH OF CAPTAIN WEBBER. -At the Dublin Commission, August 28, Duffy, the coachman, was put on his trial for manslaughter, he having been the person driving the coach, the noise of which frightened Captain Webber's horse, and was the cause of the melancholy death of that lamented gentleman.  According to the evidence, Duffy was driving his coach at a slow pace along the narrow pass from the Zoological Gardens to the main road in the Phoenix Park, when Captain Webber approached from the direction towards which the coach was going.  In this narrow pass there was scarcely space for two carriages to pass.  Duffy was not on his own side, and had more of the road occupied than was necessary for him.  Upon Captain Webber coming near to him, he called out to Duffy to draw up his horses.  Duffy did not take any notice of this direction, and continued driving on.  Captain Webber again desired him to stop, and beckoned with his whip to him to keep his own side of the road.  The horse of Captain Webber was not more than a yard distant from the coach at this time.  The coach was still driven on, and Captain Webber was oblige to try and pas the coach on the right side of the road, and in making the attempt the wheel of the coach struck against the horse's leg; the horse reared and Captain Webber was knocked to the ground, and was killed in consequence.  The prisoner received a good character from his employer.  He was found guilty of manslaughter, and recommended to mercy by the jury.

Published by Centre for Comparative Law, History and Governance at Macquarie Law School